Vibrating tumbler timer

richc

NES Member
OK... so I have this problem, and I'll bet I'm not alone. I have this bad habit of turning on the tumbler around dinner time and forgetting to shut it off before bed. The damn thing runs all night.

I want a timer. Now I've scoured the internet and there are lots of timers for scheduling 24/7 lights on/off with separate settings for weekends and such, but my needs are so much simpler.

I'd like a very simple dial that allows me to specify how long I want power applied. Just a simple thing, without all the damn complexity of coming up with a complex schedule for a day, week, or month.

I just want to be able to say apply power for three or four hours and be done. Don't do it again tomorrow. Don't do it again next week. Just a one time thing.

Can anyone help? Do you know of such a gizmo?

Thanks,

Rich

OK... so I have this problem, and I'll bet I'm not alone. I have this bad habit of turning on the tumbler around dinner time and forgetting to shut it off before bed. The damn thing runs all night.

I want a timer. Now I've scoured the internet and there are lots of timers for scheduling 24/7 lights on/off with separate settings for weekends and such, but my needs are so much simpler.

I'd like a very simple dial that allows me to specify how long I want power applied. Just a simple thing, without all the damn complexity of coming up with a complex schedule for a day, week, or month.

I just want to be able to say apply power for three or four hours and be done. Don't do it again tomorrow. Don't do it again next week. Just a one time thing.

Can anyone help? Do you know of such a gizmo?

Thanks,

Rich

I use just such a timer for polishing brass. And I think I have an extra one you can have. Let me check.

ETA: The extra one I have here isn't grounded. But I think I have another one at my super-secret out of town reloading lair. PM me on Sunday.

Last edited:
I use just such a timer for polishing brass. And I think I have an extra one you can have. Let me check.

ETA: The extra one I have here isn't grounded. But I think I have another one at my super-secret out of town reloading lair. PM me on Sunday.

Dude... you're da man! Problem is I already ordered it!

Thanks to you and SuperMoto... I thank you and my tumbler thanks you!!!

:)

Last edited:
Dude... you're da man! Problem is I already ordered it!

Thanks to you and SuperMoto... I thank you and my tumbler thanks you!!!

:)

Oh darn, so this means no more "oh crap, I done gone and tard'ed up my brass with corn cob that turned into corn meal now" threads again. You don't use powder checks, right? So there is some hope of future fun I guess... [grin]

Oh darn, so this means no more "oh crap, I done gone and tard'ed up my brass with corn cob that turned into corn meal now" threads again. You don't use powder checks, right? So there is some hope of future fun I guess... [grin]

Live and learn, Tom... live and learn! And thank you for reminding me of that very painful lesson... I guess that is what friends are for, huh! :)

FYI I got some of the corn cob media suggested by several other folks. It is a very fine grain and won't clog up the cases.

Live and learn, Tom... live and learn! And thank you for reminding me of that very painful lesson... I guess that is what friends are for, huh! :)

Yup, always here to kick you back down just as you start to pick yourself up off the floor! [laugh]

Yup, always here to kick you back down just as you start to pick yourself up off the floor! [laugh]

I'm not old enough (yet) to forget about shutting off the tumbler.

Although I have called back home, and asked someone here to shut it off for me. [:p]

I'm sure they also have digital timers at Home Cheapo

i use a chepo lamp timer. the one i have has the removable pins to set the start/stop time. i just removed the start pin and rotate the dial to how many hrs i want it to run and let it go.

Go to the hardware store and get a bathroom fan timer. Mine goes from 0 to 8 hours. You turn it and it tic-tocs down. They have 2 wires and mount in a single hole. I just drilled a 3/8" hole in my Lyman tumblers base and installed it, use wire nuts to connect it in series with the power wire. You just turn it to like 2 hours and after that time the tumbler shuts off. No batteries or electronics to mess up. Cost me about $10. This picture is a 1 hour one but you get the idea. I think I got mine at ACE Hdw.

fv-5010_02.jpg

Go to the hardware store and get a bathroom fan timer. Mine goes from 0 to 8 hours. You turn it and it tic-tocs down. They have 2 wires and mount in a single hole. I just drilled a 3/8" hole in my Lyman tumblers base and installed it, use wire nuts to connect it in series with the power wire. You just turn it to like 2 hours and after that time the tumbler shuts off. No batteries or electronics to mess up. Cost me about $10. This picture is a 1 hour one but you get the idea. I think I got mine at ACE Hdw.

View attachment 8647

That is a fantastic idea. Thanks.

^^^That's what I did. It's right in the wall next to the outlet. You can also put it in a gang box with a cord and have it portable. Mine was from Lowes.

Lowe's has the 12hr timer on closeout, about $7. Intermatic model FD12HWC, rated @ 20A 1HP, so multiple tumblers are OK. It's in the lighting section. A timer a cheap extension cord and a single box w/cover and your done. Jim

Back
Top Bottom