• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Video: Road rage shooting caps Georgia spring break chaos at Tybee Island (Video of general mayhem)

Reptile

NES Member

1 person wounded, another arrested after more than 40,000 revelers turned out for popular beach bash​

A man is accused of shooting at a car during a road rage incident as emergency services were stretched to the breaking point during this past weekend's spring break-like bash on Georgia's Tybee Island.

An estimated 40,000 to 55,000 HBCU (historically Black colleges and universities) co-ed revelers flocked to the three-square-mile island for Orange Crush Festival, which created havoc and gridlock on the roadways, particularly on Highway 80.

Late Saturday night, Adam Bauer, 38, was arrested and charged with six counts of aggravated assault after allegedly shooting at another car on Highway 80 near Fort Pulaski, according to the Chatham County Police Department.

Damn. Just damn. I recall being down at a buddy's house in Savannah and he talked about how the "kids" go to Tybee after prom or grajamashun or something.

That was. . . . 15-18 years ago. It seemed nice then. He's since moved to the Mountainous region of Jo-Jah. I wonder if the urbanization of Savannah had anything to do with that.

HBCU group. Thannon Tharpe is pithhhed. Take any good thing and the shitbirds will destroy it in time. 40,000 people on Tybee is excessive no matter WHAT the group. And with 40,000 people in that tiny space, there is GOING to be trouble. (Honestly, the trouble reported vs. 40K isn't that high at all. But that's not the place for 40K people to begin with. Half of hte issues are related to that.)

Sorry I had to [smile]

people-on-a-safari-vacation-watching-wildlife.jpg

I'm sure they cleaned up all their trash too.

Reminds of my years in VA beach during the mid to late 80s, and how the Greekfest riots effected that area for many years since then. It wasn't good.

Tybee Island used to be a nice place. I did some work out of there about 20 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s been on the decline since. Anyplace mid Atlantic and south on the coast sucks anymore, unless it’s one of the places where property is obscenely priced.

Shut yo mouf.

There are some really nice places on the coast of NC. Ask me how I know. Of course, you could drive a half hour west or south and find crappy neighborhoods easy enough

Those damn red headed irish kids, at it again

Right. Because Ft Laud had to crack down so much and basically destroyed Spring Break in the place that sort of "invented" Spring Break because of the black rambunctious collitch students 30 years ago. :rolleyes: FWIW, it was a sea of white flesh and big hair back in the day.

I was in Savanah a few times in the late 80s when my sister lived there. Hit up this place called the Shrimp Shack or something like that on Tybee Island. Place had great shrimp and large quantities for a decent price. Tybee seemed like a nice place back then.

Gotta go back and bold the rest of my quote. There are some nice places, but property is sky high.

There are some pretty reasonable areas. I'm in Morehead City NC. My house is 3300 sf, not including a finished room over the garage and an unheated 12x12 attached sunroom. 27x27 HUGE two car garage. Level half acre. 4br, 3 full + half bath. LR, DR, K, and family room. 1st floor master, laundry & mudroom. I am on well & septic but there's town water & sewer should we decide to connect. All underground utilies. I paid $315k for it in 2017, although it needed a few projects and a paintjob done ($15K). Right now I could ask $575k and get it. Most of the other houses in my neighborhood are still under $400k.

Oh, and my COMBINED city and county property taxes are about $2700. So yeah, f*** Massachusetts

There are some pretty reasonable areas. I'm in Morehead City NC. My house is 3300 sf, not including a finished room over the garage and an unheated 12x12 attached sunroom. 27x27 HUGE two car garage. Level half acre. 4br, 3 full + half bath. LR, DR, K, and family room. 1st floor master, laundry & mudroom. I am on well & septic but there's town water & sewer should we decide to connect. All underground utilies. I paid $315k for it in 2017, although it needed a few projects and a paintjob done ($15K). Right now I could ask $575k and get it. Most of the other houses in my neighborhood are still under $400k.

Oh, and my COMBINED city and county property taxes are about $2700. So yeah, f*** Massachusetts
I'd take Morehead City over most other places around the bend from Hatteras. Not sure what Massachusetts has to do with it.

I'd take Morehead City over most other places around the bend from Hatteras. Not sure what Massachusetts has to do with it.

Because if you took my same house and moved it to Cape Cod, and it was the same distance from beaches, boating, stores, restaurants, the hospital, etc. this same house would be $1.2M and property taxes would be $15K

I was in Savanah a few times in the late 80s when my sister lived there. Hit up this place called the Shrimp Shack or something like that on Tybee Island. Place had great shrimp and large quantities for a decent price. Tybee seemed like a nice place back then.

NO ONE knew about Savannah until Midnight In the Garden back in 90-something. Then it was a hot place to be. People discovered it's right on the water and flocked there. Then it gets out of control.

Everywhere is like that. Somewhere nice is always exploited in the end. Agent Smith was right. We're a disease. LOL

NO ONE knew about Savannah until Midnight In the Garden back in 90-something. Then it was a hot place to be. People discovered it's right on the water and flocked there. Then it gets out of control.

Everywhere is like that. Somewhere nice is always exploited in the end. Agent Smith was right. We're a disease. LOL

I had a place on Hilton Head in the late 90s and I sat on the beach for a couple of days and read that book from cover to cover. Then I went over to Savannah and I spent the day driving around the city checking out every place that was mentioned in that book.

Back then one of the better-known secrets of Savannah was a place called Mrs Wilkes boarding house. They open the place up for food and it was all family style sit at the table next to who's ever in line, kind of like the old Durgan Park in Boston. Some of the best fried chicken I've ever had in my life was from that place.

Back
Top Bottom