Virtual Firearms instruction in MA, just got and email from MSP

rep308

NES Member
I am a licensed Firearm Instructor in MA and just received this email:

BFS virtual training has been approved. If you wish to instruct virtually you will need to send an email to me requesting to be approved to provide virtual BFS training. In your email you must include your name, address, contact number, email address, your BFS Certification number and the course you wish to instruct.

Once we receive your email we will review your request and if approved we will send you additional information on what steps you will need to take, especially at the beginning of every class you instruct.

At no time should you be instructing virtually without approval from Colonel Mason or his designee.

Please be advised that the Colonel's authorization for the online Basic Firearm Safety Program expires when the state of emergency in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has been lifted.

Be safe and stay healthy,

Kristin M. Ryan
Firearms Licensing
Massachusetts State Police
470 Worcester Road
Framingham, MA 01702
508-820-2299
[email protected]

I have been teaching NRA basic pistol for certification. How does one teach NRA basic pistol virtually, doesn't it require a live fire segment?

Any information would be appreciated

The NRA doesn't seem to think so, since they offer it as an online course.
NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting
The NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting course is the best way for you to learn the basics of pistol shooting from the top firearms training organization in the world! The course is the first steps for you to obtain the proper certification for your concealed carry permit in some states. Be sure to contact your county, city or state to find out whether this course fulfills the requirement.
This easy-to-understand online training program allows you to go at your own pace and learn from the comfort of your own home. Simply go through the online course material, successfully complete the online exam, and you’ll receive your certificate of completion instantly.
Qualify for your concealed carry permit the right way with the NRA!
Click here to register today!
Already Registered? Click here to log back into the course.

BFS virtual training has been approved. If you wish to instruct virtually you will need to send an email to me requesting to be approved to provide virtual BFS training. In your email you must include your name, address, contact number, email address, your BFS Certification number and the course you wish to instruct.

Once we receive your email we will review your request and if approved we will send you additional information on what steps you will need to take, especially at the beginning of every class you instruct.

At no time should you be instructing virtually without approval from Colonel Mason or his designee.

Please be advised that the Colonel's authorization for the online Basic Firearm Safety Program expires when the state of emergency in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts has been lifted.

Kristin M. Ryan
Firearms Licensing
470 Worcester Road
Framingham, MA 01702
508-820-2299
[email protected]

I have been teaching NRA basic pistol for certification. How does one teach NRA basic pistol virtually, doesn't it require a live fire segment?

There was a clarification email from GOAL the other day.
GOAL on Apr 24 said:
Updated Information on MSP BFS Courses and receiving approval for “Virtual Training”

GOAL reached out to the Colonel of the Massachusetts State Police for clarification regarding BFS approved courses and instructors. The Administrator provided guidance for the 4 questions below. Further inquiries should be made with the MSP.

Question #1. MSP BFS Instructors that reside in a state where ranges, both commercial and nonprofit are considered essential and have remained open, are they also prohibited from conducting BFS approved courses? For those instructors that live outside the Commonwealth and their ranges are considered essential and open – yes they can still teach as long as they are practicing social distancing. This only effects the instructors here in Massachusetts, teach in Massachusetts or if their state has closed ranges, etc.

Question #2. MSP BFS Instructors that reside in Massachusetts but have access to ranges outside of the Commonwealth, are they prohibited from conducting BFS approved courses? If they are instructing in a state that the ranges are open, they can instruct. They can’t teach in Massachusetts unless they are administering an approved “virtual training” course and then go to another state to shoot. Again practicing social distancing.

Question #3. MSP BFS Instructors that reside in Massachusetts and wish to conduct BFS approved courses that do not require live fire, for members of the their same household, are they prohibited from conducting BFS approved courses? Yes they can, however, they must show proof that they live in the same household.

Question #4. Will MSP provide approval to conduct LTC-007 or LTC-002 through virtual leaning? The MSP may provide approval for LTC-002, but the certificate may not be issued until live fire is complete. NRA does not allow for virtual learning for Home Firearm Safety and Basic Pistol requires live fire. Please note that the NRA has created a MOU regarding Basic Pistol for distance learning. NRA Instructors should reach out to their Training Counselors for more information.

In short: HFS is not and has never been certified by the NRA to be taught virtually, so it's out; while there's the Blended version of BFS, it still requires live handling of firearms and a mandatory live-fire portion, so it's out too.

It seems that the only way you can teach remotely is if you have a program that's been certified by the state and allows instructors to work virtually. For example, my understanding is that MFS teaches their own program that the SP have certified. They're allowed to allow themselves to teach the class remotely. If the NRA were to change their policy, we could probably teach their programs remotely as well.

Kristin M. Ryan
Firearms Licensing
470 Worcester Road
Framingham, MA 01702
508-820-2299
[email protected]

"At no time should you be instructing virtually without approval from Colonel Mason or his designee."

Are you guys also required to tenderly caress Colonol Mason's balls too?

It seems that the only way you can teach remotely is if you have a program that's been certified by the state and allows instructors to work virtually. For example, my understanding is that MFS teaches their own program that the SP have certified. They're allowed to allow themselves to teach the class remotely. If the NRA were to change their policy, we could probably teach their programs remotely as well.
Or some ambitious person could create the NES Firearms Safety course, provide for remote instruction, and apply to have it certified.

Or some ambitious person could create the NES Firearms Safety course, provide for remote instruction, and apply to have it certified.
I've heard rumor that MSP (during the Blended Learning debacle) was not accepting new courses for certification. I wonder if that's still true; if not, how slowly will that wheel grind when pressed?

This would be the same as the State Police telling a You Tube content maker (as their sole income generator) that they need police approval to continue to make videos (work).

RC

How about for hunting licenses? Can that be done online
Yes.

Example: Online Hunter Education temporarily waives field day, allowing certification to continue uninterrupted

Some states don't require a field day. Upon completion, your cert is acceptable towards a hunting license in every state in the union. Looks like that's changed.
The next question is, would it meet the requirements for an FID? I won't even venture to guess.

(N.B. The above is not an endorsement, nor am I affiliated; it just happens to be the site I used when I took the course during a bout of insomnia.)

Last edited:
Yes.

Example: Online Hunter Education temporarily waives field day, allowing certification to continue uninterrupted

Some states don't require a field day. Upon completion, your cert is acceptable towards a hunting license in every state in the union. Looks like that's changed.
The next question is, would it meet the requirements for an FID? I won't even venture to guess.

(N.B. The above is not an endorsement, nor am I affiliated; it just happens to be the site I used when I took the course during a bout of insomnia.)

Sweet. I steady have my LTC I was just informed I need the hunting course before I get my lHunting license

Kristin M. Ryan
Firearms Licensing
470 Worcester Road
Framingham, MA 01702
508-820-2299
[email protected]

Teach the LTC-007 vs LTC-002

Edit: My approval was within one day. If you do teach LTC-002 you will have to live fire certify them when restrictions are lifted.

See post #19

Last edited:
guyute, fwiw I took the hunter ed course through the state of Texas online. it is all the same curriculum from state to state, but Texas doesn't have the field requirement for those over 17. trying to do one in MA was too much of a pain in the ass. two days of 6ish hours on a weekend usually. that time is already too short and precious I just didn't have time to do it here. I was able to chip away at if little by little when I had the time, and received my certification just the same.

Someone needs to get an open source safety course certified somehow, or perhaps GOAL version etc. Something to get NRA out of the loop.

So, I heard back from my training councilor. Even if you teach LTC-007, there are still hands on requirements (even though it is not live fire) so my advice above is moot. Will update that post.

@Mesatchornug How did Pink Pistols get certified in MA to teach?
Since PP doesn't exist, from a legal perspective, we each seek certification individually. Personally, I'm an NRA instructor (BP and HFS, working on PPITH & PPOTH) others are in similar situations. I'd love to develop something that's not tied to anyone else, but that's probably not happening this weekend...

Kristin M. Ryan
Firearms Licensing
470 Worcester Road
Framingham, MA 01702
508-820-2299
[email protected]

Can someone quote me the law or regulation where this is a thing?

Before LT Al Zani from MSP retired, he was working on a regulatory change to create one approved curriculum, similar to what Utah and many states have. Unfortunately, it didn't go far. As for the MSP approving LTC-002, yes, they will approve for virtual learning but the certificate cannot be issued until live fire is complete. NRA put forth a temporary MOU on the subject.

The NRA doesn't seem to think so, since they offer it as an online course.
You have to read the NRA MOU for distance learning. It's on the 1st slide (invisible to the student): You need 2 way video/audio with the student, must do the gun handling on a range or "suitable training facility", etc. Not at all practical during the quarantine.

I've heard rumor that MSP (during the Blended Learning debacle) was not accepting new courses for certification. I wonder if that's still true; if not, how slowly will that wheel grind when pressed?
Lt. Zani had a pile of new proposed courses on his desk for a number of years now and didn't approve any of them. I doubt that has changed nor is it likely to change any time soon.

Before LT Al Zani from MSP retired, he was working on a regulatory change to create one approved curriculum, similar to what Utah and many states have. Unfortunately, it didn't go far. As for the MSP approving LTC-002, yes, they will approve for virtual learning but the certificate cannot be issued until live fire is complete. NRA put forth a temporary MOU on the subject.
As Jon says, the key to this is in the NRA Instructor's MOU. Not practical to do in MA.

I received notice from MSP explaining they will not approve me teaching the NRA HFS course LTC 007 because the NRA has not approved the course for distant learning. Should I have told the MSP that i will do the LTC 002 NRA program? What course is even approved for LTC distant training approval? This seems to be a no starter you can do distant LTC course training except there are no approved LTC courses approved for distant learning.

Tactical dynamics is doing online basic gun safety courses that give the LTC-017 certificate. Not sure if that is what your all talking about.

My son is currently taking his driver's Ed courses online, so yeah lol
Georgia just waved the license exam so as long as the parents sign an affidavit stating the kid has at least 40 hours behind the wheel and no infractions for a year, they will be issued a provisional license.

Thank you Len for the information on the LTC 017 course. This is what I thought.
On another note
This post has nothing to do with driver's licenses in this state or any other if you want to discuss driver's licenses start another post
Thank you

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom