Vent re: transfer of out of state ancient revolver not on "the list".

Lol ... shouldn't be. Turning a revolver into a frame requires removal of the barrel, something most FFL will not do.
Agreed. And it requires a 07 ffl and it requires a second dealer to send the frame to.

You have an object that has a barrel, a hammer, and a trigger. Is it a frame? I say no and believe the wrong DA will make the case it is not. Just the cylinder is not enough. You need to remove more parts…

I bought a revolver online from an out of state dealer off gunbroker and my LGS won't accept it because it is not on "the list" and wasn't in the state as of 1998. The revolver was made no later than 1936 (best I can tell), but could also be 100 years old (or a little more). Of course, this same LGS took a transfer of another very similar revolver (that was of comparable age) not two months ago!

Perhaps with the change in administration in Massachusetts they are just being more cautious, but I suspect it is simply different employees there view things differently.

Sigh.
Haven’t read any other posts so…

Did you not talk to your dealer beforehand confirm if they’ll transfer it? No dealer wants surprises lol

Did you not talk to your dealer beforehand confirm if they’ll transfer it? No dealer wants surprises lol
As I mentioned, I had done numerous transfers with this LGS, including an analagous revolver two months earlier, that I hadn't run by them either. Yet they accepted that one.
I thought I had a good feel for this LGS. Have bought at least four pistols directly from their inventory, lots of other stuff, had maybe 6 firearms (that they don't carry) transferred to them.

I have one dealer that I call him to pretend to be "nice" and give him a heads up, but really I call him to make sure he is still alive and will be able to receive the gun.

The guy is a great guy, but very grumpy, he always tells me GB sends him an Email to not call him. [rofl]

The guy is awesome. But I am afraid to tell him why I call him before buying on GB.

Last edited:
Have someone you know with a C&R get the revolver and hold it until your C&R comes through.

And no it's not a straw purchase because there is no 4473 involved.

Please buy one. I have a few muskets and can borrow my dad's Blunderbuss. Someone get some rum and we have a party.
In.

Johnny Depp Drinking GIF

Find a new ffl or get C&R

I’m pretty sure some of my guns are hitting the age of being C&R. That aren’t already.
I’m not gonna do the math but soon all transferable, machine guns will be c&r that would make it convenient.

As far as your revolver that’s stupid.. Does it even have a serial number?

Would have been very convenient to get them that way originally

Find a new ffl or get C&R

I’m pretty sure some of my guns are hitting the age of being C&R. That aren’t already.
I’m not gonna do the math but soon all transferable, machine guns will be c&r that would make it convenient.

As far as your revolver that’s stupid.. Does it even have a serial number?

Would have been very convenient to get them that way originally
I didn't see a serial number in the photos on gubnbroker, and I looked.

Agreed. And it requires a 07 ffl and it requires a second dealer to send the frame to.

You have an object that has a barrel, a hammer, and a trigger. Is it a frame? I say no and believe the wrong DA will make the case it is not. Just the cylinder is not enough. You need to remove more parts…
Why I can't have my own Chiappa Charging Rhino. :(

U.S. Revolver is the name. Manufactured by Iver & Jihnson, though, I believe.

I haven't really looked into. Read a little about it couple weeks ago on here, and Google today. Something to think about. Thanks. I will look into more.

Iver Johnson??? So it WAS in mASS prior to 1998. It was MADE HERE!

Until the legislature declares FFL03s to require home inspections by MSP or some other bullshit 'because hoarding'.

No. Can't be. I was told here just a few days ago that CA and NY and NJ are far worse than mASS because those states keep making stricter gun laws and we haven't changed them since 98. It's something about how they can't change the gun laws here. [rofl]

I should be able to find another. I know one who Def would, but he's an hour away. More time to look tomorrow. If anyone knows one near the South Shore who would, let me know.

Call (Ed) Brophy's Fine firearms in Middleboro 833-276-7497, or Judy at Plymoth Bay Outfitters in Plymouth (508) 747-6338. Or you could call any of the FFLs at the "Mini Mill" at 992 Bedford St (Rt 28) in Bridgewater (a few of the post in the WTS Classified forums here). Whichever is the more convenient location and ask them...be specific about the "pre ban" status.

They all follow the laws but Plymoth Bay Outfitters is likely to be the most "letter of the law", but they know their shit.

Have someone you know with a C&R get the revolver and hold it until your C&R comes through.

And no it's not a straw purchase because there is no 4473 involved.
Uhhh....

A straw purchase doesn't hinge on a 4473, and receiving an interstate transfer that isn't for your own collection (on behalf of someone else) is a big no-no for C&Rs.

Uhhh....

A straw purchase doesn't hinge on a 4473, and receiving an interstate transfer that isn't for your own collection (on behalf of someone else) is a big no-no for C&Rs.
I, like everyone else has always heard that a straw purchase was unlawful. But that is always in reference to lying on the 4473 which is where the 5 years 5K$ comes from. I haven't been able to find any reference to the general concept of a straw purchase unless you include the intent to sell/give the gun to someone who is PP, which is not a factor in this case.

And you are in fact receiving it into your collection. It's just that you form the intent to transfer it to another C&R before receiving it. And since none of these transfers involve a 4473, you can't be charged with lieing on a Fed document. And since you are not transferring to a PP, any of those laws don't apply.

So what actual law would apply?

one of many articles on straw purchases
Buying and Selling a Firearm: Straw Purchases

ETA: OK I found the laws, and not only is it allowed, the laws have specific exceptions for collector to collector transfers. So if you follow these they can only charge you with lieing on the 4473, and there is no 4473 between C&R
18 U.S. Code § 932 - Straw purchasing of firearms
18 U.S. Code § 922 - Unlawful acts

Last edited:
I bought a revolver online from an out of state dealer off gunbroker and my LGS won't accept it because it is not on "the list" and wasn't in the state as of 1998. The revolver was made no later than 1936 (best I can tell), but could also be 100 years old (or a little more). Of course, this same LGS took a transfer of another very similar revolver (that was of comparable age) not two months ago!

Perhaps with the change in administration in Massachusetts they are just being more cautious, but I suspect it is simply different employees there view things differently.

Sigh.
To close the loop on this...Despite me having an FFL (the second I tried) who would receive the revolver, the seller never even reached out to the second FFL, and just emailed me that they are cancelling the sale because "the State (sic) of Massachusetts will not allow the transfer of this specific model and brand of firearm." I am not out any money, and I dont even blame the seller. Why go thru this hassle for a coupla hundred bucks? The first FFL, though...Not gonna out them as they had previously been very accommodating. Stupid "State".

To close the loop on this...Despite me having an FFL (the second I tried) who would receive the revolver, the seller never even reached out to the second FFL, and just emailed me that they are cancelling the sale because "the State (sic) of Massachusetts will not allow the transfer of this specific model and brand of firearm." I am not out any money, and I don't even blame the seller. Why go thru this hassle for a coupla hundred bucks? The first FFL, though...Not gonna out them as they had previously been very accommodating. Stupid "State".
Been there, done that. Lots of foreign FFLs are scared shitless of anything involving Ma.. Ma.. Ma.. Massachusetts. :mad:

Sigh.
Search around for another FFL. Others will not be so uptight.

Back
Top Bottom