vermont Supressor bill makes it to Scumlin's desk

This week the Vermont house and senate passed a supressor bill. It almost made it through unscathed until Dick Sears opposed it. That's disappointing, especially considering that he is the reason that the UBC bill died. He negotiated a clause in the supressor bill that restricts usage to ranges, which is asinine. I haven't read the revised text yet, so I don’t know the range restriction is worded. I have no idea how they intend to define tanges nor how they ever intend to enforce the restriction.

But, at least they're going to be legalized, assuming that Scumlin signs the bill.

Is the non range penalty the shitty misdemeanor it always was? if so its pretty much toothless... that and it could get amended out down the road.

This week the Vermont house and senate passed a supressor bill. It almost made it through unscathed until Dick Sears opposed it. That's disappointing, especially considering that he is the reason that the UBC bill died. He negotiated a clause in the supressor bill that restricts usage to ranges, which is asinine. I haven't read the revised text yet, so I don’t know the range restriction is worded. I have no idea how they intend to define tanges nor how they ever intend to enforce the restriction.

But, at least they're going to be legalized, assuming that Scumlin signs the bill.

It's worse than this.

http://legislature.vermont.gov/assets/Documents/2016/Docs/JOURNAL/hj150515.pdf - H. 5 suppressors sections start at page 93.

That is the version that supposedly passed both the house and the senate. However, it has an additional section that the version allegedly was messaged to the house did not have, namely Sec. 18. (Senate Sec. 18. was effective dates, now Sec. 19.).

Sec. 15. modifies 13 V.S.A. 4010 to allow importation and manufacture of suppressors in accordance with federal law, and provides the exemption for use for us mere mundanes at "sport shooting ranges".

Sec. 18. then modifies the modification to 13 V.S.A. 4010 to REMOVE THE SPORT SHOOTING RANGE EXEMPTION. So you can buy and build a suppressor, but you can't use it.

The bill history (http://legislature.vermont.gov/bill/status/2016/H.5#detailed-status) doesn't show any committee of conference, so it sure looks like there is chicanery going on. The house and the senate passed different versions, but it looks like those administrating this fiasco either didn't notice or purposefully ignored it.

I've emailed Gun Owners of VT about this and I'll let you know what they say.

Also, stop using the anti's lanuage. "Universal Background Checks" really means "ban on private sales and mandatory registration via 4473's"

Back
Top Bottom