Veterans Funding left twisting in the wind

Here are some excerpts I pulled from Rick Barton's blog " The Barton Bulletin". Read the entire posting and the follow ups of the truly disturbing conduct of the Democrat's Leaders:

"As Veterans Day draws near, Congressional Democrats are stalling a veterans funding bill, and you need to know about it.

Though the bill was passed by overwhelming bipartisan margins in the House on June 15 and the Senate on Sept. 6, House Democrats have yet to name conferees and allow the bill to move forward. In fact, two weeks into the new fiscal year, not a single one of the twelve annual appropriations bills has been sent to the President for his signature or veto.

House Republican Whip Roy Blunt (R-MO) said the bill is “among the most important pieces of legislation we consider all year — and usually, among the least partisan.” However, it is apparently not this year.

On Oct. 4, House Republican leaders sent a letter to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA.), urging her to appoint conferees to finish work on the veterans funding bill.

Just where does our Congressman, John F. Tierney (D-MA) stand on this issue?

His Congressional website states:

Congressman Tierney is committed to upholding the government’s obligations to our nation’s veterans. Veterans have a special place in our society because of their service to our country. Our government, in return, has an obligation to provide those individuals with the help that they may need, particularly as they grow older.

Have you demanded Speaker Pelosi to appoint conferees to move this bill forward? I thought not.

Tierney was quick to grab the spotlight during the Walter Reed scandal this past spring.

In a Feb 26, 2007 letter to Rep. Henry Waxman, Chairman of the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Tierney wrote:

“Most disturbing to me is the seeming attitude of indifference towards these national heroes and their families by the command and administrators at Walter Reed. The health and safety of these approximately 700 soldiers should be the highest priority for the Department of Army, and I cannot think of a more important topic on which to hold the first National Security and Foreign Affairs Subcommittee hearing in the 110th Congress on. As the primary oversight committee within the House of Representatives, we owe it to these brave heroes to investigate the conditions and care at Walter Reed and to ensure prompt corrective action is taken.”

It appears to me that the attitude of indifference runs most deep among House Democrats. Anyone remotely familiar with Tierney realizes that the hollow rhetoric he is renowned for is rarely if ever followed by action."

Rick will be challenging Tierney again in the 2008 elections. Please consider giving him your support. www.rickbarton.us

Back
Top Bottom