• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vehicle Undercoating

Tried the NH Oil Undercoating …

Due to the fact that I have a beautiful, but VERY expensive ‘paver’ driveway, I was told not to park on it for 2-weeks. Now TWO months later … it will still drip if I leave it out on the pavers, even for a few hours.

It might be a good product, but never again for me!

Which product? They have more than one treatment.

The flagship product that they only use on new vehicles is called "boss wax" - they don't tell you much about it, but reportedly isn't a drippy mess and cures to some degree.

Which product? They have more than one treatment.

The flagship product that they only use on new vehicles is called "boss wax" - they don't tell you much about it, but reportedly isn't a drippy mess and cures to some degree.
THANKS for that info! Well, it is newer, but wasn’t a new truck, so I guess THAT wasn’t an option, lol.

Toyota did the CRC Treatment the prior year, but I don’t trust them, especially since they 1st said the Gen3s were exempt from frame issues, but then contacted me (from my VIN) later and offered a ‘free’ 2-3 day treatment - cleaning, prep & wash, followed by dry & treat. At least I got a free rental car out of them.

I had the black ‘oil’ applied to the frame and they treated the tranny & other 4WD parts with the clear version. My boat goes down the side driveway on WED, where I had been parking to avoid ‘drips’ on the pavers. Looks like I’ll be putting an old canvas tarp down for a while …

Thankfully a spray with Simple Green, followed by Joy dishwashing fluid dripped on top and rubbed in, removes the oil stains. Just a pain in the arse …

THANKS for that info! Well, it is newer, but wasn’t a new truck, so I guess THAT wasn’t an option, lol.

Toyota did the CRC Treatment the prior year, but I don’t trust them, especially since they 1st said the Gen3s were exempt from frame issues, but then contacted me (from my VIN) later and offered a ‘free’ 2-3 day treatment - cleaning, prep & wash, followed by dry & treat. At least I got a free rental car out of them.

I had the black ‘oil’ applied to the frame and they treated the tranny & other 4WD parts with the clear version. My boat goes down the side driveway on WED, where I had been parking to avoid ‘drips’ on the pavers. Looks like I’ll be putting an old canvas tarp down for a while …

Thankfully a spray with Simple Green, followed by Joy dishwashing fluid dripped on top and rubbed in, removes the oil stains. Just a pain in the arse …

Just be sure that canvas doesn't roll up into the wheels. I'd probably go for panels, 1/8 or 3/16 hardboard maybe (it's cheap) - not sure if it'd warp but potentially not laying flat.

The boss wax is reportedly a $1250 treatment online, without much description of what it is or how they do it, and the closest place applying it was a town I'd never heard of, and they don't return your calls anyway :) - so I wouldn't feel bad about it haha

I'm glad it was mentioned though cause it led me to Waxoyl and I'm happy with how that came out - if it works that's another question entirely - will be interesting to see on the fast (although really just surface) rusting areas like the rear end and leave springs, how it looks in a couple years.

Two years ago I did my own tundra, I used two products NH OIL and Woolwax. I removed the front and rear fender liners and mudflaps. Removed tail lights, front headlights, all front plastic trim, removed door cards on all four doors, pulled all rubber plugs and gained acces to all panels.
Removed wheels and covered brake rotors but not the backing plates. Dropped the spare tire as well.

Then I psi washed the whole truck 4/5 times, it was general wash, wash with salt eliminating solution then rinse wash. Wash again with salt eliminating wash, then another soap wash and rinse. Followed by a serious blow job with the blow gun to dry out some hard to access areas.
Then let the truck sit in the sun for almost a week on Jack stands before applying products.

I chose to use NH Oil on all interior panels and parts where full access was harder. During my own basic tests I found NH OIL really did creep and spread way way more then Woolwax. I felt that was perfect for interior places between panels and hard to get to areas.
I applied Woolwax to every other area. I applied 2 gallons of NH oil and three gallons of Woolwax.
I sprayed just about everything!
I got some on the exhaust but wiped off what I could to limit smoke duration. I sprayed the hood and engine compartment, yes I did install cardboard to protect the serpentine belt and such. Overall truck came out great.

Two years later and multiple times checking I’ve had to do a few spot touch ups of Woolwax from some high abrasion areas but over all not much at all. Areas I found, front side of diff had areas and some fed bottom section of the frame. Otherwise not much.
My findings of NH Oil was spot on. To this day I have oil the keeps creeping out of the seems and pinch welds despite not having been applied for two years. Also the Woolwax has held up amazingly even with having the truck washed a couple times on the underside.
I have removed plugs and one door card a year ago just to see how things looked and plenty of oil all over. It’s coming due this year to touch up under the truck I peeked and it’s not much work same usual areas needing a little spraying.

Thanks for the detailed write up! Were you able to get Woolwax into the frame?
Not sure how to do that. Thanks!
Mitch

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed write up! We’re you able to get Woolwax into the frame?
Not sure how to do that. Thanks!
Mitch

This kit comes with wands that will run into the frame. You'll have to play with the pressure as it runs a bit differently than with just the spray gun.

If you sign up for their emails, Woolwax regularly does 10% coupon codes.

As I was typing this popped up. Unknown what percentage.

Capture.JPG

Just got my F250 done at Cape Cod Coatings in Hyannis. Pretty pleased with the results so far. They are a NH Oil undercoating dealer

The place I use offers 3 levels of service from just oil coating what is there to mechanical rust removal first. Their website gives prices. Cape Cod Rhino Linings in Bourne. Rhino Linings | NH Oil Undercoating | Cape Cod
I have an appointment next week with these guys. How is everything holding up?

Add me to the Waxoyl system. I’m getting it done Monday & Tuesday on John Fitch Highway at the old RV dealer (Desilet's Auto Repair now). They also do NHOU oil application, just not the BossWax.

2022 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed built in January, picked up 20 April, about $1000

I’ll be getting my wife’s 2021 Acadia done with oil - pretty sure the waxoyl only goes on new and it’s been through part of 2020-2021 winter and all of 2021-2022 winter.

~3-Months later, NH Oil ‘still’ dripping …

Whaddya think? Maybe I need to get a beach permit and drive through some really fine, ultra dry sand to seal the oil, LOL!

They said it would take ~2-weeks to stop dripping but this is almost 3-months later, done AUG 1st. That white tarp, while certainly not new, was all white less any black stain you might see from something else, but all those stains/colorations are drips from the oil.

Uhhh, and no … that is not ‘tannic leaf’ stains, as I usually blow the tarp off anytime I take the truck anywhere, or at least every other day, just so I can see new drip spots.

NEVER again … if you have a driveway you like that is … YOUR situation might be entirely different and it definitely could work for you.

DD2374FB-9495-47E9-B61E-E161D5C30577.jpeg

Add me to the Waxoyl system. I’m getting it done Monday & Tuesday on John Fitch Highway at the old RV dealer (Desilet's Auto Repair now). They also do NHOU oil application, just not the BossWax.

2022 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab Short Bed built in January, picked up 20 April, about $1000

I’ll be getting my wife’s 2021 Acadia done with oil - pretty sure the waxoyl only goes on new and it’s been through part of 2020-2021 winter and all of 2021-2022 winter.

For my 2022 F150, I decided to go with noxudol at a place in Leominster, $850, they require two days to complete application.

Had NH Undercoating applied last month at Rhino Linings of Cape Cod; I had the wheels off to rotate tires a couple of days ago and figured I’d snap a couple of pics…

1D6D1A45-FF58-4A7B-B612-F88B09669D59.jpeg

75940710-B8DC-471B-B975-1064E0ECF545.jpeg

NH Undercoat comes in a clear or black film, this is the clear which they typically use for newer vehicles. A couple of notes on this stuff:

- They don’t want you to drive in the rain for 4 weeks lol. But since that’s basically unavoidable they ask you to avoid puddles and go slow.

- The film doesn’t dry, it gets encapsulated by road dust.

- they cannot do the application if the vehicle is at all wet; so resist doing an undercarriage clean before your appointment

- no undercarriage washing going forward, although I’ll probably spray it down before next year’s application.

If you’re still interested, I was pretty happy with Rhino Linings of Cape Cod. They did it in about 2 hours while I waited.

NH Undercoat comes in a clear or black film, this is the clear which they typically use for newer vehicles. A couple of notes on this stuff:

- They don’t want you to drive in the rain for 4 weeks lol. But since that’s basically unavoidable they ask you to avoid puddles and go slow.

- The film doesn’t dry, it gets encapsulated by road dust.

- they cannot do the application if the vehicle is at all wet; so resist doing an undercarriage clean before your appointment

- no undercarriage washing going forward, although I’ll probably spray it down before next year’s application.
So... basically it's useless in NH. Gotcha.

Ok.

Not sure how you got that, and since they don’t pay me I’ll resist asking you why.
I quoted you as to why.

Name me any four+ week period in NH where your undercarriage is completely dry, and then you won't drive in rain.

I quoted you as to why.

Name me any four+ week period in NH where your undercarriage is completely dry, and then you won't drive in rain.
Oh, that’s why your comment seemed so stupid, you think NH is the only place it rains.

Anyway, can confirm the film is still on after multiple downpours; however, they also tell you to avoid high speeds - I didn’t and can definitely note places where it looks like the film was affected by it. (Edit: note the sway bar link in the picture)

Follow their directions and you’ll be fine. Or don’t, doesn’t matter to me - just passing on my experience for those interested.

Also note: they do offer cash discount

Last edited:
I quoted you as to why.

those guidelines apply to all "oil" type undercoating like woolwax and fluid film. You want to get the oil caked with dust and also give it a chance to creep into the crevasses. NHOU also has a semi hardening self healing wax which holds up a bit better to the undercarriage washings

Oh, that’s why your comment seemed so stupid, you think NH is the only place it rains.

Anyway, can confirm the film is still on after multiple downpours; however, they also tell you to avoid high speeds - I didn’t and can definitely note places where it looks like the film was affected by it.

Follow their directions and you’ll be fine. Or don’t, doesn’t matter to me - just passing on my experience for those interested.

To be fair, those pics show an extremely thin coat which won't last a winter of driving through slush. That's fine as you don't really see that on the Cape(I'm from there). Meanwhile in central and northern NH, there has already been multiple little slush and snow squalls.

IMO when you can get away with a thin coat, it's better as the undercarriage isn't a mess for the rest of the life of the truck. I either have to be completely naked or in coveralls to work on my truck with the amount of Woolwax I've sprayed on it.

All the undercoaters are going to have similar best practices when it comes to making the product last after an application. Other than surface prep(clean/dry) of it can be ignored as we all live in the real world. As a note, Woolwax claims it doesn't need to be clean/dry.

Thanks for the pics. Looks like they did a clean job. I hope they got inside all the frame rails and all the voids in the vehicle, tailgate, doors, above the wheels, etc. If my folks need something similar, I'll be sure to pass this place on.

Anyway, can confirm the film is still on after multiple downpours; however, they also tell you to avoid high speeds - I didn’t and can definitely note places where it looks like the film was affected by it.

How much was it?

To be fair, those pics show an extremely thin coat which won't last a winter of driving through slush. That's fine as you don't really see that on the Cape(I'm from there). Meanwhile in central and northern NH, there has already been multiple little slush and snow squalls.

IMO when you can get away with a thin coat, it's better as the undercarriage isn't a mess for the rest of the life of the truck. I either have to be completely naked or in coveralls to work on my truck with the amount of Woolwax I've sprayed on it.

All the undercoaters are going to have similar best practices when it comes to making the product last after an application. Other than surface prep(clean/dry) of it can be ignored as we all live in the real world. As a note, Woolwax claims it doesn't need to be clean/dry.

Thanks for the pics. Looks like they did a clean job. I hope they got inside all the frame rails and all the voids in the vehicle, tailgate, doors, above the wheels, etc. If my folks need something similar, I'll be sure to pass this place on.
That makes sense. It doesn’t seem thin to me, maybe i’ll take progress pics going forward for those interested. They did spray inside the frame where accessible. I asked them not to spray the door jambs or under the hood.

I can’t speak to the performance of the product yet, but like you I do prefer a non-mess underneath, so I’m pretty happy with the application. I can’t recommend the product yet, but I would recommend Cape Cod as a vendor of it.

How much was it?
I think it was $305, and $275 with cash discount.

Last edited:
Two years ago I did my own tundra, I used two products NH OIL and Woolwax. I removed the front and rear fender liners and mudflaps. Removed tail lights, front headlights, all front plastic trim, removed door cards on all four doors, pulled all rubber plugs and gained acces to all panels.
Removed wheels and covered brake rotors but not the backing plates. Dropped the spare tire as well.

Then I psi washed the whole truck 4/5 times, it was general wash, wash with salt eliminating solution then rinse wash. Wash again with salt eliminating wash, then another soap wash and rinse. Followed by a serious blow job with the blow gun to dry out some hard to access areas.
Then let the truck sit in the sun for almost a week on Jack stands before applying products.

I chose to use NH Oil on all interior panels and parts where full access was harder. During my own basic tests I found NH OIL really did creep and spread way way more then Woolwax. I felt that was perfect for interior places between panels and hard to get to areas.
I applied Woolwax to every other area. I applied 2 gallons of NH oil and three gallons of Woolwax.
I sprayed just about everything!
I got some on the exhaust but wiped off what I could to limit smoke duration. I sprayed the hood and engine compartment, yes I did install cardboard to protect the serpentine belt and such. Overall truck came out great.

Two years later and multiple times checking I’ve had to do a few spot touch ups of Woolwax from some high abrasion areas but over all not much at all. Areas I found, front side of diff had areas and some fed bottom section of the frame. Otherwise not much.
My findings of NH Oil was spot on. To this day I have oil the keeps creeping out of the seems and pinch welds despite not having been applied for two years. Also the Woolwax has held up amazingly even with having the truck washed a couple times on the underside.
I have removed plugs and one door card a year ago just to see how things looked and plenty of oil all over. It’s coming due this year to touch up under the truck I peeked and it’s not much work same usual areas needing a little spraying.
Done right , now how much you think that would cost to have a business do it!
Did you use a special salt soap,

Back
Top Bottom