• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Verify Distinguised Shooter

jimjohn

Banned
Hi, I am new here, but I am hoping somebody here can help me. I met/know somebody who claims they are a distinguished marksman in the USMC. But, I looked them up on a website that lists the distinguished marksman in all service branches and he is not there, Is there any way to verify this person? Is there any way to become distinguished other then through a service branch? Can you start the process in the military and then finish as a civilian? I want to take some lessons from him, but I am skeptical that he is what he is. thank you in advance.

Hi, I am new here, but I am hoping somebody here can help me. I met/know somebody who claims they are a distinguished marksman in the USMC. But, I looked them up on a website that lists the distinguished marksman in all service branches and he is not there, Is there any way to verify this person? Is there any way to become distinguished other then through a service branch? Can you start the process in the military and then finish as a civilian? I want to take some lessons from him, but I am skeptical that he is what he is. thank you in advance.

PM me his name.

There are number of different types of "distinquished" The service branches have badges they hand out which are " expert" bardges some like to call distinquished. But has been said a true distinquished shooter gets a badge, number and a certificate from the CMP or Civilian Marksmanship Program which is a US funded organization. They have a list of all shooters by many searches, name, state,year, weapon type. It takes a while to get distinquished and is a great source of pride in the service. The badge can be worn on the uniform. The CMP also runs the "Presidents 100" which gives a badge that also can be worn on the dress uniform.

That is exactly where I looked and he isn't listed. Is there any other way? Could he have started in the USMC and not got enough points or wins, but finished it as a civilian?

Yes but he would be listed on that site.

The CMP "Roster" has had errors. First they have listed the same person "twice" in the roster before and they have not listed some Distinguished shooters in the past. Thats why, they (CMP) ask for record updates and or corrections. Lastly, there may be a delay in getting those shooters posted on the Roster, due to admin delays, for recent awarded shooters. Please be advised that the EIC points are often not listed on the CMP site, depending on source and date.

As to OP's question, there are 2 ways to go Distinguished - Military and Civilian. There is sometimes confusion over the source of award. For example, I know of a shooter/trainer, that got Distinguished Rifle as a civilian ( never did military), but shrouds the award as..... by the US Army ( in his bio). If you're a civilian...you get the CMP Award simply. The Badges are different.

Last edited:
Slightly Off topic, but I received a US Army EIC Badge - Pistol , before going Distinguished and I opened the Manilla padded envelope to discover a copy of orders and the US Army EIC Badge.....with the US ARMY imprint UPSIDE DOWN. I had to request a proper replacement and I kept the ERROR Medal ----Can You Say Collector's Item!

So, the story remains that mistakes happen and certainly the records are not 100%

jimjohn:

You say that you're "New here".....do you mean the Forun, or the world of shooting?

If the latter, you may find that occasionally some shooters embelish things a tad.

For instance, I was once told by someone that they were "A Head Shooter for the NRA" - Umm....said I.....what's that mean? "It means that I can shoot a head-sized target at 1000 (yes, one thousand) yards, offhand." [shocked]

I mentioned that there were damn few rifles that could hold an 8-inch group at 1000 yards from a mechanical rest; that offhand it would not be very likely even if there were a rifle that accurate; and that being a Life Member, I'd never heard of that Award/classification.....

At which point, he changed the subject.

For instance, I was once told by someone that they were "A Head Shooter for the NRA" - Umm....said I.....what's that mean? "It means that I can shoot a head-sized target at 1000 (yes, one thousand) yards, offhand." [shocked]

[rofl]

I love these stories. Right up there with space shuttle door gunners.

[rofl]

I love these stories. Right up there with space shuttle door gunners.

Sooooo, you're saying that you have doubts about my employment with NASA, in defense of the space shuttle? I'll bet you've never even handled a mini-gun in zero gravity, Hotshot!

[smile]

To the OP: PM the guys full name to Derek and he'll get you answer.

I am not a Marine, but if you shoot top of your basic training class in the Marines, do you not earn a distinguished honor grad or something for that training cycle and get asked to attend scout sniper school? Could this be what he meant?

I am not a Marine, but if you shoot top of your basic training class in the Marines, do you not earn a distinguished honor grad or something for that training cycle and get asked to attend scout sniper school? Could this be what he meant?
You get a little certificate that says you were the platoon's top shooter and your score is entered in to your service record book.

As some have said, there are several Distinguished versions, Rifle, Pistol,(both civilian and military) NRA Pistol, Small Bore, International...and I have seen a Combat Distinguished for the Army too.
NRA has a Distinguished Expert award...this is primarily for Juniors.

But I love the door gunner on the space shuttle types...one time I was listening (actually overhearing) a guy say how he could shoot nickle size 5 shot groups off hand at 200yds with his FN FAL...I had to fight back the urge to say WTF.

I hit the bullseye at a thousand yards offhand once...

Of course I also hit the target next to mine and many many times I hit the berm and beyond

There are VERY few Marines who go distinguished. I didn't even know it existed until I saw Derek's avatar pic and asked him about it. In five years of active duty I never saw a single one. I thought I was hot shit with my expert badge. [grin]

Now I'm working on my distinguished badge as a civilian. Someday it will be mine.

On a side note, if he's an active competitor in this area (distinguished or not) there are a few of us who would definitely know him.

Last edited:
To the OP:

Why does it matter?

I'm not an elite shooter, as those that have seen me on the Trap range can attest.....but if you hold yourself out as an [insert qualification here] and can't prove it....

Fishermen lie about the one that got away...golfers about the 35 foot putt in the hurricane; why should a shooter be different?

My kid's entitiled to a crapload of Trap patches, Qualification patches, etc.....but he won't wear anything that he's not earned. Of course, those that have seen him shoot can attest to that.

If someone can hold nickel-sized groups, they should be happy to do it on request.... If they can't....what are you going to do about it?

I'd just go to the matches. You can sign up for a clinic and meet people. Most HP shooters don't charge for advice and if you ask will likely invite you along if they are going to a practice day at the range. It's always nice to have a buddy along to pull at 600.

B

To the OP:

Why does it matter?

I'm not an elite shooter, as those that have seen me on the Trap range can attest.....but if you hold yourself out as an [insert qualification here] and can't prove it....

Fishermen lie about the one that got away...golfers about the 35 foot putt in the hurricane; why should a shooter be different?

My kid's entitiled to a crapload of Trap patches, Qualification patches, etc.....but he won't wear anything that he's not earned. Of course, those that have seen him shoot can attest to that.

If someone can hold nickel-sized groups, they should be happy to do it on request.... If they can't....what are you going to do about it?
It does matter, to those who have earned the award.

You do know that NCAA teams shoot smallbore and air rifles? On the ghey rifle continuum, they are right next to musicals and interior decorators.

B

It does matter, to those who have earned the award.

Oh, I agree that it does matter - I wear my 50 straight proudly, though I'm well behind many others in the "long run" sweepstakes.

My point was .... if some d-bag wants to say he's a [insert award here] holder, and he's not....what is one to do? It's a "stolen valor" thing, and the liar is without honor. But ....what are you gonna do, as a practical matter?

My "why does it matter" was a practical, not a philosophical, question - if someone claims an award that they're not entitled to, do you feel that it impacts you, if you have reached that level of accomplishment? If someone lies in this context, do you have any practical recourse?

I actually kind of ran into this a few years ago - I had a 50 straight patch that I earned 20+ years ago....and one of the younger members at the range said, "You did that?" I'd been out of the game for a while, and was not at my peak. Now, there were no formal records for this, as it was not Registered targets, but it was mine. I said, "Yes."

Since then, I've done it several times (but not the @#$%^ 75!!!!!), but until they saw it with their own eyes, they had to trust me.

Derek - I know that it's once a Marine, always a marine....but were a Marine to be falsely claiming a shooting award, what could be done? I mean aside from some "company street justice"?

what could be done?

So, you're a philosopher....

No offense, but it isn't the same as some "patch". Not even close.

And it does matter.

He won't get a job.

Plain and simple

There are tangible repercussions beyond the loss of bragging rights.

Plus, if he's lucky I won't punch him in the throat - those are the practical repercussions.

And that is only because he did compete, just not to the level he talks about.

Back
Top Bottom