• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vihta Vuori sources?

amb

NES Member
Anyone know where to get VV powders around eastern Mass.? It sounds like a lot of people love them to death, but I've never seen them on the shelf anywhere.

I do know where to get it mail-order (all the usual suspects carry it, and if I wanted a bunch it barely costs more than buying Reloader 15 locally), but sucking up that hazmat fee when I just want a pound to see what all the fuss is about is a bit much.

Thanks for any clues!

Last edited:
Are you still looking for sources on this? I've been looking around and I have one last place that I'm waiting on. If they say no then I might be interested in taking the hazmat hit for an order.

Do you use RE15 now? Why would you want to switch?

That, actually, is exactly the question I was looking to answer; I'm pretty happy with RE15, but some people say that N140 is both more consistent and cleaner-burning. Might just be people trying to justify the extra 20% to themselves, though. Also note that I'm shooting service rifle, not benchrest. If my groups magically get smaller I might stick with it. If nothing else, it's an excuse to head to the range this winter.

Most mail-order places were out of stock for a while, too, but it seems to be generally on the market again, so Riley's might come through. You could also give State Line Gun Shop in Mason a call, since someone recommended them as a VV dealer.

Snapshot: thanks for the offer, but too late for me; I got a can mail-order with some other stuff. (Via a friend in NH.)

That, actually, is exactly the question I was looking to answer; I'm pretty happy with RE15, but some people say that N140 is both more consistent and cleaner-burning. Might just be people trying to justify the extra 20% to themselves, though. Also note that I'm shooting service rifle, not benchrest. If my groups magically get smaller I might stick with it. If nothing else, it's an excuse to head to the range this winter.

How are your 600yd scores? If you are shooting well with your RE15 loads, I wouldn't change a thing.
There are a lot of powders that work well in the .223 with heavy bullets. I'd say most are either using RE15, Varget, or 4895.
I'm not a big experimenter. Anything that shoots under an inch is good enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom