• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vision issues

I so need a prescription and would like to try contacts ASAP but all the local places I’ve called I like a month out
Go see idoktr. He has three locations, so one of them should work for you. Most of the time I can get an appointment in two weeks (for the day he's closest to where I am). Side bonus is you get to talk about GUNZ without someone running away screaming (or getting SWAT called on you). [rofl2]

These are what I use with a 1.0 correction.

I use these on my shooting glasses. They work great.

Awesome options! Thanks. Trying to wear safety glasses over readers is a PITA.

Awesome options! Thanks. Trying to wear safety glasses over readers is a PITA.
Get some shooting glasses with Rx you need for what you are doing

Theres these also , same concept as eye pal. Depends on what your doing.
I shoot 4 position rifle and most glasses suck for that.
I have Randolph Rangers and Decot HyWyd with plane lenses for trap and a Rx for the aiming eye to see the front sight better. I also added wider front sights where I could.
I have the .100” in the 1903a3, .072” in the match AR
Aperture target sights on others

Last edited:
I’m seeing floaters now in my eyes. Left eye has a blurry floater in the middle of my vision. I think I’m screwed. Cataracts?
Probably not, but only an eye doc can tell you for sure. I just had my cataracts removed and it’s made a tremendous difference. Since cataracts get worse slowly over time you don’t realize how bad your vision is until you get them fixed. Now-a-days you can even get multi focal lenses to replace your natural lens (which is what they remove when you get cataract surgery). These focus simultainiously both near and far and your brain automatically picks the best image. I’m so near sighted that I had to go with the mono-focal lenses, so I still need cheaters to read, but the from sight on a Garand is far enough away that I can see it clearly enough with out any glasses. These new IOLs (Inter Ocular Lens, the technical name for what they replace you clouded up natural lens with) are remarkable. Most people will be able to get away with no glasses at all.

So I have reached that wonderful point in life where the front sight is a friggin blur,
Try shooting with a lazy eye...

On the more serious/helpful note: have you considered changing sights? I find that some sights for me are difficult to focus on and some are easy. Trijicon XR sights are away easier to see than anything else I've tried so far.

there used to be a small eyepiece you could glue onto your shooting glasses. It would restrict your eye view like a peep sight would, and suddenly you can see both near and far again.

It is a similar effect (narrowing your depth of field) to shooting a camera with the lens set to F22--because the aperture is so small, you have both near and far things in focus.

you could probably try it at home to see if it would work, get some black paper, poke a tiny hole in it, and hold it over your eye as you try to sight in a distant target with your handgun. with the "peep sight" in place, can you see fine?

here you go:

Amazon product ASIN B01D1AJZ56View: https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-3112000-Eyepal-Rifle-Kit/dp/B01D1AJZ56

Last edited:
So I have reached that wonderful point in life where the front sight is a friggin blur, I can see the target just fine but my sight picture is shit. If I put my readers on I can see the front sight but then the target is a blur. Got an eye doc appt in March but was wondering what others have done because this really sucks!

Walt

You're not alone. The ability for our eyes to provide depth of field to see near (target) and far (target) simultaneously can be a challenge for persons as they age, myself included.

Funny enough this ad appeared last night. Coincidence? LOL

SeeAll Sights

Probably not, but only an eye doc can tell you for sure. I just had my cataracts removed and it’s made a tremendous difference. Since cataracts get worse slowly over time you don’t realize how bad your vision is until you get them fixed. Now-a-days you can even get multi focal lenses to replace your natural lens (which is what they remove when you get cataract surgery). These focus simultainiously both near and far and your brain automatically picks the best image. I’m so near sighted that I had to go with the mono-focal lenses, so I still need cheaters to read, but the from sight on a Garand is far enough away that I can see it clearly enough with out any glasses. These new IOLs (Inter Ocular Lens, the technical name for what they replace you clouded up natural lens with) are remarkable. Most people will be able to get away with no glasses at all.
My wife just had hers done and she couldn't believe the difference. I went to have mine checked and the doctor said that I'm still about 10 yrs away from needing cataract surgery.

This thread has lots of good advice, which is nice, but does make me wonder if I am still on NES.

Like lots of people here, I have been dealing with vision issues for quite a while, and I want to talk a bit about "just focus on the blurry sights."

There are actually a number of different ways to see the sights which can work for different types of shooting. The rule to focus on the front sight is necessary for precise target shooting, and is good advice in most situations. But if you can't see the front sight very well, there are other methods.

For close, quick, and coarse work, I focus on the target. Then I bring the gun to position, get a quick blurry view of the sights, and pull the trigger. The overall position and style is similar to two handed point shooting, but with a little bit of sights. This is a method that is taught by some instructors for combat style shooting. So this is similar to just using the blurry sights, but it is more structured.

Note that this method is not for precision work. I can get hits on a 6" circle at 10 yards, or a paper plate a 15 yards, but not much better. But these days, that is about as good as I can do with iron sights anyways. If I think I need real precision, then I use a red dot, and I can get target shooting accuracy if I take my time.

Go see idoktr. He has three locations, so one of them should work for you. Most of the time I can get an appointment in two weeks (for the day he's closest to where I am). Side bonus is you get to talk about GUNZ without someone running away screaming (or getting SWAT called on you). [rofl2]
He set me up with bi-focal contacts -- typical presbyopia so magnification for close-up and no magnification at all for distance. As a side benefit, I can even bring along the slide to check the effectiveness of the contacts with the sights.

He set me up with bi-focal contacts -- typical presbyopia so magnification for close-up and no magnification at all for distance. As a side benefit, I can even bring along the slide to check the effectiveness of the contacts with the sights.
You underestimate i-doc. He would probably have preferred you brought the entire gun.

So I have reached that wonderful point in life where the front sight is a friggin blur, I can see the target just fine but my sight picture is shit. If I put my readers on I can see the front sight but then the target is a blur. Got an eye doc appt in March but was wondering what others have done because this really sucks!

Walt
Exact same issue ...... Went and got an eye exam , paid for a decent pair of glasses , lost them shortly after spending hundreds on the glasses. I say f*** it , I just use my dollar store readers so I can see my front sight , that's the most important part.

multi-focal contacts for me..

I started wearing glasses at about 24 yrs old in 1992. Went to contacts in about 1994. Distance only... At about 46 or so yrs old, noticed that my close up vision was struggling. I work all day on a computer and started using reading cheaters with my contact lenses so I could read. Major PITA.

Talked to an optometrist and tried multi-focals.. best thing ever. No more readers.. good for about 95% of daily activities.. every so often I need to pull out the phone to enlarge something or use my magnifying eye-pro to get a better look, but it's rare. had them about 5 or 6 yrs now at least.

Definitely worth trying if you fit the description.

Back
Top Bottom