Vermont-any laws against shooting on private property?

Vermont has laws? LOL just kidding. I would find it hard to believe that if I can shoot on my own property in MA (following all laws like 500' from neighbors, no shooting over the road, etc) then a Constitution state like Vermont would ban it. I however am not a lawyer so check it out first.

Vermont has neighbors?

I'm sure that there's some restriction against shooting near occupied buildings and state highways, but you'd be best off checking with your local PD or going through VT state laws.

Yes there are. Check the local town clerk in the town you are thinking about. The
restrictions are usually a certain defined distance from the town boundaries. Any
shooting on private property done without the permission of the owner is also
frowned on. Other than that, it's between you and your neighbors for the most
part unless you are in one of the metropolitan centers like Burlington, Barre, Montpelier,
Rutland, Bennington, etc. There the restrictions may be more significant. If it is
state property you may find carrying restrictions as well as shooting restrictions
(state parks, forests, etc.).

This post is VERY old, but for any future readers I'll still comment. You can shoot in an area that's 500 feet away from any house, road, barn, etc. But my house and road are well within 500 feet but haven't had any issues yet, no talking to with the police or anything yet. Just use your head, if it's within 500 feet but clearly very safe then I say go for it(don't get ridiculous though, can't be a couple steps off the road), if it's farther than 500 feet but isn't safe(such as shooting down a hill, aka bullet can travel a large distance) then I say don't do it. As long as it's safe I don't think they'll give you any problems, or they'll come talk to you and give you a warning and say you can't shoot there. Those are my thoughts on the matter and what I know about the shooting restrictions

This post is VERY old, but for any future readers I'll still comment. You can shoot in an area that's 500 feet away from any house, road, barn, etc. But my house and road are well within 500 feet but haven't had any issues yet, no talking to with the police or anything yet. Just use your head, if it's within 500 feet but clearly very safe then I say go for it(don't get ridiculous though, can't be a couple steps off the road), if it's farther than 500 feet but isn't safe(such as shooting down a hill, aka bullet can travel a large distance) then I say don't do it. As long as it's safe I don't think they'll give you any problems, or they'll come talk to you and give you a warning and say you can't shoot there. Those are my thoughts on the matter and what I know about the shooting restrictions

Did you go searching for a very old thread to resurrect, because you wanted to post your opinion? Are your thoughts about the law so important that I need to know them. I have seen some pretty epic first posts before, but this is what you felt compelled to weigh in on?

ETA: There are no facts in this post, people should do more research before they start blasting away in VT.

On second thought, is this Daniel Banyai?

Dude is getting some serious fine money added up

Slate ridge is a special situation, where their paramilitary membership seems to be taking a bullying and intimidation approach to anyone who opposes them, which of course just draws a larger target on their back. They've created their own mess.

Judging by the multiple, continuous firing going on up and down my road in Weston every weekend, I'd say it's not a problem, at least in my town. Most towns up here don't have their own PD, and rely on the State Police or Sherriff's office for LE action.

Check w/your town clerk, or review the bylaws online, if available.

Vermont has laws? LOL just kidding. I would find it hard to believe that if I can shoot on my own property in MA (following all laws like 500' from neighbors, no shooting over the road, etc) then a Constitution state like Vermont would ban it. I however am not a lawyer so check it out first.
That constitution state has unconstitutionally banned the use of many different types of commonly owned arms.

Back
Top Bottom