• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Volquartsen Target .22 Pistols?

Anyone have one or know anything about them? They look pretty cool, although are a bit spendy.

Scorpion Limited Model, 1911 Style Frame, Hi-Viz Front with Target Rear, Hogue Grips | Volquartsen Firearms

848-0-scorpion.jpg

I have a buddy that has one, its amazing. Bullseye, steel challenge, does it all. Tier 1 .22 at Tier 1 Pricing. If you wanted to buy a Ruger Mk4 and then dress it up to open class, this is a viable alternative cost wise.

I have a buddy that has one, its amazing. Bullseye, steel challenge, does it all. Tier 1 .22 at Tier 1 Pricing. If you wanted to buy a Ruger Mk4 and then dress it up to open class, this is a viable alternative cost wise.

Interesting. Why do you mention the Ruger? Is this Volquartsen a clone of the Ruger design?

Interesting. Why do you mention the Ruger? Is this Volquartsen a clone of the Ruger design?
It's basically a Ruger mark 3 or 4. Volquartsen is one of the main aftermarket companies for converting Ruger competition .22's, so their gun is basically a Ruger with all their parts on it.

It's basically a Ruger mark 3 or 4. Volquartsen is one of the main aftermarket companies for converting Ruger competition .22's, so their gun is basically a Ruger with all their parts on it.

Oh, man. Does that mean that the horrific field stripping of the old Mk series is present in this gun?

Exactly what sdog said. But also in cost comparison.

A Ruger Mk4 (not including the SS model) will run you about 550, add in the VQ trigger kit (135), compensator (about 60 for the high end TK one) The add-on charging ring (40), and the Hi-Viz sights are 50 as well (I'll leave dot sight outs of this one). Now you are up to ~$835. Not including the aftermarket grips and bolt which can set you back another few C-notes if you get both. You can get a scorpion for about 1200 which comes with all of the bells and whistles, trigger, built in compensator, possible extended heavy barrel/upper, hi-viz sights. You'll save more with the Ruger no doubt, but if you wanted this pistol for competition or to have a Gucci .22 the price is comparable enough, you don't have to build it, and if something goes wrong no dealing with multiple companies.

Just my thoughts, and I'm not knocking the Ruger, I love mine and am coming close to 10k rounds through it. I built it up because it was what I could afford and It was a fun project for a new gun owner. But if I had the funds and wanted a purpose built race gun I'd get the VQ.

Oh, man. Does that mean that the horrific field stripping of the old Mk series is present in this gun?

Possibly, I don't know if the newer ones have the Mk4 style takedown.

Are Smith 41's mass compliant? Volquartsens?

Four seasons sells VQ's if they sell them it can;t be too hard to get them anywhere else. Or just order the receiver and parts kit your own.

The market is filled with set up mark 3's ever since the mark 4 came out. Your better off just buying one of those and saving some money.

I have a set up mark 3 and definitely wouldn't call it a race gun. It's definitely a capable gun (I can shoot a 280 with it) but if I was going to buy another gun, it would be a pardini.

The market is filled with set up mark 3's ever since the mark 4 came out. Your better off just buying one of those and saving some money.

I have a set up mark 3 and definitely wouldn't call it a race gun. It's definitely a capable gun (I can shoot a 280 with it) but if I was going to buy another gun, it would be a pardini.

I'm not sure what a "race gun" is.

I have seen so many people have trouble with Pardini pistols that I am not really interested in one.

A race gun is really well set up for competition shooting, usually with a price tag to match. Pardini, Benelli, Walther gsp.

The Ruger mark series and s&w model 41 are both solid guns, but they are like the Mustang and Camaro. The others are like Ferrari's.

Volquartsen is like a Saleen Mustang, like I said. I love Mustangs, but if I'm going to drop "Saleen" money, I'm going to buy a Porche instead. Get it?

There's a couple others on the forum that are very well set up, too. They are a little over priced, but are basically all volquartsen.

I have a friend selling a very well set up 41 in like new condition. Not cheap though. Let me know if you want more info. He's in western mass.

Hey guys, this is a thread where I am seeking information about the Volquartsen pistols. I am curious about them. Looking for information and firsthand experience, if any.

Although it is nice of you to share your opinions about other pistols, they are not relevant to this thread. Thanks!

Sorry about derailing your thread. I thought we answered your question pretty clearly though.

My opinion was you could buy a ruger real cheaply and put the volquartsen accesories that you want on it and make the same gun.

Sigfanboy's opinion is that you get it already set up without the hassle of setting up a Ruger and dealing with 2 companies.

My added input to this is if you are planning on doing competition 22 shooting with the gun you showed, you are probably going to mount a red dot (so no need for the hi viz sights), you'll probably go with a different grip (so no need for the Hogue grips)

So in the end, you could have bought a Ruger (perhaps that sweet mark 2 in the fs section that someone is selling for $350) and customize it with the volquartsen accessories that actually help you and save a bunch of money. Get a trigger, grips, red dot and a lightened barrel if you want.

But to answer your initial question...yes the volquartsen is a nicely set up gun that should be very reliable (unless it stovepipes) and shoot fairly accurately.

Sorry about derailing your thread. I thought we answered your question pretty clearly though.

My opinion was you could buy a ruger real cheaply and put the volquartsen accesories that you want on it and make the same gun.

Sigfanboy's opinion is that you get it already set up without the hassle of setting up a Ruger and dealing with 2 companies.

My added input to this is if you are planning on doing competition 22 shooting with the gun you showed, you are probably going to mount a red dot (so no need for the hi viz sights), you'll probably go with a different grip (so no need for the Hogue grips)

So in the end, you could have bought a Ruger (perhaps that sweet mark 2 in the fs section that someone is selling for $350) and customize it with the volquartsen accessories that actually help you and save a bunch of money. Get a trigger, grips, red dot and a lightened barrel if you want.

But to answer your initial question...yes the volquartsen is a nicely set up gun that should be very reliable (unless it stovepipes) and shoot fairly accurately.

No worries.

I guess I should have been more verbose in my original post:

I shoot bullseye in a league every year. Have done so for a while now; at least 13 years. I have a decent bullseye gun (below) that shoots better than I do, and I don't have the money to spend on a Volquartsen, I am just interested in what it is and how it performs! I was unaware of its existence until I saw an email from Carl at FS with a picture of one. It looks pretty cool , so I am curious. Not in the market, just curious. [smile]
i-GDQrGvT-L.jpg

Nice gun.

I just realized, the gun you showed is based on the Ruger 22/45 frame which I am personally not a fan of and thought was the cheaper model Mark. It looks like that Volquartsen is based on the Mark 3 model, too, so no easy take down.

Nice gun.

I just realized, the gun you showed is based on the Ruger 22/45 frame which I am personally not a fan of and thought was the cheaper model Mark. It looks like that Volquartsen is based on the Mark 3 model, too, so no easy take down.

The pistol pictured in the opening post of this thread is a Volquartsen pistol based on MK III compatible components, so the takedown is comparable to a MKIII. Volquartsen is currently making Ruger compatible pistols in both MKIII and MKIV style designs. Historically, both Volquartsen and Tactical Solutions have made a lot of MKIII style components, and I do not know what either company plans going forward. There is enough aftermarket that they could continue to make MKIII style receivers, or not.

The grip frame on the pistol in the first post is a Volquartsen Aluminum 22/45 style grip. It is not the plastic Ruger 22/45 grip. The Volquartsen Aluminum grip frame, complete with all VQ internal parts, costs about $350. If you don't like the grip angle, then you certainly might not like it, but it is a decently made item.

The pistol pictured in the opening post of this thread is a Volquartsen pistol based on MK III compatible components, so the takedown is comparable to a MKIII. Volquartsen is currently making Ruger compatible pistols in both MKIII and MKIV style designs. Historically, both Volquartsen and Tactical Solutions have made a lot of MKIII style components, and I do not know what either company plans going forward. There is enough aftermarket that they could continue to make MKIII style receivers, or not.

The grip frame on the pistol in the first post is a Volquartsen Aluminum 22/45 style grip. It is not the plastic Ruger 22/45 grip. The Volquartsen Aluminum grip frame, complete with all VQ internal parts, costs about $350. If you don't like the grip angle, then you certainly might not like it, but it is a decently made item.
Oh good, to know.

The take down on the mark 4 is unbelievably easy. It would be silly to buy a new mark 3 or any gun based on that format, IMO, unless you got a deal on a used one or found one very well set up.

The take down on the mark 4 is unbelievably easy. It would be silly to buy a new mark 3 or any gun based on that format, IMO, unless you got a deal on a used one or found one very well set up.

I only partially agree with this statement. The takedown of earlier Ruger Mark pistols is not difficult once you get the hang of it. I do tell anyone who is looking for their first Ruger .22 pistol to get a MKIV, since that just makes things easier. But for someone, such as myself, who is already used to the older design, the style of pistol does not make a lot of difference. I would still buy older Ruger .22 pistols if the deal was right. In fact, in some ways, the Ruger MKII is still the best of the bunch. The Mark II's have neither a loaded chamber indicator nor a magazine safety, so you don't have to do anything to make the guns look right and work "right".

UPDATE: After writing the post above, I had a further thought about the Volquartsen pistol that is the subject of this thread. I am pretty sure that Volquartsen pistol has no loaded chamber indicator, no magazine disconnect, and has a traditional magazine release on the side of the grip frame. These are the features that many people want in a pistol, and very few Ruger .22 pistols ship in this configuration. People commonly modify Ruger pistols to have all of these features, but the VQ pistol comes nicely set up right out of the box.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom