Veterans Day observance

oldyankee

NES Member
[frown] I am increasingly disappointed to learn of the many businesses, institutions, and organizations that do not observe the holiday. Some offer employees the option of using a floater, but many do not even provide that opportunity. Seems to me that Veterans Day should rank much higher than Columbus Day (no insult meant to our citizens of Italian descent) or Thanksgiving (even if it is a biggy for us Yankees) or some of our other nationally observed holidays. I see many stickers advocating "Support Our Troops" and while I'm not really sure what that means (better pay, benefits, medical care, educational opportunities?) I think we should remember that those troops become veterans when they leave the service, and we should not then forget their contributions. If others feel the same I hope they will make note and perhaps we can bring about better recognition for the day. I was in London once on Remembrance Day and the British people and government displayed a much greater respect towards their veterans.
Jim

IT IS INSULTING THAT NOT EVERYONE OBSERVED THIS HOLIDAY!

FOR WHAT THESE VETERANS HAVE DONE AND ARE STILL DOING, THEY SHOULD ALL RECIEVE MEDALS!

YES, I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN, AND I DO HONOR ALL MILITARY AND VETERANS! WHOOORAHH FROM A MARINES SISTER!
SEMPER FI!!!!!!

I know I'm more than a little frustrated that my employer doesn't have it as a holiday. Of course, we just got bought out, so we'll see how that goes.

A lot of it has to do with the governing body of Wall Street and the Nasdaq. They've decided to not recognize Veterans Day as an actual holiday and continue to commence trading. This forces a lot of the Financial Institutions to remain open to service their clients and shareholders. If the Markets closed, you'd see a LOT more companies and businesses recognizing this holiday.

My company used to recognize Veterans Day, but were forced to change that due to the Markets being open.

It is observed as a holiday in our company. But what we do is work today, and then take the Friday after Thanksgiving off so we get a 4 day weekend.

IT IS INSULTING THAT NOT EVERYONE OBSERVED THIS HOLIDAY!

FOR WHAT THESE VETERANS HAVE DONE AND ARE STILL DOING, THEY SHOULD ALL RECIEVE MEDALS!

YES, I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN, AND I DO HONOR ALL MILITARY AND VETERANS! WHOOORAHH FROM A MARINES SISTER!
SEMPER FI!!!!!!

+2 i agree with the entire statement and thats exactly how i feel

Back
Top Bottom