• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Victims mother sues gun owner

MJM

Victim’s mother sues gun owner in NH shooting

July 01, 2012|Denise Lavoie, AP Legal Affairs Writer

From Boston.com

Gail Jones says she has forgiven the man who shot and killed her 23-year-old son during a botched robbery at a New Hampshire Army surplus store five years ago.

But she is hoping her son’s death, in which a stolen gun was used, will prompt gun owners to be more careful about locking up their firearms.

Jones is suing the grandfather of the man who killed her son and two other men, alleging that his failure to secure his gun properly enabled his grandson to steal it and use it in the shootings on July 2, 2007.

Michael Woodbury is serving a life sentence in the deaths of Gary Jones, of Halifax, Mass., William Jones, 25, of Walpole, Mass., and James Walker, 34, of Denmark, Maine. He admitted to killing the men.

Walker was the manager of the Army Barracks store, a military surplus and outdoor gear store in Conway, N.H. Gary Jones and William Jones were friends who happened to stop by on their way home from a camping trip in Maine. Woodbury said he killed the men when they tried to tackle him during the robbery.

Jones said she hopes her lawsuit will send a message to gun owners to make sure their guns are stored securely.

“That is where I’ve taken this, not out of retaliation because it’s not that,’’ she said. Instead, her hope is that “maybe something else can become of it, and in this instance, just maybe trying to stiffen up the gun laws in New Hampshire or putting some responsibility on a homeowner that owns guns.’’

Jones faces an uphill battle. A federal judge in New Hampshire dismissed the lawsuit last year after finding that Jones had not proven her claims that Woodbury’s grandfather, Lawrence Secord, was negligent.

Jones appealed to the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Boston, which heard arguments in the case June 5. The court is expected to rule within the next few months.

Woodbury, 31, of Windham, Maine, had been released from prison two months before the shootings after completing a five-year sentence on robbery charges. In the weeks leading up to the shootings, Woodbury went on a multi-state crime spree that included robbing a bank in Florence, S.C., holding up a clothing store in Chattanooga, Tenn., and breaking into a home in St. Simons Island, Ga., and then setting it on fire.

Authorities said he stole the .22-caliber handgun from his grandfather’s hunting camp in Wentworth Location, N.H., a family camp he had visited while growing up.

Jones claims in her lawsuit that Secord should have taken steps to secure his gun when he learned his grandson had returned to the area after being released from prison. She also says he failed to report the theft of the gun promptly.

So, she's forgiven the scumbag that killed her son, but wants to sue the scumbags grandfather?

Does not compute.

Just another land shark circling at the smell of money.
Most legitimate gun owners are not indigent penniless dirtbags.

lawsuits like these don't happen without a money hungry attorney seeing $$$. The mother will see shit from any settlement.

Tragedy either brings out the best in people or the worst in people. I don't think this is her best.

Jones claims in her lawsuit that Secord should have taken steps to secure his gun when he learned his grandson had returned to the area after being released from prison. She also says he failed to report the theft of the gun promptly.

Hey, memo to stupid bitch, neither one of those things are legally required in NH. Good luck with that. [rofl]

-Mike

States need to look alot more closely at these types of frivolous law suits and start pinning it to the people who bring them. Force them to pay all the fees and lawyer costs for the winning side, too much of this crap tying up the courts.

I grew up in Mass with a Mike Woodbury (who's would be about that same age). Based on what I knew about him, wouldn't be a shock if it's the same one as in this story.

States need to look alot more closely at these types of frivolous law suits and start pinning it to the people who bring them. Force them to pay all the fees and lawyer costs for the winning side, too much of this crap tying up the courts.

Also start imposing sanctions on the lawyers who agree to take these frivolous cases.

Hey, memo to stupid bitch, neither one of those things are legally required in NH. Good luck with that.

-Mike

Mike, While I agree it is a complete waste of time and she may have been ill avised by some scumbag laywer...until you have lost a child you may not understand but you do alot of crazy things....calling her a dumb bitch is just un-kind given her circumstances .

Last edited:
I agree, shes a dumb bitch who dosent know the law or care to. Her scumbag kid kills multiple people after already serving time for robbery. He should get death by firing squad and she should be laughed out of court, period.

I agree, shes a dumb bitch who dosent know the law or care to. Her scumbag kid kills multiple people after already serving time for robbery. He should get death by firing squad and she should be laughed out of court, period.
Her son was one of the people killed in the robbery.

Get a clue. Her son didn't do shit except try to tackle the scumbag and die.

The Jones' have more money than they know what to do with and for many years have donated to lots of needy folks, anonymously. She is trying to find a way to legitimize her loss and unless you have lost a loved one in such a manner, go f#ck yourself.
While I find her suit to be grasping at straws, she is no bitch.
Show a little respect.

Sorry i read quickly. Glad the scumbag is dead and gone! In my opinion the mother is still showing a complete disregard for the law, regardless of her motivation. She needs to go home and rethink why her son was such a P.O.S to begin with instead of trying to screw law abiding citizens who have already been put through enough!

Sorry i read quickly. Glad the scumbag is dead and gone! In my opinion the mother is still showing a complete disregard for the law, regardless of her motivation. She needs to go home and rethink why her son was such a P.O.S to begin with instead of trying to screw law abiding citizens who have already been put through enough!
The scumbag is still alive and serving a life sentence.

So of course a gun free state tells her to pound sand, then she goes to a commie anti-gun state and wants another try. So typical of idiots, maybe the gun telepathically communicated with this loser to break into someones place to steal a gun, then go and use that gun to rob another place. Now it does suck that innocent people lost their lives, but for this $%nt to forgive him but yet try to prosecute another victim, is just asinine. I'm sure some people won't like this, but I really hope something bad happens to her in the future and the lawyers helping her. So stupid how this country is so pro-lawsuit, yet nobody ever wants to blame the ones committing the acts.

Charles.

Humm...perhaps a new pair of reading glasses are in order?

I apologize to all who have disagreed with my above comments. I did not fully understand the story as i read through it quickly. My fault, no excuse , i misunderstood.

So of course a gun free state tells her to pound sand, then she goes to a commie anti-gun state and wants another try. So typical of idiots, maybe the gun telepathically communicated with this loser to break into someones place to steal a gun, then go and use that gun to rob another place. Now it does suck that innocent people lost their lives, but for this $%nt to forgive him but yet try to prosecute another victim, is just asinine. I'm sure some people won't like this, but I really hope something bad happens to her in the future and the lawyers helping her. So stupid how this country is so pro-lawsuit, yet nobody ever wants to blame the ones committing the acts.

Charles.

Classy guy you are Chuck!..... (I'm sure some people won't like this, but I really hope something bad happens to her in the future and the lawyers helping her). Classy Chuck just Classy!

P.S. I do agree with the Lawyer portion of your rant....[cheers]

Last edited:
Get a clue. Her son didn't do shit except try to tackle the scumbag and die.

The Jones' have more money than they know what to do with and for many years have donated to lots of needy folks, anonymously. She is trying to find a way to legitimize her loss and unless you have lost a loved one in such a manner, go f#ck yourself.
While I find her suit to be grasping at straws, she is no bitch.
Show a little respect.

So doing something good once means she isn't a bitch for what she is doing now? No matter how many hospitals I build with my own money, hands whatever. If I rape just one person i'm still a rapist, and deserve the punishment due. She may have done nice things, but now with a frivolous BS lawsuit she is trying to take our rights away. In my mind that makes her the enemy, no better than someone trying to kill me or any of the others trying to take my rights away. I accord her NO respect for being an enemy of what's right.

I don't care what you think of the lawsuit, it pisses me off too. Her battle is in her head and playing out for all to see. Her son would have told her not to do it and one day she may see the light. It may take years.

Last Tuesday I sat through my third parole hearing from a killing in 1990 where five racists chased down and savagely beat and murdered a loved one. Now, every two then three years we will sit at the next one, then, the next one, then all over again. The rage you feel as the board goes into great detail of those moments in time and then your family tells the board of the reality of our "new" lives from the fateful phone call from the homicide detectives until present day. It never goes away.

Mrs. Jones will forever think "what if" as we all do but nothing will change. Many years from now she will still have the nightmares and scream his name, but nothing changes. She may say she forgives his killer but that is bullshit. She would strangle him if given the chance although she'd be in a long line. The lawsuit will be a waste of time but she has plenty. We all grieve in our own way, this is part of hers.

If any of you ninjas and commandos were able to sit down with her for five minutes you would still disagree with her views on the gun issue but not one of you would look her in the eye and say she is a bitch. Leave it for those four legged females that you all would lay down your lives for if you had to.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom