• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

VFW Posts

jasons

NES Life Member
NES Member
How many of you guys are members of a VFW post? I was talking to a guy I shoot with about the VFW and it occurred to me that I don't know much about it. At the local level are they basically just drinking clubs or is there more to it than that? (I know they do some good stuff at the national level.)

Our VFW is a social club,bingo hall and bar....it was my favorite place to drink in town,that and the American Legion,I no longer drink but my wife and I go to bingo sometimes just to get out of the house.

I'm in the same boat... I hardly drink, and I don't need to start drinking now. [grin]

They do some good things, including honor guards for veterans' funerals, and I may eventually join to support that effort.

At one point, I heard about a national VFW membership instead of becoming a member of a local post, but I never pursued it.

I became a life member, when I was part of a post back in IL. Didn't frequent the post much... couldn't take the heavy smoking... Haven't checked out any of posts in MA, since we moved here in 2009... too busy doing other things.

None of us in our family have joined. (Hubby, me, or son) Hubby and I don't really drink so not really interested in it. Son not sure what his reasons are.

they are closing up in many places, not enough new members to sustain the operation and pay the operating costs.

people don't sit around bars starting at 2:30 chain smoking,buying pull tabs, and drinking excessively like they used to.

Same problem exists at most fraternal and social clubs

I am a life member. I originally joined so I could get the hall for half price for my wedding reception.

Many posts have college scholarships, Honor guards at funerals, put flags on vets graves on Memorial day, Veteran's Day, etc. and march in the holiday parades.

I'm also not a big social club drinker, but think the VFW is needed to remind the community of patriotism all those that have served.

We frequent and are in the process of joining one in Amherst. A lot of my friends hang out and drink there, and you can't really beat $1 draft and $3.75 burgers and fries on Fridays.

Mike

I don't know.....it seems like the VFW in Mansfield is just filled by everybody that has been 86'd from all the other bars in town.

But that's just my opinion![rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

I'm an At Large life member. I've been to more than a few VFW posts and I have never had the urge to join one. I don't have enough time on my hands to sit around a dingy bar. Too many of the Posts are falling apart, literally and figuretively. Kinda sad.

Bubba, when you visit VFW posts, do you show your at-large membership card and are you then treated like a member of that post? I'd like to support the organization without feeling obligated to spending a night each week at the bar.

Using Forum Runner. Please excuse spelling errors, formatting, and absent links.

Back
Top Bottom