Vortex Awarded OTA for Army’s Next Gen Squad Weapon Fire Control

Rockrivr1

NES Member
Interesting

VORTEX OPTICS AWARDED OTA FOR THE US ARMY’S COMPETITIVELY SOLICITED NEXT GENERATION SQUAD WEAPON FIRE CONTROL (NGSW-FC) PROTOTYPE PROGRAM

BARNEVELD, Wis. For the last 18 years, innovation has meant everything to Vortex Optics. It’s meant our emergence as a leader in the sport optics industry. It’s allowed us to provide our customers the tools they need to pursue and protect what matters most in their lives.

But starting today, our dedication to innovation means something even more.

We’re honored to announce that the US Army – PM Soldier Lethality awarded Vortex® an agreement to deliver the Next Generation Squad Weapon-Fire Control (NGSW-FC) Production Ready Prototypes for Soldier TouchPoint (STP) evaluations.

1587500533429.jpeg

This is from Al Gore's amazing internet:

The company itself is based in Wisconsin, but the riflescopes they market are manufactured overseas: Japan, Phillipines or China, depending on the product line. At the moment there are four distinct riflescope product lines marketed by Vortex: least expensive are Chinese-made Crossfire scopes.

I thought they were American designed, China assembled, but dont quote me on that. I don’t think it’s CHEAP glass, they just assemble with tiny slave labor fingers??

Ya I don’t know, they seem like good products, I don’t have any, but well liked from all the posts I see here, but not sure how that can fit the .mil USA req’s.

Poortex, nice...

I'd agree on the Crossfire series as they are made in China and I've heard mixed reviews on them. Their top of the line Razor and Viper scopes are made in Japan though and are pretty good. Have to imagine they would start making these at their Japan facility or even open up a new US facility to provide for the .mil contract.

They have pretty good high end stuff, and their mid-range stuff is mostly ok, low end stuff is low end stuff. Their red dots are garbage. My Razor II HD is made in Japan, a bit heavy but superb. I would imagine they wouldn't be building these in China. It looks complicated.

This is from Al Gore's amazing internet:

The company itself is based in Wisconsin, but the riflescopes they market are manufactured overseas: Japan, Phillipines or China, depending on the product line. At the moment there are four distinct riflescope product lines marketed by Vortex: least expensive are Chinese-made Crossfire scopes.
They have pretty good high end stuff, and their mid-range stuff is mostly ok, low end stuff is low end stuff. Their red dots are garbage. My Razor II HD is made in Japan, a bit heavy but superb. I would imagine they wouldn't be building these in China. It looks complicated.

the fact that they make anything in communist china disqualified them as a vendor in my mind. Americans don’t do busines with communists. vortex optics does not even exist in my mind as a legitimate vendor. Leupold or Nighforce for me. Buy once cry once. And if anyone is interested I used the Leupold guarantee on a scope that I had for about 20 years. Adjustments stopped working, they fixed it fast and at no charge

Lol they won a contract to produce a scope the military will probably never actually use for anything.

For those wondering, remember how many RFPs weve seen for:

<insert pic of gun shop commando placeholder guy here, with mouth open, spittle, bad breath, etc probably some fat guy with suspenders>

"dah millutary is going to replace the m9!" (that went on for like 20 years)
"dah millutary is going to replace the 5.56 with (insert boutique caliber nobody uses here) "
"dah millutary is going to replayce the m4/m16 with (insert some weird gun here)...

Vortex.. sounds like a car part...[rofl2]
No love here for cheap optics.
Buy once, cry once.
Sorry the word made in China on an optic does not instill a sense of quality after all the years of crap optics I have seen come out of that country.
Things may be changing in that department. But call me slow to be willing to put trust in them now.

Warranty like being a professional mechanic and installing Autozone parts in a car.
You've lost all my respect as an installer if I see those boxes in your shop!
Your car broken down on the side of the road again.. All because you used the cheapest part you could find.
Instead of using OEM or a better quality part and staying away from their crap unless you want to see me again and possibly much sooner, rather than later.

Last edited:
Poortex, nice...

Excuse me bad guys can we call time out while I send my scope into warranty. Vortex is garbage I wouldn’t use one on my kids red Ryder. But the warranty is so gooooddd. Yes because you will have to use it.

View attachment 350677

Something tells me you guys don’t have experience with the Razor line.

Their Razor 1-6 Gen II is great and has been In use on SOF carbines from various units. The Vortex Razor Gen II is pretty much the gold standard for second focal plane LPVOs. And the new 1-10 Gen III is arguably superior to the Nightforce ATACR 1-8 for a number of reasons.

Their higher end laser range finders also get great reviews.

Vortex.. sounds like a car part...[rofl2]
No love here for cheap optics.
Buy once, cry once.
Sorry the word made in China on an optic does not instill a sense of quality after all the years of crap optics I have seen come out of that country.
Things may be changing in that department. But call me slow to be willing to put trust in them now.

This will likely be made in Japan with their Razor line, but Chinese manufacturing is changing. The Chinese have the ability to manufacture quality stuff now for the most part. It just depends on how the company specs the product and how good the QC. Though, the Chinese glass quality isn’t great. As an example, Primary Arms has their 1-6 SLx LPVOs made in China and they hold up to abuse really well. Not just for the price, but trust worthy in adverse conditions. But yeah, glass quality still has aberrations and poor light transmission.

Another airsoft optic [puke]

No chinese anything! Not one component. DOD Certificate of Origin required.

Prototype award prior to the virus. This will change very quickly.

Last edited:
Read it carefully NES - "We’re honored to announce that the US Army – PM Soldier Lethality awarded Vortex® an agreement to deliver the Next Generation Squad Weapon-Fire Control (NGSW-FC) Production Ready Prototypes for Soldier TouchPoint (STP) evaluations"

They are only providing PROTOTYPES for EVALUATIONS . . . long way to go here . . . soldiers won't be using this for a long long time even if it somehow gets the nod

Something tells me you guys don’t have experience with the Razor line.

Their Razor 1-6 Gen II is great and has been In use on SOF carbines from various units. The Vortex Razor Gen II is pretty much the gold standard for second focal plane LPVOs. And the new 1-10 Gen III is arguably superior to the Nightforce ATACR 1-8 for a number of reasons.

Their higher end laser range finders also get great reviews.
I'm sure they're great. [smile]

Its funny reading this. I've been digging into scopes recently because I'm looking to get something in the 5-20ish range.

My budget is $1500. With my "Industry insider" discounts, I can get a

Leupold Mark 5
Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 4.5-27 x 56
Nightforce NX8

If I step up to about 1800 I can get a Schmidt and Bender (now made in the US for much less money and not using Schott glass) PM2

All track flawlessly and I'm not just talking about a box test. I'm talking about dialing up .1 mill across the entire elevation range and tracking every click to ensure it moves .1 mil on the target. a/k/a tall test.

The Leupold seems to have the best glass. But at this price point, they all have great glass

Leupold has a capped windage knob. Better if you dial for distance and hold for wind.

All have a lifetime warranty, except for the Schmidt and Bender whihc has a 2 year warranty.

But here's the crazy thing. The Vortex is the SECOND most popular scope in use in the PRS. If you aren't familiar with PRS, its insane. The course of fire includes hiking to several vantage points and engaging targets between roughly 800 and 1600 yards in the field, while on the clock.

The first most popular is the Nightforce ATACR.

The Schmidt and Bender is down on the list but is the most popular among the top 10 finishers.

The Leupold is nowhere to be found, YET. People who shoot at this level are trying them out and liking what they find. I suspect the fact that this scope has won the contract for the newest sniper optic as well as the semi auto sniper system will get people looking.

the fact that they make anything in communist china disqualified them as a vendor in my mind. Americans don’t do busines with communists. vortex optics does not even exist in my mind as a legitimate vendor. Leupold or Nighforce for me. Buy once cry once. And if anyone is interested I used the Leupold guarantee on a scope that I had for about 20 years. Adjustments stopped working, they fixed it fast and at no charge

Nearly every scope maker sources less expensive scopes from China. And if you can find one that does make all their scopes in the US, I guarantee you that their lower end scopes use Chinese glass.

Read it carefully NES - "We’re honored to announce that the US Army – PM Soldier Lethality awarded Vortex® an agreement to deliver the Next Generation Squad Weapon-Fire Control (NGSW-FC) Production Ready Prototypes for Soldier TouchPoint (STP) evaluations"

They are only providing PROTOTYPES for EVALUATIONS . . . long way to go here . . . soldiers won't be using this for a long long time even if it somehow gets the nod

I wouldn’t be so sure. Soldier Lethality is one of the enumerated cross functional team efforts by the Army Futures Command, and the AFC is steamrolling forward with field-able research efforts. The AFC is really taking a flexible approach to research and procurement, counter to traditional big defense. The ENGV-Bs are already fielded to some units, as an example.

I would wager the Army expects an ability to field these in limited quantities within the next 3 years.

Last edited:
Well, they don't actually make everything in China, so that is just wrong. In fact, they are making their Gen3 optics in the US. If we applied your logic to everything, we wouldn't be able to build tanks, planes or ammunition for the military. Nor would we have any phones, TV's and most of everything we use every day. I am not saying it is right, just accurate.

Nearly every scope maker sources less expensive scopes from China. And if you can find one that does make all their scopes in the US, I guarantee you that their lower end scopes use Chinese glass.

Counterfeit Warning | Leupold

“Leupold riflescopes are all designed, machined, and assembled in our Beaverton Oregon manufacturing facility. We do not have any other riflescope manufacturing facilities or offices anywhere in the world. So if you come across a Leupold riflescope being shipped into the United States from China, it is a very likely a counterfeit.”

Leupold does not do business with Chinese communists. vortex on the other hand seems to think it is ok to transact with communists. I prefer not do business with communists or communis sympathizers like vortex.

Last edited:

Or as I like to call it - "stuff that will never actually be used by most people"

Leupold does not do business with Chinese communists.

vortex on the other hand seems to think it is ok to transact with communists. I prefer not do business with communists or communis sympathizers like vortex.

They’re communist sympathizers now? It’s not like they’re helping the Chinese government oppress its people like google and Apple. They have their value lines made in China to be able to offer value lines. Their other optics are not made in China.

If you have an issue with some things being made in China, then I hope you don’t own any electronics.

Well, they don't actually make everything in China, so that is just wrong. In fact, they are making their Gen3 optics in the US. If we applied your logic to everything, we wouldn't be able to build tanks, planes or ammunition for the military. Nor would we have any phones, TV's and most of everything we use every day. I am not saying it is right, just accurate.

you are correct but now the China virus has woken up a sleeping giant called America and people are revolting at the George bush one world view People now know what China is all about.

Back
Top Bottom