1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. NES Life memberships are now available, click here for details.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Verizon is of the devil

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GomerPile, Oct 11, 2018.

1. JJ4

JJ4 NES Member

Whatever "system" Verizon uses to manage accounts and installations is totally broken.

I bought the first house in a new development 2 years ago. VZ scheduled FiOS install the week of my closing. Nobody shows up, nobody calls. We call and they apologize and reschedule. Same thing - no show no call. Reschedule again - this time an automated call that the appointment has been cancelled. WTF? The 2016 strike is going on so they schedule me for 4 weeks out at this point... It went back and forth like this for a few weeks before they finally figured out that (1) the wires weren't pulled up the conduit in the street yet, and (2) they didn't even have an easement from the developer to do so. Ok, so finally we get the developer and VZ to record the needed easement. Now they can't pull the wires because they need the developer to install the hand-hole boxes in the ground first. In the end we finally had the cell phone number of some manager who actually knew what he was doing. Total wait time was approximately 6 months before the install happened.

TLDR: Their system lets them schedule customer installs when there aren't even wires pulled up the street.

2. The5thDentist

The5thDentist NES Life Member NES Member

"Bula Vinaka, Beachside"???????? All this time I thought it was "Yaka maka beetsai"

TyP5EK9.gif

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    snax likes this.
  3. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Manipulatory, M1911 and The5thDentist like this.
  4. The5thDentist

The5thDentist NES Life Member NES Member

Well, part of it is the sweet schedule their linemen negotiated for themselves. I drive by the Dracut depot often. They arrive to work at 7. The parade of trucks begins to slowly roll out at 8. They stop and have breakfast at Heav'nly Donut, Laudi's, or M.L. Shaw's, then drive to whatever assignment they have that day, and then they're headed back to the depot by 2:30 for a 3pm quittin' time. Great gig if you can get it.

Manipulatory and AHM like this.
  5. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

Well, not all of us can get FIOS and there is the whole Comcrap thing that some of us were willing to avoid. I ultimately dropped my DSL because VZ capped my speed. I was paying for a whopping 1.5Mbps. This all worked for 10 plus years. All of the sudden, my port started "flapping". Replaced the modem...no joy. Replaced the inside line...no joy. So, the last option was they capped be at 768Kbps and still charged me the 1.5Mbps price. That was the final straw.

6. AHM

AHM NES Member

Come on - I saw that one coming after your third sentence.
    (Well, actually I expected you to lose not just DSL but dial tone
    about 20 minutes after you got done
    "correcting" the phone company service rep).

When we moved in to our ~40 house development in 1986,
    our house had two landlines.
    Which was good - we used one for voice and one for data.

Except that periodically we couldn't dial up the Intarwebs
    because the data line would have howls of static on it.

We'd bitch, the phone guy would come out, shake his head,
    fuss with the pedestal on the lawn,
    drive down the street and fuss with the wiring box on the side of the road,
    and all would be good.

For a few more months.

I figured out what the problem was:

Our block of new houses had maxed out the number of twisted pairs run down the access street,
    and some of them were noisy (leak into the cable, bad splice in a manhole, whatever).

The phone guys would just keep moving the bad lines from one house to the next.

We use ComCast Triple Play now, so it's no longer a problem for us.

You're getting crap DSL speeds,
    because you got the red-headed stepchild twisted pair.

If the entire distance is copper wire,
    you're eventually gonna let Zeus into your house -
    and you're not gonna like the result.

We used to vacation at a sister-in-law's Jersey Shore bungalow for a week or two starting at Labor Day. I'd bike all over the barrier beach and adjacent mainland. I discovered that for hours before and after lunch, Every Freaking Strip Mall And County Park had at least one utility truck cooping in the shade, with the driver either sleeping or doing a crossword puzzle.

Manipulatory likes this.
  7. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Well for that it's free, but it still is on the edge of being wonky in a lot of places/installs. Still way better than dialup days...

There's no way in hell I would take DSL over comshit. I had Verizon business grade DSL for many years and it usually worked okay (I actually did get the advertised 1.5M/384 rate) but frankly it was a pain in the ass compared to any of the comshit circuits I've ever dealt with. Especially in terms of uptime... every now and then VZ would have a big outage or a DSLAM that shit itself, etc. This was annoying because those conditions rarely if ever self corrected.

-Mike

8. snax

snax NES Member

I thought it was Muckla Luckla Pizza

I think the Beachside is actually wrong.
    From the internets:
    One of the most famous expressions in Fiji is “Bula” (pronounced boolah). It is the Fijian word for “hello”. “Ni sa bula vinaka” is the full correct greeting- meaning “a warm hello,” but 'bula' is more commonly used, especially for visitors to Fiji as it is quick and easy to learn and understand.

I think the guy may be actually saying "Bula Vinaka Ni Sa"

The5thDentist likes this.
  9. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias

1. Throw your phone line away. Home phones are useless.

2. Dont ever call support, always call the number for sales, you get connected a lot faster and ask to be transferred to a human.

3. Try switching to RCN if it exists over there. It was the best company I ever worked with. Internet installed the next day. Canceling was easy. Getting to a human took a full 1minute.

4. Next time, let them come over to your house and then throw them out.

The5thDentist likes this.
  10. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias

Lol...Verizon and Comcast own Massachusetts. You will get nowhere with her.

11. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

It is Bula Vinaka, Beachside, g*dammit. [rofl] The guy is standing on a beach!!! [rofl] It only took me 30 something years to figure out what he was saying, don't ruin it again!

AT&T says YOU WILL accept this interpretation. jk... [rofl]

-Mike

snax, The5thDentist and JJ4 like this.
  12. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

All good advice, but you really need to drive through his town. Nothing is there. It is beautiful wilderness and I otherwise would not mind living there, but that is it. No RCN. No Comcast. No FIOS. No cell towers. No hope of replacing land-line phone with cell phone or VOIP phone. Etc.

Broccoli Iglesias likes this.
  13. GomerPile

GomerPile NES Member

Sad part is that 80% of the population is within 3 miles of areas where there is Fios, Comcast, and decent cell service. South Royalston is a stones throw from Comcast service.

14. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

Our lack of broadband service in rural areas is a major issue. It really holds back development of those areas.

15. GomerPile

GomerPile NES Member

*** Final update ***

I have internet again the only issue is that its now 1/3 the speed it was last Sunday when it went out! I have tried another call to Verizon to bitch but even after 45 minuted on hold they wont pick up.

I have made a decision to bring in my own broadband.....I will be creating another post in the Ham radio section to talk about it. Think it might be fun...

AHM likes this.
  16. AHM

AHM NES Member

You Are Wasting Your Time.

See above post about them having restored you to a different circuit with noise problems.

Once upon a time we had interference on a few basic cable channels.
    If DSL field service is anything like ComCast field service,
    if you stamp your little foot hard enough,
    The Phone Company will send out a clueful tech who carries
    some magical service monitor (spectrum analyzer, whatever) in the truck
    that will measure noise, etc.

Hooks it up to the wires, flips the switch, hits some buttons,
    twists some knobs, starts scowling, talks to someone back at the home office,
    scowls some more, and pronounces that some wire or amp or whatever
    is going bad, and he's going to drive down the road and swap something.

Half an hour later, he re-checks with the monitor,
    asks you to bring up your speed meter web site while he's boxing his tools,
    and you realize it's working better than ever.

17. Obie1

Obie1 NES Member

Sounds like you live in my town. Several years ago we all paid $50 to guarantee that we would subscribe to broadband when it became available. Since then, there have been hundreds of meetings, newsletters, politician promises, and work parties to measure the distances from pole to pole. After about 5 years, nothing has happened. Pretty sure I'll die before it does.

18. dingbat

dingbat NES Member

The only way to get anywhere with Verizon is to cancel your service.

When they transfer you to the person who cancels service you get an English speaking, moderately intelligent, stateside person who can actually get things done and is employed to keep you from canceling. They will ask what they can do to keep you as a customer. Tell them exactly what you want to have happen and when it has to happen by. I have always gotten good results this way.

AHM likes this.
  19. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

You think Verizon is bad, try Comcast on for size.

M1911 likes this.
  20. GomerPile

GomerPile NES Member

Same thing in Royalston. When the state dropped the fiber to the town hall (South Royalston) it sat unused for a year. I asked why and they told me you had to be an "ISP" to connect to it :). I told them I could have a test AP up and running on a Sat morning if they would spend a couple hundred bucks for a router and a radio. They laughed me off...a year later an "ISP" came along and did just that. Eventually they built out something a bit better with a couple AP's.

21. GomerPile

GomerPile NES Member

*** One more update ***

In case anyone else has to deal with Verizon this might be useful. As I mentioned earlier my service is 1/3rd the speed of what it was before my outage.

I have made 3 (yes 3) phone calls to try and resolve this:

1) Part of the troubleshooting process involved me changing the network name (wireless SSID name). I asked how that would speed up my line and the person had no idea. I told her she this was complete giberish and I wanted a supervisor...she refused!

2) Next day I got someone much more professional. I was informed that there was some kind of "order" on my line and it had to be removed before they could do anything. Once removed my internet should magically get faster...and unicorns and snow ponies...o boy!

3) Last night (still slow) again I get someone that seemed reasonably competent. He tried to set the speed of my line but was unable to. He has issued a ticked to have my line switched to a different circuit that supports 3.3mbps, I am connected to a 1.7mbps circuit....of course I pay for the 3mbps circuit.

Near as I can tell, I had an outage, they connected my dsl to a circuit that is slower than the one I had. Its only taken 9 phone calls to get this point..."can you hear me now" makes a lot more sense to me for some reason.

AHM likes this.
  22. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

You may have found a company worse than Comcast!!!

AHM likes this.
  23. AHM

AHM NES Member

Note that his tale is remarkably similar to my "new hotness/old and rusted" NYNEX landline story,
    earlier in this thread.

Except that he may actually be dealing with high-quality lines of various bandwidths.
    (I wonder if he's paying for two twisted pairs that are run in magical parallel by the DSL modem).

24. mecheenop

mecheenop

Didn’t read any of it... but good news, I scrolled to the bottom post anyway

25. GomerPile

GomerPile NES Member

Finally DSL has been fixed...that was easy.

26. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

Verizon is screwy, A friend in Framingham has Verizon and within 60 hours she had 6 visits from the cops, they kept getting 911 calls from her number. How many of us would enjoy the cops pounding on your door at 2am?

27. Manipulatory

Manipulatory

Sounds like phone number spoofing. I'd be willing to bet she pissed someone off.