1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

VMUG Advantage subscription/program

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Golddiggie, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

2. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member

There's enough of us here in NH to justify starting a local VMUG instead of always having to travel to Boston or Portland.

I joined a couple years ago, it's the least expensive way to get legit VMWare licenses for home use. They sometimes offer 10-20% off discounts on the membership with codes like ADVVMWORLD,USERCON17, etc.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  3. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

Hey Kevin, do you know if those codes still work? IF they do, that might just accelerate my purchase time frame. [wink]

As for making another VMUG, I'd rather be a member of a NH one over the 'Boston' one. I am a member of VTUG. More for the Summer Slam event held every July. Either post up, or shoot me a PM, if this is going to happen. I have no idea what's needed to get this started, but I'd be willing to help out if needed.

--update--
    Of all the codes on that site (you linked) only ADV17 actually works... You can also only apply ONE code to an order now.
    "Only one discount code per order may be applied!"

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  4. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

I've also signed up for the December 13th VMUG Virtual Event... I'll be on that even if it means I need to take a day off of work to do it.

5. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

Had a chat with my first boss/manager this morning about the VMUG Advantage subscription... Found out that I could expense the cost. So, made the purchase (with one of my CC's) and submitted the expense report for it. He approved it within a couple of minutes. :) So year one is costing ME $0.00... [rofl2] Now, I don't expect to be there for the renewal. Part of why I wanted this was to get additional product knowledge to open up more opportunities. :D

Kevin_NH likes this.
  6. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

Pulled down my first set of items via the Advantage program... Looking forward to setting up some of them with my current host. I plan to get at least one more host ASAP. If I can swing it, I'll build up a pair using the i7-7700T processor and also build them provisioned to use vSAN soon after.

Hopefully, I'll be able to set up vRealize Operations Enterprise first as well as vRealize Automation Enterprise with my current host. If not, then even getting some older (cheaper) hosts will be on the fast path. At least that way I'll be able to run more of the tools and such.

Oh, and retail cost of what I've obtained keys for is about $50k... [dance]

7. Night_solstice

Night_solstice NES Member

I'm a member, but haven't been to a meeting (not convenient to me), but use the software program all the time for testing, learning, and playing around in my home lab.

8. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member

I agree, meeting locations haven't been very convenient. I've been talking with VMUG org about additional locations, like Nashua and Framingham.

9. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

I go to the VTUG event in Maine each July. I've not gone to the one at Gillette, ever.

IF we can get a good meeting, or chapter, that's NH based, I'd make more effort to go to those events/meetings. IMO, it won't be easy to get the vendors involved, like the other events do. But if it can be pulled off, all the better.

Kevin_NH, if you need help on that front, send me a PM... I'd be interested in getting involved from an early stage (or the start) on a new chapter. ;)

10. Kevin_NH

Kevin_NH NES Member