• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vermont Pistol Buying Requirements

If you don't live in VT (I see you located in CT), it takes having the handgun delivered/shipped to an FFL in CT for you to do the transfer. Likewise if you are the seller, you'd have to deliver/ship to a VT FFL for the buyer (VT Resident) to do the transfer.

Fed Law makes it a FELONY to transfer any handguns directly between two unlicensed parties that do not live in the same state. This MUST be complied with PRIOR to concerning yourself with State Laws (which also must be met).

Len, what about duel citizenship? If a person has a place in VT as well as another state and lives in VT for a amount of time. Can’t one claim citizenship in both states?

Len, what about duel citizenship? If a person has a place in VT as well as another state and lives in VT for a amount of time. Can’t one claim citizenship in both states?

You mean residency, not citizenship. The OP is presumably a citizen of the USA but a resident of CT.

Well "dueling" requires two people with guns! [laugh2] [Sorry, couldn't resist. I had a good English teacher in school.]

It's not citizenship, it is residency (you can be a legal resident without being a US Citizen and still own/buy guns). And yes one can legally claim 2 or more states as a resident under Federal Law. Proving that to a local dealer is an entirely different and frequently futile issue. Read the instructions on the BATFE 4473 form as it lays out what documentation is acceptable to the Feds and how to answer the questions. Some dealers may work with you while others won't no matter what. Good luck.

You mean residency, not citizenship. The OP is presumably a citizen of the USA but a resident of CT.
Yes, I should of stated resident. I have owned a 2nd home in Vermont for years and spend a considerable amount of time there each year, hence the question.

Well "dueling" requires two people with guns! [laugh2] [Sorry, couldn't resist. I had a good English teacher in school.]

It's not citizenship, it is residency (you can be a legal resident without being a US Citizen and still own/buy guns). And yes one can legally claim 2 or more states as a resident under Federal Law. Proving that to a local dealer is an entirely different and frequently futile issue. Read the instructions on the BATFE 4473 form as it lays out what documentation is acceptable to the Feds and how to answer the questions. Some dealers may work with you while others won't no matter what. Good luck.
Yes residency is what I should have stated. I’ve been on the ATF site as well. I guess I’ll just have to search out a dealer that understands the law.

Yes residency is what I should have stated. I’ve been on the ATF site as well. I guess I’ll just have to search out a dealer that understands the law.
No idea where you are in VT, but I'd suggest the following shops might work with you:

- Lonely Mountain Arms in Starksboro, Lonely Mountain Arms is owned by our own Dwarven1 (Ross), a good friend of mine.
- Parro's in Waterbury, http://www.parros.com/

Talk with them, you have nothing to lose.

NEK about 14 miles from the boarder
What is NEK? Do you mean the Canadian border or NH, NY or MA borders?

Reason I suggested Lonely Mountain is that Dwarven1 was a dual resident (VT & MA) for >1 year and held a LTC and FFL from VT during that time, so he'd be most familiar with what the requirements are and not freak out when someone approaches him with a similar situation.

I have a seasonal rental in a Vermont. One FFL only needs a utility bill in my name for a Vermont address. Another one wants to see a government ID with a Vermont address. Your results may vary.
I wonder if a NH utility bill and a C&R FFL with NH addresses would fly with some of the more reluctant NH dealers? I'll also have my NH Resident P/R License the next time I'm up there on a weekday as well.

I have seen several shops now making sure that the government issued ID that you provide when you buy a gun has a matching address to what you provide on the 4473. And the NICS check asks what type and state of issuance of ID is provided. Looks like the government is trying to make the dual residency harder to utilize.

I have seen several shops now making sure that the government issued ID that you provide when you buy a gun has a matching address to what you provide on the 4473. And the NICS check asks what type and state of issuance of ID is provided. Looks like the government is trying to make the dual residency harder to utilize.

Use a passport, no address on it.

It's not citizenship, it is residency

“14th Amendment" said:
SEC. I. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.

No argument here...............but the fact remains that many dealers are now ensuring that the address matches, AND when standing there waiting while they call NICS, it is easily overheard when the NICS operator asks for the state of issuance of the ID and what kind of ID it is. Also went to one shop where they use a computer based system for the 4473.....Amy System or something like that, and I entered my home address, to which I had just moved, and my drivers license did not yet match the move from one town to another, and they refused the sale as the addresses did not match. May or may not be an ATF requirement, but we all know dealers are able to interpret to their own comfort level.

Quasi necro thread revival- Some have attempted to obtain an VT non-driver's ID. Has anyone successfully done this? In reading the VT.gov website on this, it states one must surrender any out of state licenses upon receiving the VT ID.

Quasi necro thread revival- Some have attempted to obtain an VT non-driver's ID. Has anyone successfully done this? In reading the VT.gov website on this, it states one must surrender any out of state licenses upon receiving the VT ID.
That is a Fed requirement, not up to the state. You only get to keep one ID.

Found not to be true, it is up to the state.

Last edited:
This.
You will not get a VT non-driver's ID if you have an ID or driver's license from another state unless you turn those in.

The only exception is if you have a driver's license from another country and not a US state they will give you a VT ID. So if you are a dual Canadian-US citizen and only have a Canadian drivers license... I know of at least one person who fits this description, and another that is a Canadian citizen with a Green Card. Both have VT non-drivers ID and no issues buying firearms in VT. Interestingly, guy with the Green Card got the VT non-drivers ID mostly because he kept getting carded buying beer and they would not accept either his Ontario driver's license or green card as ID.

I don't believe this to be true Len...
I have a MA drivers Lic (with MA address) and a NY RMV issued state ID (with NY address).
The NY ID was required by the Sheriff's Dept. (the issuing authority) for my wife and I to get our NY pistol permits.

I have a MA drivers Lic (with MA address) and a NY RMV issued state ID (with NY address).
The NY ID was required by the Sheriff's Dept. (the issuing authority) for my wife and I to get our NY pistol permits.
Same here. Mass resident with MA drivers license. I already had my NY permit but for the on line renewal I had to get the NY non drivers ID.

The rest of this was explained to me by the NY DMV When I went to get a non drivers ID. There was no problem getting a non drivers ID With a MA drivers license. BUT since I once had a parking ticket in NY (overtime at a parking meter in 1993), my old NY Drivers license number in NY is NEVER obsoleted in the NY state system. But I couldn’t have both a drivers license number and a non drivers license number In the NY system. The solution they came up with is I have a non drivers ID with my old valid drivers license number on it. They suggested I not use it outside of NY. Luckily it didn’t screw up my MA drivers license renewal

A search for this led to a Fed law that does indeed allow for this providing the state allows it. So you are correct. I wasn't aware that any state allowed this, I'd only heard of states that disallowed the 2 IDs.

Same here. Mass resident with MA drivers license. I already had my NY permit but for the on line renewal I had to get the NY non drivers ID.

The rest of this was explained to me by the NY DMV When I went to get a non drivers ID. There was no problem getting a non drivers ID With a MA drivers license. BUT since I once had a parking ticket in NY (overtime at a parking meter in 1993), my old NY Drivers license number in NY is NEVER obsoleted in the NY state system. But I couldn’t have both a drivers license number and a non drivers license number In the NY system. The solution they came up with is I have a non drivers ID with my old valid drivers license number on it. They suggested I not use it outside of NY. Luckily it didn’t screw up my MA drivers license renewal
My impression of this requirement was that NY is trying to get pistol permit holders in as many data bases as they can so they can track them more easily.

I don’t think it is that nefarious. I think NY may have been trying to have your log on ID in various NY data bases all key off the drivers license number. I believe my lifetime hunting licenses for myself and family members are also keyed to old NY drivers license numbers do I need it to make changes or add privileges

Back
Top Bottom