• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Video shows off-duty Chicago police officer shooting unarmed, autistic man

commodon

NES Member
That's not good...

Video footage released on Tuesday, October 16th by a civil rights group shows an off-duty Chicago police officer shooting an unarmed, autistic man during an incident initially described as an armed confrontation.

Sgt Khalil Muhammad shot then-18-year-old Ricardo Hayes as he walked on the city’s South Side. Hayes had wandered away from his home around 5am on 13 August 2017, according to a lawsuit over the shooting filed by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU). His caretaker called police, informing them he was autistic.

The grainy home security video released by the Civilian Office of Police Accountability (COPA) shows Hayes running along a sidewalk before stopping. Muhammad then stops the SUV he’s driving and gets out. Hayes takes a few steps toward the vehicle before Muhammad shoots him in the arm and chest.

The video shows Hayes running off despite his wounds. Now 19, he has recovered from his injuries.

As a black teenager with disabilities, Ricky was at a heightened risk for police violence,” said Karen Sheley of the ACLU of Illinois said in a statement. “Thankfully, he survived – but he should never have been shot.

At the time, police officials described the incident as an armed confrontation.

The video shows both that there was no justification for the officer to shoot him and that initial stories told by CPD officials about the shooting – that the ‘encounter escalated’ – were false,” Sheley said.

The sergeant’s call to 911 was among the audio files released.

The guy, like, he was about to pull a gun. Walked up to the car, and I had to shoot,” Muhammad told a Chicago Fire Department dispatcher. Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson later said Hayes had no weapon.

In a statement, COPA said its delay in releasing the Hayes video and related material was due to concerns about the legality of releasing of information related to wards of the state.

Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said Tuesday that Muhammad is on administrative leave pending the outcome of the COPA investigation.

Video shows off-duty Chicago police officer shooting unarmed, autistic man

Last edited:
So was the off duty cop in his own vehicle? If so, why did he stop there in the first place? Did the kid just go up to his vehicle because he stopped? Seems odd that the confrontation happened at all.

This crap makes my blood boil. As it should everyone. Sgt. Muhammed should be stripped of his badge and any other 'benefit' to being a LEO, and put in general population. Tell everyone else in general population who he is and what he did. Repeatedly.

Justice will be metered out one way or another.

Second City Cop: COPA Headhunting

COPA is Chicago's Civilian Office of Police Accountability -
the civilian review board.

(You need to understand some of the slang, but) the Second City Cop blog readership
are not OK with this.

Many question the timing as being politically expedient during the runup to elections.

Many are afraid that decades old use-of-force cases are going to be re-opened by COPA
to provide the appearance of being tough on abusive cops.

Many are bull<bleep> that white cop Jason Van Dyke was convicted
for shooting armed Laquan McDonald while on duty,
while Khalil Muhammad was merely given desk duty
for shooting unarmed autistic "Ricky" Ricardo while off duty

The shooter has several kinds of bad reputation in the department.
While one or two commenters don't automatically assume it was a
bad shoot for that reason alone,
no one is trying to call it a good shoot - No. One.
No one's trying to blame the kid, even in a hypothetical.

One guy calls the incident a "drive-by".

It seems like the “sand” people don’t make very good police officers.

Khalil Muhammad is Black - not from the Mideast.

Someone alleges that part of his political pull is derived from
Muhammad having been assigned for a while as one of Louis Farrakhan's bodyguards.
Alleges. Who knows the truth?
=====
ETA: Fixed the raft of "Muhammed" typos.

Last edited:
So was the off duty cop in his own vehicle? If so, why did he stop there in the first place? Did the kid just go up to his vehicle because he stopped? Seems odd that the confrontation happened at all.

Was wondering if maybe there was a prior altercation or something we didnt see farther up the street? Seems odd that the autistic boy would be sprinting and then stop, turn, and walk to the car otherwise. We hear the shot from the car but no car horn or muffled yell from the officer, and to be completely honest I'm not sure how well a autistic kid would stop on command.

So a black cop shoots a black kid. It seems the indoctrination of his membership in one group has trumped his ethnic affiliation with another group.

This is insanity. The cop didn't wait even a couple of seconds.

Have you ever tried to draw while seated in your car?? Clearly the cop had his gun out before he even came to a stop.

Justifiable homicide.
1) Ability - maybe
2) opportunity - not even close. all the cop had to do was step on the accelerator and he was safe.
3) jeopardy - NO - no demonstrated aggression by the kid.

I'll say it again. This is INSANITY.

I truly despise the tactics used by BLM and because of that consider them to practically be a domestic terror organization. But there is no doubt that their concern is valid.

Was wondering if maybe there was a prior altercation or something we didnt see farther up the street? Seems odd that the autistic boy would be sprinting and then stop, turn, and walk to the car otherwise. We hear the shot from the car but no car horn or muffled yell from the officer, and to be completely honest I'm not sure how well a autistic kid would stop on command.

When it comes to Autism nothing can ever be considered odd. Ever. He probably would not stop on command.
Prior altercation? Attempt to justify and clear the hero????

Last edited:
When it comes to Autism nothing can ever be considered odd. Ever. He probably would not stop on command.
Prior altercation? Attempt to justify and clear the hero????

No, just logic. If I think you're a f***ing idiot from another thread, chances are I'll treat you like a f***ing idiot in this one based on our preexisting interactions.

Hypothetically, of course.

No, just logic. If I think you're a f***ing idiot from another thread, chances are I'll treat you like a f***ing idiot in this one based on our preexisting interactions.

Hypothetically, of course.

Your logic is beyond laughable.

Back
Top Bottom