Vitamins and Minerals

There's been a lot of chatter on the forum with respect to vitamins and minerals. Figured I would start a thread to learn more about different supplement companies, doses and potential benefits and side effects.

For about 5 months I have been on a regimen consisting of one daily multi-vitamin, 1200mg of fish oil, 50mg of zinc, 1000mg of vitamin C and I'll start taking 125mcg/5000IU of D3. I didn't take D3 because we were getting enough natural D being outside a lot this spring and summer. I just received my blood work and I'm low on iron. I will be taking an iron supplement soon as well.

All of the vitamins and minerals I take are from Natures Bounty. For whatever reason I seem to like this company. I know nothing about them though. I know the supplement market is riddled with snake oil....

What else should I look for and does anyone have any experience with fish oil for joint health? After 5 months I don't see much benefit from it. Could I double the dose?

Be careful with the iron supplement.

I would drop the multi-vitamin and go easy on the zinc. The C, the fish oil and the D3 are all good. Plus, eat as many vegetables as you can stand.

Just read this this morning as a matter of fact. Executive summary, move your body every day, don't eat any crap and find a purpose (ikigai to the Japanese).

my 2 cents:
Profit margin for a lot of this stuff is outrageous. I highly recommend buying Target brand, or Costco brand to save some $$.

Check out info/books from Linus Pauling if you get a chance. Probably the best/most qualified scientist who believed very strongly in vitamin/minerals for health.

I take everything you take. In addition I take CoQ10, a magnesium and a B100 complex, which is all the B vitamins as well as niacin, folic acid and a few others.

I fins that Amazon has pretty good prices on all the vitamins. For example, the Nature Made B100 complex is $24 in Walgreens and $10 on Amazon....

I would drop the multi-vitamin and go easy on the zinc. The C, the fish oil and the D3 are all good. Plus, eat as many vegetables as you can stand.

Just read this this morning as a matter of fact. Executive summary, move your body every day, don't eat any crap and find a purpose (ikigai to the Japanese).

I'll keep taking the multi for now.... I still need to do my own research on this.... Even though the zinc says 50mg I think it only has 7mg of elemental zinc. Eating as much vegetables as you can stand is probably the right answer for everyone. I have been told that veggies are the best antioxidant.
my 2 cents:
Profit margin for a lot of this stuff is outrageous. I highly recommend buying Target brand, or Costco brand to save some $$.

Check out info/books from Linus Pauling if you get a chance. Probably the best/most qualified scientist who believed very strongly in vitamin/minerals for health.
I agree with the different brands. The Natures Bounty is very cheap too.... Amazon carries their entire lineup.
I take everything you take. In addition I take CoQ10, a magnesium and a B100 complex, which is all the B vitamins as well as niacin, folic acid and a few others.

I fins that Amazon has pretty good prices on all the vitamins. For example, the Nature Made B100 complex is $24 in Walgreens and $10 on Amazon....
Agreed. Amazon seems to have everything I wanted and more. I went to Target and they didn't really have shit.

Figured I would follow up on this. I stopped taking 1000mg of vitamin C and Zinc. Over the past 5 days all of my joints are aching. If this what arthritis feels like I don't want to get old. My knees, elbows and other joints hurt. Never felt something like this before.

Or I have the rona which is possible I guess. I'm still taking my multi and D and fish oil. I hope this goes away in a week. Kind of concerning.....

My wife had a nasty cold for about 2 weeks. My daughter had a cold for about 3 days.... so.....

Vitamins are big business and its health benefits are really not proven. Not even sure it is regulated in any way by the FDA (not sure that is good or bad). I think much of the pills people are swallowing just get pissed out anyway because it is more than the body can handle at once. Like somebody said above, eat right and exercise. Vitamin D is probably the only thing I would consider, and that is only during the winter months. Only one way to get it, sunshine.

My interest in stuff that grows wild around us has led me down quite the rabbit hole regarding diet. We do eat like sh&t here in the states. I am not into the organic, non gmo and whatever the latest religion is, but our diet is a concern. Cooking from scratch, and staying away from processed crap is way more important than popping pills. I bet if we went back to how people ate just 60 years ago or so, we would be leaner, and much healthier. I bet our ability to fight off things like COVID-19 would be much better as well.

Yep, definitely be careful with taking additional Iron. I wasn't feeling too good and found out I have Hemocromatosis, which is a buildup of iron in the system. Wasn't eating a lot of read meat and it came down to the iron in my multivitamin. Move to a multivitamin without iron and my levels equaled out again. Not something you want to mess around with.

There's been a lot of chatter on the forum with respect to vitamins and minerals. Figured I would start a thread to learn more about different supplement companies, doses and potential benefits and side effects.

For about 5 months I have been on a regimen consisting of one daily multi-vitamin, 1200mg of fish oil, 50mg of zinc, 1000mg of vitamin C and I'll start taking 125mcg/5000IU of D3. I didn't take D3 because we were getting enough natural D being outside a lot this spring and summer. I just received my blood work and I'm low on iron. I will be taking an iron supplement soon as well.

All of the vitamins and minerals I take are from Natures Bounty. For whatever reason I seem to like this company. I know nothing about them though. I know the supplement market is riddled with snake oil....

What else should I look for and does anyone have any experience with fish oil for joint health? After 5 months I don't see much benefit from it. Could I double the dose?
you can fix an iron deficit with red meat, chicken, beans and leafy greens.

Pharmaceutical vitamins have very low bioavailability and are mostly useless. It's better to just eat a healthy diet. Every single thing your body needs can be found in healthy whole foods in forms ready to be absorbed by your body.

The supplement market isn't riddled with snake oil, it is itself a 100% snake oil market.

Yep, definitely be careful with taking additional Iron. I wasn't feeling too good and found out I have Hemocromatosis, which is a buildup of iron in the system. Wasn't eating a lot of read meat and it came down to the iron in my multivitamin. Move to a multivitamin without iron and my levels equaled out again. Not something you want to mess around with.

Iron supplements are for women. Period.

I was taking B12 for a short time years ago because of something I had read somewhere. After a few days, maybe a week, I began to get wicked stomach pains. Couldnt figure it out but finally stopped the B12 and after a day or two they went away. Told a nurse I knew at the time and she said that if youre eating right, your body will get whatever it needs.

If your pee is neon colored, you are not absorbing the vitamins you take and are literally pissing away the money you spent. This was very common for me until I switched to a 'whole food'/vegetarian multivitamin from GNC. I now absorb everything I take, no more glow-in-the-dark bathroom breaks. I don't know why this works better than the normal lab-manufactured stuff (including the regular GNC vitamins), but it does.

When this covid crap started and it was recommended to take zinc, C, and D3, I grabbed a couple bottles of Nature's Blend Mens 50+ Multivitamin. I am over 40 but under 50, eat 3 square meals a day and get plenty of sun. I am probably pissing most of this out but figured it cheap insurance as I work in a hospital (no patient care).
20201009_093915.jpg20201009_093946.jpg

Everyone is different no one answer fits all here. I'm 63, have thalassemia so I still take a multi plus iron and 2000 IU vit D daily. Do some supplements of green tea extract and turmeric. Do they help? who know for sure.

I used to take a shitload of supplements, then I realized it was mostly a big waste of money. As of now, I've narrows it down to:
-men's multivitamin
-fish oil
-vitamin D
-magnesium
-coq10
-glucosamine w/ chondroitin

Missing some, possibly a B-complex or zinc.

And I second @MarkT that eggs are THE most beneficial food item of all time.

I also ordered Balance of Nature veggie and fruit supplements. Could be pure snake oil but I'm going to give it a try.

My daily intake now is vit c, vit d and zinc. That along with some healthy foods should help my immune system.

Decided to cut out cream and sugar in my morning coffee. Starts tomorrow... Let's see how that goes.

I also ordered Balance of Nature veggie and fruit supplements. Could be pure snake oil but I'm going to give it a try.

My daily intake now is vit c, vit d and zinc. That along with some healthy foods should help my immune system.

Decided to cut out cream and sugar in my morning coffee. Starts tomorrow... Let's see how that goes.
Once you go black, you never go back.

Back
Top Bottom