• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vietnam

ridleyman

NES Member
Going there for a visit to both see a bit of the country and learn a bit of the language at the Saigon Language school. I'll check out the Reunification Palace, Notre Dame, old post office, Mekong Delta, Chinatown, Japantown, military relics, and maybe a few museums and several bars. Any advice/ suggestions? I know we've been at peace and trade with VN for quite a while, and I also know that many guys left their bodies and souls there. Thanks!

How long are u gona staythere? Short term tour then sign up for one of the tourist package with them tour companies.long term staying then get yourself a vietnamese girlfriend when u get there,then you guys do things together,may be teach the local kids english ,they love it,just watch out for them gold diggers, lol. If you are a young guy who willing to rough it out then just pick out the area that you want to visit then live in a cheap hotell in that area, that be your base camp for ya to check out the area,when you are done visiting that area then just move on the next one .vietnam, my home country is getting expensive, thailand is better.and the roads over there in vietnamsuck, you will get run over by kids on scooter. Ya need any more informations let me know, am visitting manhattan ny right now, there are nude ladies at time square lol.

Last edited:
Geez Rob, I didn't think any knowledgeable person thought we were defeated in Vietnam. I was part of the Third Marine Division, in the northern most part of South Vietnam, when .gov pulled us out of Vietnam, so I know a bit about that time and place in history. The Vietnam conflict (we never declared war), was not popular with the American voter. Every American mother wanted their sons and daughters to be returned home. Presidents like to cater to voters and to be popular. To that end, the U. S. completed removal of the last of our troops from Vietnam in 1975. I'll tell you two things about that first hand. First, the troops didn't want to leave Vietnam without final and complete victory. Part way through my first tour of duty, I signed up for a second, back to back tour of duty in Vietnam. I still have a copy of the paperwork that I signed, to substantiate what I've just said. I wanted to be there. While I was there we won every battle, skirmish and fire fight that we were in. Every one of them, so it's very hard to sell the we lost concept to me, or the rest of Third Marine Division that was there. Last, Ho Chi Minh blew his load on the 1968 TET offensive. He sent 60,000, well trained, well outfitted and well armed NVA troops down the Ho Chi Minh Trail to destroy South Vietnam. The first line of defense, for South Vietnam, at that time, was the Third Marine Division, that was deployed along and around the DMZ. The Third Marine Division killed approximately half of Ho Chi Minh's 60,000 TET troops right there on and around the DMZ. That's a kill ratio of 10 to 1, for you NES numbers crunchers. It was later written that the initial battles took such a toll on the NVA, that ultimately, the TET offensive was a failure, for North Vietnam. The NVA never regained its former effectiveness, and for the most part, the conflict was over for them, long term. This is what was later written, by the North Vietnamese General in charge of Ho Cho Minh's TET Offensive.Then by popular demand, the POTUS ordered the removal of all U.S. troops from South Vietnam. Summary, never tell a member of the Third Marine Division, that was there, and lived through it and saw first hand what took place, that we were defeated, because that's pure bullshit.

Last edited:
Geez Rob, I didn't think any knowledgeable person thought we were defeated in Vietnam. I was part of Third Marine Division, in the northern most part of South Vietnam, when .gov pulled us out of Vietnam, so I know a bit about that time and place in history. The Vietnam conflict (we never declared war), was not popular with the American voter. Every American mother wanted their sons and daughters to be returned home. Presidents like to cater to voters and to be popular. To that end, the U. S. completed removal of the last of our troops from Vietnam in 1975. I'll tell you two things about that first hand. First, the troops didn't want to leave Vietnam without final and complete victory. Part way through my first tour of duty, I signed up for a second, back to back tour of duty in Vietnam. I still have my copy of the paperwork that I signed, to substantiate what I've just said. I wanted to be there. While I was there we won every battle, skirmish and fire fight that we were in. Every one of them, so it's very hard to sell the we lost concept to me, or the rest of Third Marine Division that was there. Last, Ho Chi Minh blew his load on the 1968 TET offensive. He sent 60,000, well trained, well outfitted and well armed NVA troops down the Ho Chi Minh Trail to destroy South Vietnam. The first line of defense, for South Vietnam, at that time, was the Third Marine Division, that was deployed along and around the DMZ. The Third Marine Division killed approximately half of Ho Chi Minh's troops right there on and around the DMZ. It was later written that the initial battles took such a toll on the NVA, that ultimately, the TET offensive was a failure, for North Vietnam. The NVA never regained its former effectiveness, and for the most part, the conflict was over for them, long term. Then by popular demand, the POTUS ordered the removal of all U.S. troops from South Vietnam. Summary, never tell a member of the Third Marine Division, that was there, and lived through it and saw first hand what took place, that we were defeated, because that's pure bullshit.
We didn’t lose in Vietnam, the Democrats lost it for us on purpose after Nixon left office and they got a hold of Congress. They said f*** that Paris agreement and the Little Commie bastards overran the south. If it wasn’t for that War and the men who fought in it I wouldn’t be the man and Marine Corps Veteran I am today!

Geez Rob, I didn't think any knowledgeable person thought we were defeated in Vietnam. I was part of Third Marine Division, in the northern most part of South Vietnam, when .gov pulled us out of Vietnam, so I know a bit about that time and place in history. The Vietnam conflict (we never declared war), was not popular with the American voter. Every American mother wanted their sons and daughters to be returned home. Presidents like to cater to voters and to be popular. To that end, the U. S. completed removal of the last of our troops from Vietnam in 1975. I'll tell you two things about that first hand. First, the troops didn't want to leave Vietnam without final and complete victory. Part way through my first tour of duty, I signed up for a second, back to back tour of duty in Vietnam. I still have my copy of the paperwork that I signed, to substantiate what I've just said. I wanted to be there. While I was there we won every battle, skirmish and fire fight that we were in. Every one of them, so it's very hard to sell the we lost concept to me, or the rest of Third Marine Division that was there. Last, Ho Chi Minh blew his load on the 1968 TET offensive. He sent 60,000, well trained, well outfitted and well armed NVA troops down the Ho Chi Minh Trail to destroy South Vietnam. The first line of defense, for South Vietnam, at that time, was the Third Marine Division, that was deployed along and around the DMZ. The Third Marine Division killed approximately half of Ho Chi Minh's troops right there on and around the DMZ. It was later written that the initial battles took such a toll on the NVA, that ultimately, the TET offensive was a failure, for North Vietnam. The NVA never regained its former effectiveness, and for the most part, the conflict was over for them, long term. Then by popular demand, the POTUS ordered the removal of all U.S. troops from South Vietnam. Summary, never tell a member of the Third Marine Division, that was there, and lived through it and saw first hand what took place, that we were defeated, because that's pure bullshit.

[cheers]

Amen!

Ever hitch a ride with MAG-36, HMM-364 Purple Foxes in particular? My dad flew 3 tours there with the Marines and left to become an airline pilot in '67. Probably better that you didn't need a ride from them...

Believe it or not, my Dad actually thought it was a beautiful country- at least what wasn't torn to sh!t or a city slum. That said, if he were alive today I'm not sure he'd want to go back- probably not.

OP, enjoy and please report back to the forum. Honestly, I work in China regularly but given the current geopolitical situation I'd be more comfortable in VN.

You can try to head to the Cu Chi Tunnels. Most of the hotels in District 1 can arrange a tour. About $100. Can also head to Da Lat, beautiful city.

One bar you should plan to have at least only one drink at is Apocalypse Now. You can also head over to Phatty's - it's an ex-pat bar. Lots of Aussie's, Canadians and Americans. Ok music and depending on the season, have large screen TV's with soccer, cricket or rugby playing.

US ATM cards work in almost all the cash machines in VN at official rates. If you have large denomination US notes ($100 bills) you can go to local currency exchanges and get better than official rates. Have to ask around.

Good luck with your language study - Mandarin with four tones is tough, Vietnamese with six tones is nearly impossible.

I highly recommend this book.
"

Rate this book
1 of 5 stars2 of 5 stars3 of 5 stars4 of 5 stars5 of 5 stars
Open Preview
A Better War: The Unexamined Victories and Final Tragedy of America's Last Years in Vietnam

by
Lewis Sorley
4.02 · Rating details · 384 ratings · 41 reviews
Neglected by scholars and journalists alike, the years of conflict in Vietnam from 1968 to 1975 offer surprises not only about how the war was fought, but about what was achieved. Drawing from thousands of hours of previously unavailable (and still classified) tape-recorded meetings between the highest levels of the American military command in Vietnam, A Better War is an insightful, factual, and superbly documented history of these final years. Through his exclusive access to authoritative materials, award-winning historian Lewis Sorley highlights the dramatic differences in conception, conduct, and-at least for a time-results between the early and later years of the war. Among his most important findings is that while the war was being lost at the peace table and in the U.S. Congress, the soldiers were winning on the ground. Meticulously researched and movingly told, A Better War sheds new light on the Vietnam War. (less)

You can try to head to the Cu Chi Tunnels. Most of the hotels in District 1 can arrange a tour. About $100. Can also head to Da Lat, beautiful city.

One bar you should plan to have at least only one drink at is Apocalypse Now. You can also head over to Phatty's - it's an ex-pat bar. Lots of Aussie's, Canadians and Americans. Ok music and depending on the season, have large screen TV's with soccer, cricket or rugby playing.

US ATM cards work in almost all the cash machines in VN at official rates. If you have large denomination US notes ($100 bills) you can go to local currency exchanges and get better than official rates. Have to ask around.

Good luck with your language study - Mandarin with four tones is tough, Vietnamese with six tones is nearly impossible.

True, but at least they use Roman letters. I speak a bit of Mandarin, but I'll never be able to read or write it.

And thanks to all for your input!

[cheers]

Amen!

Ever hitch a ride with MAG-36, HMM-364 Purple Foxes in particular? My dad flew 3 tours there with the Marines and left to become an airline pilot in '67. Probably better that you didn't need a ride from them...

Believe it or not, my Dad actually thought it was a beautiful country- at least what wasn't torn to sh!t or a city slum. That said, if he were alive today I'm not sure he'd want to go back- probably not.

OP, enjoy and please report back to the forum. Honestly, I work in China regularly but given the current geopolitical situation I'd be more comfortable in VN.

Sure did. Choppers were the preferred way of quick transport. I just wish they got a little closer to the ground when visiting a hot LZ.

How long are u gona staythere? Short term tour then sign up for one of the tourist package with them tour companies.long term staying then get yourself a vietnamese girlfriend when u get there,then you guys do things together lol.

I'll be there for a bit over 3 weeks, and I like the girlfriend suggestion. However, I'm not sure that my wife will go for the idea.

I have never been to Vietnam but have seen some amazing photos online from people who have. Some real majestical nature shots. be safe over there

You mean a Datsun! My dad used to tell me to go cut the lawn 'cause
"There were Japs in there that didn't know the war was over..."

Datsun was owned by Nissan.
They were afraid the US would not
like their cars and didn’t want to tarnish
there good name around the world. So they
marketed their cars under a different name. Datsun.

Just keep an eye out at any kid that approaches you on the street. They can snatch and grab in the blink of an eye.

And stay away from any pet monkeys, they train them to steal just like the kids.

I envy you, I always wanted to go back...….I loved the country and the people.

Skysoldier
1967-1968 101st Airborne Div.
1970-1971 173rd Airborne Bde.

Strike up a conversation with your pedicab driver.

For a small bribe of American cigarettes, I hear they know places where you can shoot a water buffalo with an RPG.

Sure did. Choppers were the preferred way of quick transport. I just wish they got a little closer to the ground when visiting a hot LZ.

( after a nights sleep I removed the painting...lol rat187 )

Grunts minds eye view of DZ....[laugh] Yes that's Nui Ba Dinh ( the Black Virgin Mountain )

Last edited:
True, but at least they use Roman letters. I speak a bit of Mandarin, but I'll never be able to read or write it.

And thanks to all for your input!
I saw an ad on TV for a hand held gadget or maybe it was a smart phone with an app. In the commercial someone spoke English into it and it translated it to some Asian Language.

Some squadrons gave a shit and would extract from a hot LZ...

patch-65-66.gif

Something for another thread, but a vet I was pretty tight with at work told me a story about this squadron, not knowing my connection.

Back
Top Bottom