• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Verification Code via App??

Golddiggie

NES Member
Looking for what app (or apps) are good to use for the two factor authentication specifically for Android (8.1) powered phones.

I've been setting this up for as many sites as possible lately, so I figured I might as well do it for NES too. Everything else has just sent me a text with a code to enter. So I'm wondering why that's not an option here.

I don’t allow SMS (text) codes because that method is incredibly easy to hack, and there are increased costs from our side. Honestly, more of the former than the latter, though. Cell phone spoofing has become almost trivially easy and there have been a number of high profile data breaches over the last few years because of people with SMS 2FA.

Google Authenticator is the app you should be using for this site.

I have reset my password and it has been accepted. However, the requested step of two step verification is where I had trouble last time. It asks for a code generated from an app presumably on my phone. I don't recall how I got codes last time but when I tried to use them I was told they were in the wrong format and there are no instructions available to read to understand what I was doing wrong.
The research/instructions found online don't match my phone.
Please add a sticky note with full instructions for phones (mine is Android) computers and tablets and include.
At this point I am unable to finish my login to NES and have no clue how to setup all this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom