• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Very well written article by a NY lawyer on NY laws. Read it and weep...

New York sucks.

Stay away.
Very true. If the NYPD gestapo pigs see you with a small key-chain-fob-type Swiss Army knife, they will bust you good. Central booking, court appearance, etc. Just like any common criminal. Obama fears a Manhattan nuke. Personally, I feel that it would be a blessing!

That's a good read. I believe that most New England residents attending the National Matches presume that Federal laws allow them to travel through New York however, with the SAFE laws I wonder if they're still covered. In particular what do the Service Rifle guys do as there is no longer any provision for AR's and pre-ban mags in New York? Do the provisions below still apply at all?

New York--- New York prohibits the transportation of handguns except by a resident with a license to carry.

A member or coach of an accredited college or university target pistol team may transport a handgun into or through New York to participate in a collegiate, Olympic or target pistol shooting competition provided that the handgun is unloaded and carried in a separate locked container.

Nonresident target shooters may enter or pass through New York State with handguns for purposes of any NRA approved competition if the competitor has in his possession a copy of the match program, proof of entry and a pistol license from his state of residence. The handgun must be unloaded and transported in a fully opaque container.

New York State has strict laws governing illegal possession of handguns which can result in a possible seven year jail sentence for offenders.

A special caution: New York law presumes that an individual stopped in possession of five or more handguns, without a state permit, possesses the handguns for illegal sale, thus subjecting this person to an increased sentence.

New York is the only state in the Union which prohibits the transportation of handguns without a license. Law-abiding citizens should therefore be particularly careful since they face severe consequences should they inadvertently violate the state's myriad, technical, anti-gun provisions.

New York City--- New York City requires a city permit for possession and transportation of handguns and long guns. New York State handgun permits are invalid within the city limits; however, New York State residents may transport their licensed handguns unloaded through the city if these are locked in a container and the trip is continuous. Rifles and shotguns may be kept in the city for only 24 hours while in transit and these must be unloaded and stored in a locked container or automobile trunk for the period.

New York City forbids the possession of an ``assault weapon,'' which includes various specified semi-automatic rifles and shotguns, or revolving shotgun. It is also unlawful to possess an ``ammunition feeding device'' capable of holding more than 17 rounds in a handgun, and more than 5 rounds in a rifle or shotgun.

In all cases, the general rule should be observed. The New York State law on illegal possession applies to the city as well.

States rights over federal law. We love it when it works for us (freedom lovers) and hate it when it doesn't.

They don't want us, we won't spend our money there.

These sorts of articles are bad for my blood pressure.
This one's not much better: http://www.queensdefense.com/pinksummonsnyc/

Growing up in upstate NYS more than a decade ago gave me the impression that only "really bad people" ended up in trouble with the law. It's all we saw. (After all, the various prisons in upstate are not filled with good people.) Never had a problem with the law. Fights were dealt with by parents/kids and rarely was even the school involved. Guns (rifles and shotguns, at least) were kind of a fact of life, and required no permitting. Even minor drug and alcohol stuff was dealt with via a whack upside the head and the discipline you'd get when you got home.

A decade spent in the Worcester area, dealing with gun permitting, and then experiencing the bullshit that comes along with owning and maintaining a house in this state got me reading, and that reading and my general cynical outlook combine to make conversations about this stuff rather off-putting to friends I grew up with and people who don't care to own a firearm. Heck, I've got a friend who now works as a lawyer for NYS who was defending the MA DCF sex offender exemptions from a couple of months back, and who got into it with another member from here on my FB feed defending the fact that we don't afford all people charged as criminals a jury trial.

It's disappointing. And more depressing when someone - a lawyer, even - reads articles like this and either doesn't see a problem, or throws his hands up and says "that's our system. What do you want me to do about it?"

States rights over federal law. We love it when it works for us (freedom lovers) and hate it when it doesn't.

Sadly, those of us who live in New England are trapped by New York State. Short of taking a boat we have to travel through NYS to get to the rest of the country. This is a GOOD example of what the interstate commerce clause was designed to protect (rather than all the other crap it has been used to support). So, from a constitutional perspective, states rights don't rule in this example.

I believe in States rights, until it infringes of the rights of it's citizens. These are clear violations of the 2nd Amendment here.

I dont think you understand the concept behind states rights and how they work, or are supposed to work, with the constitution.... Besides states rights dont exist according to multiple SCOTUS rulings.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

I hear ya. I feel the same way, although sometimes I feel like somebody needs to stand and fight.

I get that idea of fighting for right. If I had roots here, I might actually do that. I didn't grow up here though, and all of my family members are further south.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont think you understand the concept behind states rights and how they work, or are supposed to work, with the constitution.... Besides states rights dont exist according to multiple SCOTUS rulings.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

However we may feel about state's rights (and I am a strong supporter of government being as localized as possible) the Civil War more or less decided the issue in favor of the federalists. It will probably take another one to give those rights back to the states.

Nothing new here. Forget firearms. Just get caught in NYC with a key chain fob Swiss Army Knife and see what happens! You can be arrested on the spot or issued a DAT (Desk Appointment Ticket) for appearance in court. You could be charged with a high level misdemeanor or even a felony if you have any past criminal record. Avoid NYC like the plague. Only the rich and politically-connected are allowed the means of self-defense in that sh*thole!

Nothing new here. Forget firearms. Just get caught in NYC with a key chain fob Swiss Army Knife and see what happens! You can be arrested on the spot or issued a DAT (Desk Appointment Ticket) for appearance in court. You could be charged with a high level misdemeanor or even a felony if you have any past criminal record. Avoid NYC like the plague. Only the rich and politically-connected are allowed the means of self-defense in that sh*thole!

wife & daughter went to Manhattan this past weekend. Said getting on the ferry to Liberty Island was thru TSA airport type security.

I stayed home. The one time I went to NYC, a hooker hit on me, within 15min of me getting out of the car!!

wife & daughter went to Manhattan this past weekend. Said getting on the ferry to Liberty Island was thru TSA airport type security.

I stayed home. The one time I went to NYC, a hooker hit on me, within 15min of me getting out of the car!!
Probably undercover NYPD vice. Great! Now you get busted for soliciting and get nailed for the little pocketknife that you may have been carrying. That craphole is anti-gun. As pro-gun-people, we should avoid the place like the plague. Why spend money to further their anti-gun agenda?

Found the link reading this reason article.

This is the (long but worth it) post by Don Murray, Esq.

http://www.queensdefense.com/nyc-criminalpossessionweapon/

One more resource worth following:

http://www.newyorkcriminallawyer-blog.com/weapon-possession/

Here's one of the crucial pieces of information from that entire article:

In fairness to the judges who must decide these things, I think they are primarily concerned for the safety of the officers who are executing these warrants. The judges who decide these things are presented with information and are not always in a position to know the full details of the reliability of the information being presented to them. It is hard, if not impossible, for the judges to know which are the "real" cases and which are the less "real" cases based on the barebones information they are provided in search warrant applications.

The judges are supposed to uphold the law - and your rights.

Right there is an admission that they are not -and are basically just part of the "system" - which basically exists to support itself -at your expense.

Found the link reading this reason article.

This is the (long but worth it) post by Don Murray, Esq.

http://www.queensdefense.com/nyc-criminalpossessionweapon/

One more resource worth following:

http://www.newyorkcriminallawyer-blog.com/weapon-possession/

I'm not sure how good it is. The Murray article, in discussing "Airport Gun Cases," make no mention whatsoever of FOPA, not even to say "FOPA doesn't apply because..." Just completely silent on the matter, which makes me believe he's ignorant of its provisions.

Not saying that you can hang your hat on FOPA in NYC. Just saying I'd like to get my "lawyerly advice" from someone who's aware of it.

Back
Top Bottom