• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Venison Bologna

I have become pretty good friends with the guy that lives across the street from me and he has been feeding my family with a whole lot of venison. He gave me about 50lbs of meat this season.
He recently gave me a roll of venison bologna. I have never even heard of it before now. And to be honest I don't like bologna. I always thought it was shit meat. I don't think I've had it in 25 years.
This meat that he gave me is some of the best tasting cold cut I have ever had. He said he makes it in 25 lb batches. He also recommended I fry some up and serve it over eggs. He wasn't wrong.

He uses Con Yeager Spice Co . They are out of PA. Thats where he is from. Is this a PA specific thing? Are any of you guys making bologna?
20210216_105500.jpg

That looks good. Would definitely fry it up with some eggs. But I think bologna gets a bad wrap because of Oscar Mayer. Legit Italian mortadella is pretty dang good. I've also had some good German bologna. In my mind, it's like the difference between an Applebee's steak and a Ruth Chris steak. They're both technically steak, but there's no way you'd confuse the two.

Possible to get recipe? Little Jack still has frozen venison from 2020 and has a grinder. Jack.

Looks like summer sausage to me. Summer sausage is fermented.....did he mention if he used yeast?
I didn't ask, but he just mentioned the spice company to me. He is recovering from major surgery, when he is back to full health, I was going to ask to see the full process.

Their website has pretty detailed instructions Here on how to make it.

Looks more like lebanon bologna (i think that is a PA thing), rather than the oscar meyer-style bologna. It also looks quite tasty.

Cant say ive ever made any.

My old man is from PA they always had Lebanon bologna which has a very different taste then Oscar Meyer stuff much better imho
I think you are both correct with the Lebanon bologna.
My only experience was with Oscar Meyer, which is terrible IMO

I have become pretty good friends with the guy that lives across the street from me and he has been feeding my family with a whole lot of venison. He gave me about 50lbs of meat this season.
He recently gave me a roll of venison bologna. I have never even heard of it before now. And to be honest I don't like bologna. I always thought it was shit meat. I don't think I've had it in 25 years.
This meat that he gave me is some of the best tasting cold cut I have ever had. He said he makes it in 25 lb batches. He also recommended I fry some up and serve it over eggs. He wasn't wrong.

He uses Con Yeager Spice Co . They are out of PA. Thats where he is from. Is this a PA specific thing? Are any of you guys making bologna?
View attachment 451026

Yum .

Great neighbors like that are hard to come by.

Bob

Never bologna I may have to look into that. I love transforming venison into Good eats. Don't get me wrong I like a good venison steak with some salt and pepper. But I like preparing venison in ways that if someone. Wasn't told it was venison they wouldn't know. I did make venison pastrami for the first time this year. It came out pretty damn good. KIMG0833_01_BURST1000833_COVER.JPG Sounds like you're in a pretty good place with some good neighbors.

Attachments

• KIMG0836.JPG
    KIMG0836.JPG
    167.2 KB · Views: 2
Looks more like lebanon bologna (i think that is a PA thing), rather than the oscar meyer-style bologna. It also looks quite tasty.

Cant say ive ever made any.

Market Basket carried Lebanon balogna...good stuff...but not in stock recently due to COVID.

I ordered a couple different kits and spice packages last night. I thought it was pretty reasonably priced for what you get. If you spend $60 you get free shipping.

I made a batch for myself it came out great. I gave a stick to each of my hunting buddy's they love it as well.
It's very similar to Polish kielbasa with a little heat. I'm glad you started this thread. I would have never heard about it.
KIMG0941.JPG

Back
Top Bottom