• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vista Outdoor says it's dropping firearms from their product portfolio

Very sad. I have also noticed that there have been NO sales in the weekly flyers for the sporting stores for shotgun ammo for target shooting like the past years.

By 2020. It's not like they are closing it down - they are selling it off. LOL WTF cares??? If ammo and gun makers can make money, there will always be investors to buy their stock.

REI? What the hell do they sell except kayaks and other yuppie crap...do they sell firearms or ammo? Vista is a bunch of cowards and this BS.....

In an earlier article on 3/3/18, REI says the gun companies need to solve the gun problem. Does REI mean that the gun companies should make up the gun laws like Herr Healey? Just can't make this sh*t up.

In a statement, REI says gun companies need to help solve the gun violence problem. "This morning we learned that Vista does not plan to make a public statement that outlines a clear plan of action. As a result, we have decided to place a hold on future orders of products that vista sells,” the company said.

REI suspends orders from Vista Outdoor over refusal to take action on guns

Never heard of Vista and haven't been to an REI in 26 years.My last visit to REI was 1992 for some static rescue rope.

You may not have heard of Vista, but I guarantee that you know quite a number of their brands. For the ammo business, they own Federal, American Eagle, Estate, Speer, and CCI. You can check the rest here: Brands - Vista Outdoor

Be interesting to see if dropping the gun manufacturing lines buys them anything. Depends upon how stupid the anti's are about the rest of the firearms business. Whether Savage and/or Stevens can stand on their own, also remains to be seen. What I gather is that Vista bought quite a number of brands which on their own may have been not so viable, but as part of the group were. Given their brands, I can see why they wouldn't want to lose REI as a customer, so I guess we'll see how things work out. I think it was stupid of them to cave, since if REI dropped them, I suspect given their brands, people might have been willing to look elsewhere to find their products.

Not surprisingly there are 28 REI stores in CA. Must be their base that they’re worried about. Surprisingly the next highest total is 13 stores in TX.
Too bad as I always liked REI before this Vista BS

Savage would be a good fit for S&W to buy. Not a lot of product overlap. Close together geographically too.

REI is barely an outdoor store now. They mostly sell streetwear with outdoor image branding to poseurs. The section of the store with equipment is pretty small and it's all cheap crap. Maybe the stores in mountain towns are different.

They are also cutting loose their helmet brands (Bell, etc.) and some other things. It is a little corporate housecleaning to reduce debt. Someone will pick up Savage for a song. Could be good for the brand. As a lefty who loves the brand...Im hopeful.

Of course this never would have happened if ATK didn't spin off Vista. At least as a ConHugeCo ATK made
sense... IMHO "gun companies" should always be their own entities. I think with like even 10% of 100 million people we could get enough people to buy a few shares of stock....

-Mike

IMHO "gun companies" should always be their own entities.
Abso-freakin'-lutely! No good has ever come from a conglomerate or Wall St takeover and never will. The problem is that sometimes these profitable, no debt/low debt, stand-alone firearms companies are perfect takeover targets. How to avoid that? I don't know. [thinking]

maybe it's exactly the way big business and the deep state planned it. Buy up all the "gun stuff" and then slowly stop making it. ATK is a huge global military supplier. They are currently running the LC plant. AT K renewed its contract with .gov this year. ATk has another spin off SCS, which is the devision that produces the 5.56,7.62 and 50 cal. ATK can easily survive with our Vista outdoors completely.
Also consider all the companies freedom group bought up.
Slowly drop them one but one till thier gone.
I will breath a lot easier when a smokeless powder manufacture opens up state side that's not directly tied to big gov.
Once you start poking around to see who owns what it gets scary.

REI? What the hell do they sell except kayaks and other yuppie crap...do they sell firearms or ammo? Vista is a bunch of cowards and this BS.....

I bet it's a function of "will it make us money or not?" I can't imagine that they couldn't appease one retailer enough to keep the companies. Seems they see a liability and are going to cut them loose or spin them off or sell them to someone.

Think about it. Gun sales are down a TON in the last 18 months. TONS. The Obama era of big gun sales is over. Ergo, profits will be a lot lower for firearms/accessories companies.

Who TF cares if Vista owns them or not??? It's a non-story.

In an earlier article on 3/3/18, REI says the gun companies need to solve the gun problem. Does REI mean that the gun companies should make up the gun laws like Herr Healey? Just can't make this sh*t up.

REI suspends orders from Vista Outdoor over refusal to take action on guns

They watched that episode of Law & Order where some misogynistic whack-job modifies a gun and goes full-auto on a nurses convention in the park. McCoy sues the gun manf for not doing something about people who modify the gun. (He wins the jury trial and the judge sets aside the verdict in a big speech about you can't hold them criminally responsible BUT they are terrible terrible people.)

REI probably has that thing on a loop in the lunch room. "We need to make them make 'safe' guns - like made out of foam rubber. And bullets made out of bubbles. Like in Avengers."

Whats an REI?

The next in a long line of stores that will have their asses handed to them by Amazon and other online retailers.

Back
Top Bottom