• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Visit the USS CONSTITUTION, give up your rights

But you can just check your weapon and have it returned when you depart, correct?

I don't think so - at not least with firearms. I've seen places that will do an informal weapon checking for things like pocket knives and pepper spray, but don't have the level of security and access control needed to check firearms.

When I attended a hearing at One Ashburton Place, knives were thrown in a box (there were quite a few), and guns checked at the MSP desk in the lobby. Gun carriers got a locker key, but the return of knives was based on the honor system ("take you knife from that box over there....")

It is still a commissioned ship in the navy.

In fact, she's the oldest commissioned warship afloat in the world. The Brits have a ship that's older, but it's in permanent dry dock.

I was aboard her in June. The rest of the tour group looked at me funny when I faced aft, saluted the ensign, and then saluted the OOD and requested permission to come aboard.

I don't think so - at not least with firearms. I've seen places that will do an informal weapon checking for things like pocket knives and pepper spray, but don't have the level of security and access control needed to check firearms.

When I attended a hearing at One Ashburton Place, knives were thrown in a box (there were quite a few), and guns checked at the MSP desk in the lobby. Gun carriers got a locker key, but the return of knives was based on the honor system ("take you knife from that box over there....")

Any knives over 2.5 inches will be discarded in a box as well as any pepper spray or mace (regardless of a LTC or your law enforcement). Firearms will be locked up in a box and returned to you upon your leave permitting that you have a MA LTC. Reason I know this is because I work there. A supervisor argued with me that only Law enforcement may check their firearms. This is not true concerning the Federal Law regarding carry in National Parks, I plan on educating him further regarding the rights of citizens. Heres the link coming straight off the Boston Nation park site regarding firearms and national parks:

http://www.nps.gov/nero/firearms/MA/index.htm

FYI only the ship is owned by the Navy this is why you check your arms in when you enter the security checkpoint.

Heres a link regarding the law that was amended by Pres Obama last year regarding carrying in NP.

http://www.itstactical.com/centcom/news/concealed-carry-in-national-parks-now-effective/

Last edited:

Thank you for the response. So what do they do with the odd armed citizen who tries to tour Old Ironsides? Is he just turned away? Or is it more unpleasant than that?

Providing you have a Mass LTC it should get locked up as I stated above. There seems to be a disagreement among supervisors there and I plan to bring this to their attention.

If you had a gun and a knife, do they let you put both in the locker?

-Mike

OK then why involve the National Park Police?

Because they don't have their own MAs or DOD Police and the cost of having some stationed there would be more than arranging with the Park Police to assist.

The Constitution is a United States Navy warship. Live with it.

It is a commissioned ship of the US Navy so you'll have to abide by Navy rules.

A friend of mine had his knife taken away from him a few weeks ago.
Blades of less than two inches may be declared to security and will be returned if deemed safe

Safe by whose standards? Or some opinionated idiot with a superman patch on his chest?

Because they don't have their own MAs or DOD Police and the cost of having some stationed there would be more than arranging with the Park Police to assist.

The Constitution is a United States Navy warship. Live with it.

Look pal, I was just curious as to why something referred to as a National Park would not allow carry as is now the law of the land. I understood the part about the Constitution being a commissioned ship and therefore prohibited carry, but not why the pier did not permit licensed carry as a part of a National Park. If that bunches your shorts, live with it.

The US Navy owns the ship, the pier and the adjacent museum building are leased by the Navy from the NPS. The park service owns the rest of the Navy yard. I was involved in building the museum, renovating the Commandants house and 4-5 other buildings there.

Not to hijack the thread but on the same note I went to the National Cemetery in Bourne to visit my Fathers grave and noticed a sign saying 'No Firearms". It was the first time I noticed the sign. It may have been up for awhile but it seemed to stick out today.

USS Constitution looks like she is about to get underway. Tugs and security boats are swarming around her. If anyone's in the harbor area, keep your eyes peeled. Even under tow, she's a sight.

Back
Top Bottom