Visiting Mass with "evil" guns.

Not sure if this has been asked before, and if it has I'll no doubt get flamed by Scrivener. [wink]

I'm thinking of (at some point) getting an AR, or some other "evil looking" rifle. Now, as an NH resident I can pretty much please myself as to what I buy.

However, what are the laws on bringing those types of weapon into Mass as a visitor to go to an event (for example, to go to a NES shoot)? I know you can't bring any hi-cap magazines in, but what about non-compliant guns on the Mass "AWB"?

Nope, sorry. No post-ban "Assault Weapons" allowed in MA, period (Except for LE/Dealer/Miltary). Bringing one in, even for a competition, is a no no.

Also be careful what you bring in if you don't have a MA non-resident LTC. No large capacity weapons allowed at all without that.

Yeah - thanks, I know. I honestly don't know how you guys can live with all the laws in that state. [crying]

(I know, we've visited that question before, so you don't need to give me an answer).

A gun owner doesn't really "live" in MA so much as "get by". [crying]

Preban rifles and magazines at least soothe the pain a little bit.

-Mike

So if I get a pre-ban AR lower, can I put any post-ban upper on it (with added flash-hider, bayo-lug, etc), or must the whole AR be pre-ban with no added "evil features"?

If it's preban, you can put any of the evil features on it. The upper receiver may be in any otherwise legal configuration.

If it's preban, you can put any of the evil features on it. The upper receiver may be in any otherwise legal configuration.

Just so I'm clear, do you mean that an AR upper on a pre-ban lower may be a post-ban upper with other than a Class III configuration? That is, a pre-ban lower can have mounted on it a post-ban upper with flash-hider & bayo-lug but can't be short-barrel or have a silencer - right? And this for a Non-res LTC-A (ALP) holder bringing said rifle into MA/Boston?

The reason I ask, is that all of my rifles can't be brought into MA from NH as they have flash-hiders. Rather than buy another AR upper with no flash-hider, to use in MA on the rare ocassion, I'd consider buying a pre-ban lower I can use with any upper in MA, NH and elsewhere.

MaverickNH, I'm getting confused by your usage of pre-ban and post-ban. For an upper, those terms usually refer to its configuration not its age, but on a lower the terms usually refer to its age not it's configuration.

But, to answer what I think you're asking, if you have a pre-ban lower (one which was part of a complete rifle on Sept 13th, 1994) you can put any upper on it you want, of any age, and in any configuration and legally possess it in MA with a non-res LTC-A (but you are correct, NFA configurations get much more complicated legally).

Last edited:
Buy it in NH. Shoot it in NH. Problem solved.

Organize your own meet over the freedom line.

As far as training classes and Appleseed events, there's more in MA than elsewhere in NE that I can see. I struggle to find the time to shoot at all, but might take your suggestion when retired.

It would be interesting to see a published history of how a state with such an extensive firearms past, and continued firearms present (lots of clubs, meets, training, etc.) ended up near the bottom of the 50 states on firearms rights. One might be tempted to link it to states with big-city populations (NYC, Chicago, etc.) and high 1960s crime rates?

MaverickNH, I'm getting confused by your usage of pre-ban and post-ban. For an upper, those terms usually refer to its configuration not its age, but on a lower the terms usually refer to its age not it's configuration.

But, to answer what I think you're asking, if you have a pre-ban lower (one which was part of a complete rifle on Sept 13th, 1994) you can put any upper on it you want, of any age, and in any configuration and legally possess it in MA with a non-res LTC-A (but you are correct, NFA configurations get much more complicated legally).

I guess it's that "part of a complete rifle before Setp 13 1994" thing that was in the back of my mind. With such a qualified lower, I was concerned you had to have the matching upper. Yes, I know proof of an upper's date of manufacture/assembly is hard or not possible to document but I was worried MA might have somesuch insane requirement.

It looks like pre-ban ARs are down in price since the AWB expired outside MA, so I should be able to swing a purchase if I save my pennies.

I guess it's that "part of a complete rifle before Setp 13 1994" thing that was in the back of my mind. With such a qualified lower, I was concerned you had to have the matching upper. Yes, I know proof of an upper's date of manufacture/assembly is hard or not possible to document but I was worried MA might have somesuch insane requirement.

Yes, MA is insane. Note that the requirement is not "complete rifle BEFORE 9/13/94" but "complete rifle ON 9/13/94". Talk about insane, try to prove THAT either way.

On another board a person was asking about non-resident LTC-A and if he could carry his full capacitiy (over 10 round) magazines with his pistol.

I said no, unless they were preban, he could only carry 10 round mags for it.

Several people disagreed with me. He called down to MA and this was his final post.

"I just spoke with the Mass Firearms Record Bureau and they told me that, with a clas A non-resident permit, I could carry any pistol, regardless of the magazine capacity. "

"I just spoke with the Mass Firearms Record Bureau and they told me that, with a clas A non-resident permit, I could carry any pistol, regardless of the magazine capacity. "

Well, that is a true statement. But it doesn't address the ban status of the magazines in that pistol. I believe you are correct. Possession of a post-ban magazine by non-LEO or FFL is a no-no, period.

On another board a person was asking about non-resident LTC-A and if he could carry his full capacitiy (over 10 round) magazines with his pistol.

I said no, unless they were preban, he could only carry 10 round mags for it.

Several people disagreed with me. He called down to MA and this was his final post.

Apples and oranges.

Can he lawfully carry a handgun with "large capacity" mags in MA with an LTC/A? Yes.

IF.

As in, IF they are "pre-ban." An LTC won't save your butt if you are caught in this Commonwealth with post-ban, large-capacity mags.

Apples and oranges.

Can he lawfully carry a handgun with "large capacity" mags in MA with an LTC/A? Yes.

IF.

As in, IF they are "pre-ban." An LTC won't save your butt if you are caught in this Commonwealth with post-ban, large-capacity mags.

That was pretty much what I told him. Of course he is going to listen to the official from the state who told him otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom