• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Very confused about legality of purchasing a USP

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, here's the deal. I have a class-A LTC in Massachusetts, and I want to buy a USP. Specifically, a USP9 Tactical. However, I have been told by several people that buying a USP (any variant) in MA is illegal. It is on the EOPS approved roster.

I am not discriminating between buying a used one privately (with an FA-10) or buying it from a dealer. So my question is, is it legal to buy a "banned" USP from anyone? There are several USPs in the classifieds here, some of which include 10+ round magazines. If I buy these privately, is it legal? Are there any dealers in MA which sell USPs?

Also, there are many many USPs on GunBroker. Is it legal to have these shipped to an FFL in MA and transferred to me?

I'm very confused and could use some assistance.

It is not illegal for you to buy an USP. It is illegal for a dealer to sell them. Buy a used one and buy the tactical barrel separately and you are good to go.

So technically I could buy any weapon allowed by a class-A LTC no matter whether it's "legal" in MA or not?

Edit: privately buy

So technically I could buy any weapon allowed by a class-A LTC no matter whether it's "legal" in MA or not?

Yes (barring guns covered under the AWB). Finding them to buy is another story.

Yes, excluding post-ban assault weapons (and post-ban "large-capacity" magazines).

ETA: seems I'm running a few minutes behind terraformer today. [laugh]

Last edited:
Okay thanks. If a dealer has a used pre-ban USP, for example, could I buy it from that dealer though?

zero hour arms and four seasons always seem to have some in stock. not sure what models though... and they are pricey..

Zero hour arms has a ton in stock! (not any tacticals though). Thanks!

The only diff between normal and tactical is the barrel for the most part. I believe they are interchangeable. I bought a threaded barrel for my Sig and "made" a tactical this way. It should work for the USP as well.

Actually the USP tactical has adjustable sights too, but that's not necessary. Frankly I just like the look of the tactical. I wonder how much a barrel is... could I just order one online without having to do any transfers or anything?

Zero hour arms has a ton in stock! (not any tacticals though). Thanks!

FWIW the USP 9 tac is the "worst tac" out there... I don't think it even has an overtravel stop on the trigger, if I'm not mistaken. IIRC all they did was take a USP9 and drop a threaded barrel into it and rebadge it. You will end up getting the freakishly high adjustables removed eventually. Been there done that. (I have a Tac .45).

Save yourself a boatload of cash and trouble and just get a USP9. If you really want you can drop the match trigger kit in it, which will give you overtravel stop and a slightly better break in SA. If you're in MA the threads do nothing but look cool, anyways. The accuracy difference between the barrels is negligible.

-Mike

Last edited:
Actually the USP tactical has adjustable sights too, but that's not necessary. Frankly I just like the look of the tactical. I wonder how much a barrel is... could I just order one online without having to do any transfers or anything?

Ordering the barrel will have to be from a 3rd party. Check gun broker but H&K won't ship parts to MA...[angry]

After reading what drgrant said I think I will spring for the USP9 or USP9c. Honestly I just like the tac for the look. It's unnecessary and I'd rather get the gun that will have fewer problems.

After reading what drgrant said I think I will spring for the USP9 or USP9c. Honestly I just like the tac for the look. It's unnecessary and I'd rather get the gun that will have fewer problems.

Don't get me wrong... it's not that its broken, it's just that you will pay too much for the privilege of having a gun that is a USP 9 Tactical. [laugh]

When I said "worst" I meant "most poorly equipped". They gyp you out of the match trigger, which is really the best part.... so it makes more sense to just get a USP9 and do whatever to it.

-Mike

Is there a dealer in MA who normally stocks a decent selection of H&K handguns?

Tombstone Trading, and Zero Hour have the best selections of exempt HK's in the state. Expect to pay big premiums at any dealer, though. You are better off biding your time on the FTF market, if you can.

-Mike

Those people lare full of s**t and don't understand the law. Handgun compliance has little to nothing do with legal possession.

The FAQ here will answer all your questions....

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/37553-MA-Handgun-Compliance-Q-A-Thread-(new)

-Mike

Here's my question then. How do so many firearms not on the approved roster list that were not pre 98 end up for private sale in MA? Example: I look in the classifieds on NES and see a NEW Kel-Tec or SA XD. A dealer couldn't have sold it in MA, and it wasn't 'pre-ban.' Is the gun in MA legally? Is any non-approved handgun legal as long as it's in MA and sold privately?

Last edited:
Here's my question then. How do so many firearms not on the approved roster list that were not pre '98 end up for private sale in MA? Example: I look in the classifieds on NES and see a NEW Kel-Tec or SA XD. A dealer couldn't have sold it in MA, and it wasn't 'pre-ban.' Is the gun in MA legally?

People move into the state with non-compliant handguns all the time. This is legal. There are other legal mechanisms as well, but I'm not going to start elaborating about them here for
obvious reasons. The AG's office and various other state level anti-gun cronies read NES on a regular basis, so we're not going to give them any more ideas. The FAQ covers this topic fairly well, so I'm going to close this out....

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom