• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Video - UPS Hijacking, shootout with police in Florida

Jesus that’s a lot of rounds flying for two guys in a box truck, with a hostage inside to boot, and literally surrounded by other drivers stuck inside their vehicles right in the mix. What a cluster f***.

This again shows a complete lack of training and trigger discipline. I don’t like Monday morning QB’ing, I understand full well how f***ed up situations like this can get, but Christ someone in charge should be taking charge and telling all these cops over the air to not fire. Control it immediately, take cover, clear people out first and foremost, find out who has a good shot if any, clear the backdrop of any other drivers, and take a controlled accurate shot it needed only when the situation has been controlled.

Dozen cops out there emptying mags in every direction in a f***ing circle. Embarrassing and with obvious deadly results for two innocent people.

Panic, lack of training, lack of experience, zero trigger discipline and leadership caused this mess.

Very sad for those who were killed for nothing but those reasons above.

It's completely mystifying to me why cops didn't just hang back and wait this out, even if they slowly chased the thing for an hour it probably would have ended up stopping in a place that was much less dangerous than an on-road engagement.

Shit, even if they just let them get away with it, it's not as if they wouldn't have been caught, I'd be very surprised if every UPS truck wasn't wired for sound with cameras and GPS tracking
equipment, etc.

Some gut reactions are probably like "DEY TOOK THE GUY HOSTAGE!!!! DOE!" well getting into a huge gunfight with the hostage in the crossfire doesn't help the hostage much. Whereas at least if they just ignored them, the Hostage probably had a 50% chance or better of survival, but inducing that clusterf*** brought his odds of survival much closer to zero....

-Mike

It's completely mystifying to me why cops didn't just hang back and wait this out, even if they slowly chased the thing for an hour it probably would have ended up stopping in a place that was much less dangerous than an on-road engagement.

Shit, even if they just let them get away with it, it's not as if they wouldn't have been caught, I'd be very surprised if every UPS truck wasn't wired for sound with cameras and GPS tracking
equipment, etc.

Some gut reactions are probably like "DEY TOOK THE GUY HOSTAGE!!!! DOE!" well getting into a huge gunfight with the hostage in the crossfire doesn't help the hostage much. Whereas at least if they just ignored them, the Hostage probably had a 50% chance or better of survival, but inducing that clusterf*** brought his odds of survival much closer to zero....

-Mike

because one person is never as dumb as several dumb people ... also nothing stopping them to shoot gunz, it's not like they will be held accountable.

Stepfather rightly mad at the cowards. The police directors response?

“Their perceptions are because they have lost loved ones, so you can’t argue with the way they view things. They’re speaking with pure emotion”.

Abdication.

equipment, etc.

-Mike

Couldn’t agree more Michael. Only thing I can think is that because of the lack of training and/or actual experience, the adrenaline just took over. Like a dog when you throw a stick. They just couldn’t control their own adrenaline and therefore couldn’t/didn’t stop to think about what was about to go down and how hugely stupid the surroundings were for a circular gunfight.

If as you said they just let them go on their way to an area out in the sticks, or run out of gas and start negotiating it’s a good bet nobody would’ve been killed. Goddamn shame.

Wouldn't put a lot of stock in "anonymous sources" but interesting if true:
1575656009526.png

Someone also commented they doubt police would've opened up like that if the hostage was a LEO.

Wouldn't put a lot of stock in "anonymous sources" but interesting if true:
View attachment 316650

Someone also commented they doubt police would've opened up like that if the hostage was a LEO.

Be interesting to follow if true. Is it possible that a supervisor out there was actually reading the situation clearly and ordered all to stand down so something like this didn’t happen. And if so who ignored those orders and opened up like the ok corral anyway.

I hope that there is some clear and actionable discovery here to hang a few bodies from a street lamp.

Couldn’t agree more Michael. Only thing I can think is that because of the lack of training and/or actual experience, the adrenaline just took over. Like a dog when you throw a stick. They just couldn’t control their own adrenaline and therefore couldn’t/didn’t stop to think about what was about to go down and how hugely stupid the surroundings were for a circular gunfight.

If as you said they just let them go on their way to an area out in the sticks, or run out of gas and start negotiating it’s a good bet nobody would’ve been killed. Goddamn shame.

It reminds me a little bit of the thing in LA with Dorner where they just saw a vehicle that "looked like" the one Dorner was using and then they opened fire on the damned thing... and they did that like TWICE on two different vehicles. In one case it was a taco with two women in it, who by some miracle were not killed!

-Mike

Absolutely zero reason to fire on that vehicle. Blockade, spike strips so many better ways. The paniced perp could have been followed forever until some sense came over. Just don't get the police behavior, they escalated this into a massacre

Very hard to watch the second video in the OP. The right side of the truck was riddled with bullet holes in a 2-3 second period. Some shots went through the roof. Was any target identification done or is pray-n-spray the standard protocol? #qualifiedimmunity

This shit is just beyond ridiculous! Broward county strikes again! For some reason people seem to think that if you give florida man a gun and badge he will stop being florida man. He won't you just end up with dozens of florida men with guns and badges. Please, give me 24 hrs to get my eldest son out of that state, his mother can stay, then nuke the entire state from orbit for the good of the country.

I’m guess in we will hear that the UPS driver was struck by the robbers gunshots soon... :-(

I don't know why the f*** he was still there. Just from the little bit of the chase in OP's vids he had plenty of opportunities to jump the f*** out. Like when the truck practically came to a stop in that u-turn. The reports say he had a 1 yr old at home. ALL I would be thinking about was my 17 month old growing up without me. I don't care if he was doing 50, I'de be the f*** out!! Well me being me I would have pulled my CC and shot him in the face long ago, but in his situation... tuck and roll and hope for the best. I truly hope they sue the dept out of existence and his kid never wants for anything, other than the father BCPD took away.

Yet there are still people in this country who believe that cops are out there to protect them. What is clear to me from those videos is two things, the cops did not have one ounce of consideration for the dozens of innocent people that were in the area and the cops only cared about themselves. I am not making the leap that all cops are like this, but the fact that some are should be enough for everyone else to reconsider their position on who cops truely serve.

Yet there are still people in this country who believe that cops are out there to protect them. What is clear to me from those videos is two things, the cops did not have one ounce of consideration for the dozens of innocent people that were in the area and the cops only cared about themselves. I am not making the leap that all cops are like this, but the fact that some are should be enough for everyone else to reconsider their position on who cops truely serve.

this is absolutely NOT how liberals think. Their reaction will be OMG, criminal with guns, we need moar lawrs!!!

This ain't new either or FL thing, remember when there was a shootout in NYC on a crowded street with cops laying down a few civs? Yeah, that did much to change their opinion or anyone's on the matter.

If we ignore the idea that the cops didn’t even need to engage at that time in the first place, there were four options they could have taken.

1. Actively engage and expose themselves to try to draw fire away from bystanders. That would be the most brave. None did so.

2. Stand their ground and engage. Use their own vehicle as cover if reasonable based on where they are.

3. Run and hide.

4. Use innocent bystanders as cover while shooting at a vehicle with a hostage in it that’s also surrounded by other innocent bystanders. That would be the most cowardly. Yet many did so.

What do you do in that situation if a LEO is using your car to hide behind and thus drawing fire your way? Drive away? Stay put?

Drive away. He has no respect for my life and safety, why should I have any for his?

Every UPS and FedEx driver in FL should immediately demand hazardous duty pay and a company provided $1 million AD&D policy.

R

I'd rather the police let them go, attempt to keep track of them and go from there compared to this. This was completely out of line. Chasing people into corners and shooting it out while the entire scene is 360º bystanders is doctrine that needs to go.

This puts the LA shoot out to shame.

28705453_59f529d0d4.jpg

The cops ultimate goal is public safety. The whole reason they chase bad guys and try to apprehend them is because it deters the bad guys from engaging in an unlawful behavior. The overall effect is beneficial to public safety. When they indiscrimately shoot at bad guys in the presence of good guys then what you have is a threat to public safety.

But for the police going full retard, all the good guys get to be with their loved ones tonight. There should be so much public outrage over this. What the police just said by way of their actions is collateral damage is secondary to making sure the bad guy gets caught. Maybe there is 100 packages on the truck with an average value of say $100. Innocent people are dead over $10k??? It will be a huge mistake if the cops and prosecutors try to spin this any other way than an absolute avoidable tragedy

Back
Top Bottom