1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. NES Life memberships are now available, click here for details.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

VIDEO: NAACP President Claims He Was Profiled On Stop, Then Chief Releases Video

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mikeyp, May 15, 2018.

1. EC1

EC1 NES Member

honestly the police in MA should be pulling people over, I can't even begin to count the number of times a--holes on the highways simply change lanes in front of me without signalling or giving adequate clearance.

SKumar likes this.

2. scatter

scatter NES Member

I was stopped once in OK for "not leaving my signal on long enough" while passing on the interstate, having an "obscured license plate" (my plate frame covered part of the state name), and following too close (I certainly was not, because the cop had been following me for a couple miles and I knew he was there). Turns out there are lots of drug runs around there on I-40, and I'm guessing he just saw the out-of-state plate and went fishing. He gave me a warning :rolleyes:. I also found out, almost the hard way, that OK is a "required to notify" state, but that's another story.

3. Horrible

Horrible NES Member

I blame the legislature for making lawrs regarding something that should be considered common courtesy. Are we going to arrest people for not holding the door when going into Dunks?

There should be a lawr that dictates to make a new lawr, three existing lawrs need to be repealed.

scatter likes this.
  4. scatter

scatter NES Member

I don't know about pulling people over just for being a**h***s, but this sort of thing torques me too. I'm in the right hand lane, reasonable speed, guy comes screaming up from behind, passes me, and yanks it back over in front of me with almost no clearance and no signal. Nothing in front of him in either lane. Happens all the time on the interstate. I've seen guys with trailers do it. I've seen people do it to big trucks. Not only a**h***s, but stupid a**h***s.

Frizzle Fry likes this.
  5. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

No idea if he was profiled or not, but it’s certsinly possible. But whether he was or not, it doesn’t matter too much. In either case the stop was a BS fishing expedition.

If the driver really wrote that transcript, he’s a race baiting liar.

W.E.C likes this.
  6. W.E.C

W.E.C NES Member

My humble opinion,

This whole thing is nothing.

Cop on a fishing trip,
    Gets no bite, makes up stupid excuse for stopping driver*, lets him go.

Butthurt driver wants to push the issue , plays the race card..

* the law says driver gets 45 days to get the paperwork on transferred plates.

Transferring SC License Plates
    If the license plates on your sold vehicle are still current, you can transfer them to another vehicle. Doing so requires properly registering of the vehicle within 45 days after the date of purchase. During this period, you are expected to store copies of the following documents in the new vehicle:

• The old vehicle's registration.
    • Bill of sale.
    • Car title.
    • Rental contract.

7. Frizzle Fry

Frizzle Fry NES Member

So the officer pulled him over for failure to signal - that is a perfectly valid reason to pull someone over if the law says use a turn signal. The officer was polite, and didn't ticket him for it - or for the seatbelt violation. When his registration came back screwy, they let him pass on that too and advised him to get it sorted out... No hassle or shakedown. No fines, tickets, fees, yelling, name calling, etc. The gentleman was let off the hook. Sure, not everybody gets pulled over for failure to signal, but they do tend to when it happens in front of a cop. Similarly when a handful of people whiz by a trooper at 80mph chances are one is getting pulled over and the others are getting off scott free.

Why two cruisers? It was late at night, not in a densely populated or well lit area, the officer was solo, and the car appeared to have 4 or more people in it and tinted windows. That's pretty standard north of the Mason-Dixon, too. I wouldn't nitpick on the officer wanting a second cruiser. I definitely wouldn't put any faith in Mr. Pastor since he's clearly full of it.

The last time I was pulled over (as a passenger in a vehicle) there were two cruisers - this was in the middle of nowhere on the Ashby MA / Greenfield NH line, and the officers were very cool. Almost the same situation except it was two white/middle-eastern guys in the vehicle. Legitimately doing a bit over the speed limit on a dark night, a solo officer pulls us over and waits for a second cruiser. We were polite and he was polite - no ticket or written warning involved. Calmly declared weapons in the vehicle when asked, showed firearms licenses, kept hands visible, and there was no yelling or harsh words, etc. Funny thing is the driver had just got vanity plates about a month earlier, and they didn't show up in the system. The officer took the registration and was still unable to get it to pop up; similar to the Reverends case, he simply said to check with the RMV and said have a good night.

BigTimber likes this.
  8. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

Or just maybe - like in MA - the officers have a monthly quota of tickets they have to write... Anyone who thinks this man was profiled - that the officer could identify he was black in a moving vehicle at night with tinted windows - I've got a bridge to sell ya.

Evadd, BigTimber and Frizzle Fry like this.
  9. scatter

scatter NES Member

I can't speak to MA cop quotas, but my son is a county cop in Maryland. There are no quotas there. I have asked him several times. In fact he tries hard NOT to stop people because then he will have to go to court, and since he lives in a different district than he works in, he has to drive his own vehicle nearly an hour each way at his own expense, only to have the judge dismiss the charges if the "perps" show up for court. I'm talking about traffic violations here, not serious stuff. He takes the serious stuff, well, seriously.

I have ridden with him on a night shift. We saw cars approaching from behind at 90+ on a two lane highway. He said, "watch this." Well of course they hit the brakes once they saw the cruiser, and didn't pass us. He just laughed. But there was no way he was going to invest the time and effort and frustration in pulling somebody over who wasn't in the process of hurting somebody else.

Evadd likes this.
  10. GM-GUY

GM-GUY NES Member

Why were there two cars for a traffic stop? To have a witness.

Betting his Drivers License indicated 'Reverend' so he didn't write the ticket.

This is a case of stopped for a reason, a dumb ass reason as it looks like no one else was around, but still the law doesn't say 'indicate direction only when someone else is around'.

Frizzle Fry likes this.
  11. Dadstoys

Dadstoys NES Member

They screamed for cops to have body cams. [rofl]
    Ok , you got it.
    Professional victim might be an endangered species now.

PaulR, Evadd, MachineHead and 2 others like this.
  12. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

I have no idea if he was profiled or not, but people with evidently better observation skills than you are absolutely capable of identifying people's race in moving cars at night. His front window was rolled down by the start of the video so not sure how you could tell it was tinted. So the notion he could not have been profiled because of that is pretty dumb.

13. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

Well if the cop was profiling him and out to get him because he was black - why did he not jam him up for the invalid reg, or even write him a ticket for the blinker? Seems the folks here that are accusing the officer have no insight into why that would be. Let's just ignore the fact that an infraction was committed.... one the good and honorable rev. didn't deny. We'll just ignore those inconvenient truths...

Maybe someone with "better observation skills" can identify someone's race as they drive by at night. I don't spend any time profiling people as they drive by and I'm pretty sure the police aren't trained to do that either.

So tell me - when is it actually permissible for an officer to pull over a black man? If failure to signal is a crime only whites can be jammed up for does speeding qualify, or does he have to run someone over first?

Frizzle Fry likes this.
  14. Frizzle Fry

Frizzle Fry NES Member

QFT.

The whole interaction was on film - if the officer thought it was "mess with a black guy night" the lying Reverand would have gone home with a ticket for failing to signal, a seatbelt violation, or bad plates/reg (or some combination thereof). Instead he got a pass on all three, a very polite suggestion that he get the reg dealt with and put on his seatbelt, and his response was to make up some BS story to slander the officer and get a little attention.

DPR likes this.
  15. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

Pretty much... As someone prior said - professional victim... He's a member of the professional victim class. Frankly, all these folks like the NAACP are. Glad the cop had a body cam. We need more of that. Keeps BOTH sides honest.

Frizzle Fry likes this.
  16. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

17. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

I didn’t say I think he was profiled so I have no idea. I said your reasoning that he could not have been because it’s impossible for cops to see a drivers skin color at night isn’t true.

No, folks here aren’t doing that. Just the race baiting driver that sparked this thread.

What you are pretty sure of and what can and does happens are at odds.

What? I’m not sure what you want me to tell you because I didn’t say any of that.

18. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Honestly - do they let ANYONE be an attorney??? Talk about the walking dumb. As a stump.

"I got this and the dealer said I was ok." "You aint'." "Well, they told me. . . " Since F'ing WHEN was a dealership the DMV????? I'd be calling the sales person and giving THEM holy hell. Nope. Let me blather about to the officer.

Oh, but a non-signal stop? C'mon, man!

Evadd likes this.
  19. MachineHead

MachineHead NES Member

20. robjax

robjax NES Member

I don't know if he was profiled or not. I just think pulling someone over for failing to use a directional is pretty lame. In the video I didn't see a lot of traffic or any at all so who the hell is he signaling to with a directional?

Total scum for the lying.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Bonesinium likes this.
  21. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

Okay then - I challenge you to produce one piece of current police training material that shows and directs officers how to profile drivers based on race.... Go on, I'll wait.

22. Junior314

Junior314 NES Member

Is it a lame excuse to get pulled over.... sure is. Cop seemed nothing short of polite during the interaction, which shouldn't be asking much of police but unfortunately is nowadays.

Doesn't change the fact that the Pastor/Reverend w/e he is a POS lying scumbag. Police do a good enough job drumming up bad publicity for themselves. No need for idiots like this one to toss a can of gas on the fire, and we all know this was to boost his popularity within the community and in some way line his own pockets.

Evadd likes this.
  23. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

Why? That’s not what I said.

If you think police only do what they are trained to do, then to use your words, I have a bridge to sell you.

24. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

Based on what W.E.C posted earlier, it actually looks like the driver was correct and the cop wrong about the registration issue, as long as it was within 45 days of the car sale.

25. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

Oh but that is exactly what you said....

me:
    I don't spend any time profiling people as they drive by and I'm pretty sure the police aren't trained to do that either.

you:

So again - I issue you the challenge to produce any form of proof of your accusation that police are trained to profile based on race.. Either that or walk it back...

26. Radtekk

Radtekk NES Member

10 or so years ago in Arizona I got pulled over by a cop for running a red light. It was after midnight, I was on my way home form work, I was tired. I made a left turn from a left turn lane on to the entrance ramp to RTE 202, which is basically like 3, 495, etc. The oncoming roadway was torn up to the sand, there were construction vehicles, pylons, barricades, etc, a fricking Main Battle Tank would have had a problem getting through and having a head on collision with me. There was ZERO traffic on the road, except for me and apparently the cop. I blew the light, there was NO possibility that I was cutting anybody off, causing a traffic hazard, endangering anybody, nada, but the light WAS red when I signaled, did NOT stop, and went through the "intersection". I saw the cop's lights come on and was pulled over and stopped before he had gone 100 yards.
    Him: Hi, Maricopa Sherriff's office, how you doing?
    Me: Guess I should have waited for the light, huh?
    Him: Yup, it was red.
    Me: Yeah, I know. It's late, I'm tired, on the way home from work, wife said "Get cough medicine for the child" and I just plain didn't GAF about the light, I know there's no roadway for oncoming traffic.
    Him: Yeah, it was red though...

I gave him license, reg, etc. He came back 5 minutes later, handed me my stuff, said "Stop for the light next time, ok? Even if there's no traffic."
    Me: "Count on it!"

Like em or not, they're LAWS. Easier and cheaper to not get a ticket than go to court and try to argue with a judge.

Frizzle Fry likes this.
  27. robjax

robjax NES Member

your headlights probably woke him from his nap.

28. Bonesinium

Bonesinium NES Member

Your reading comprehension sucks.

Try reading what you wrote and quoted again.

I’ll help.

You being pretty sure police aren’t trained to profile people is at odds with police being able to and indeed profiling people.

Understand?

29. Admin

Admin Staff Member Administrator Moderator NES Member

I got pulled over in my town of 2000 for slow rolling a stop sign with nobody in the intersection. Must be because I'm black.

whalerman69, drgrant and Frizzle Fry like this.
  30. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

Ummm. no. But I applaud your effort to save face.. Let's break it down...

You:
    You being pretty sure....

okay what am I pretty sure of:
    "police aren’t trained to profile people"

You:

So what am I pretty sure of and what you say can and does happen? That would be the police being trained to profile...

Nice try to spin it to save face though... Read a book and get back to me. I have a suggestion:

http://a.co/egi1f4y

When the police err - it's fine to call them out. But this officer did nothing wrong and if anything cut the good and honorable Rev a break. To even suggest he was racially profiling... That's just ignorant and those who do are no better than this good and honorable Rev themselves.

The police have a job to do and that's to enforce the law. It is a law that your dumb ass needs to use your blinka... If you don't - don't get your panties in a bind when the police do their job. They're not profiling. Just because you don't like the law - that doesn't make it profiling either.

Last edited: May 17, 2018