• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Video on disassembling and reassembling a Ruger Mark I

swatgig

NES Life Member
NES Member
Here's a quickie on disassembling and reassembling a MKI. I know it sucks. Feel free to tell me how to make it better.

I recorded this while looking through the viewfinder of the camera, not looking at the gun. Helps keep fingers out of the way.

The video is much better than you think - the problems show a level of realism that I think is actually helpful to the viewer.

A couple of tips for the reassembly:

1. Before inserting the bolt, hold the muzzle up and pull the trigger. This will release the sear and allow the hammer to fall all the way back so that the bolt will slide over it. Make sure the strut isn't caught in the cross pin inside the grip frame. If it is caught, the hammer cannot rotate all the way back and it will block the bolt.
2. Once the bolt is in, hold the muzzle down and pull the trigger to allow the hammer to rotate to the UP (fired) position. You may have to push the hammer forward with a stick or a punch. This will keep the hammer and the hammer strut (doohickey) out of the way of the mainspring assembly when you go to push the bolt stop pin up through the receiver. Then press the bolt stop pin up through the hole.
3. Once the mainspring assembly is in all the way, hold the muzzle up and pull the trigger again to allow the hammer to fall back to the down (cocked) position. Make sure the strut is hanging freely and isn't caught in the cross pin which you can see through the rear.
4. I hold the muzzle at about a 30-45 degree angle to properly position the strut to meet the plunger as I close the mainspring assembly. You can tell it's in the right place because you will feel a little spring pressure as you close the mainspring. If the mainspring falls into the frame, the strut is not on the plunger. Once you press the mainspring home, flip up the lever and Bob's your uncle.

Back
Top Bottom