Vent re: transfer of out of state ancient revolver not on "the list".

I bought a revolver online from an out of state dealer off gunbroker and my LGS won't accept it because it is not on "the list" and wasn't in the state as of 1998. The revolver was made no later than 1936 (best I can tell), but could also be 100 years old (or a little more). Of course, this same LGS took a transfer of another very similar revolver (that was of comparable age) not two months ago!

Perhaps with the change in administration in Massachusetts they are just being more cautious, but I suspect it is simply different employees there view things differently.

Sigh.

Obtain a C&R license. The changes to state law in 2014 exempt transfers to you from dealers of C&R items from the list and you could accept transfers directly from out of state as long as they are logged in your bound book and EFA-10'd to the state (don't list the seller in that case, just register the sale).

What company made the revolver? Have you looked into getting a C&R?
U.S. Revolver is the name. Manufactured by Iver & Jihnson, though, I believe.

I haven't really looked into. Read a little about it couple weeks ago on here, and Google today. Something to think about. Thanks. I will look into more.

C&R is the way to go. It's easy, cheap and every shooter should have one but it will take some time. Will the seller hang onto the revolver until you get it?

I should be able to find another. I know one who Def would, but he's an hour away. More time to look tomorrow. If anyone knows one near the South Shore who would, let me know.

your problem is it PROBABLY has to go back to the guy you bought it from, because the douche FFL in MA won't accept it to transfer it for you is not going to be willing to take it in on his bound book and then ship it to another FFL without a ton of $$$ if at all

ALWAYS check with the local FFL to make sure they will accept and transfer a gun before buying it elsewhere and shipping it

your problem is it PROBABLY has to go back to the guy you bought it from, because the douche FFL in MA won't accept it to transfer it for you is not going to be willing to take it in on his bound book and then ship it to another FFL without a ton of $$$ if at all

ALWAYS check with the local FFL to make sure they will accept and transfer a gun before buying it elsewhere and shipping it
It didn't get shipped. The seller reached out to the FFL first. I haven't even paid for it yet. I used to reach out to that FFL before I bought something, but I stopped doing that a while back for similar transactions to previous ones, like this one, and have not had issues.

Until the legislature declares FFL03s to require home inspections by MSP or some other bullshit 'because hoarding'.
Valid point! In the new, exciting Age of Maura & Andrea, "Gun Collectors" are to be redefined as "Gun Hoarders" and God only knows how Andrea plans to address that "Gun Hoarding" problem. Lifetime limits on gun ownership? Lifetime limits on ammo purchases? Both are on her website and lots more.

But wait! Andrea is planning on instituting home inspections of "Gun Hoarders" by local police chiefs anyway whether or not you are an 03 "Gun Hoarder." o_O

So will an 03 help you or hurt you in the all-new Massachusetts? I guess we are soon going to find out. :rolleyes:

This happened to me years ago with a Webley Mk VI. Collector's in Stoneham flatly refused to accept it because of "the list."

I asked the seller to wait until my C&R came in, which he was gracious enough to do. I tipped him $50 for his trouble, even though it only took a couple weeks.

Get a C&R.

Back
Top Bottom