Vehicle Undercoating

Just bought a new Jeep and hope to keep for awhile. Anywhere in Southcoast MA do Fluid Film?

Edit: looking for recommendations

Last edited:
Is it recommend that you don't have your undercarriage washed when going through a car wash?
I would imagine that it would wash off the fluid film.

Is it recommend that you don't have your undercarriage washed when going through a car wash?
I would imagine that it would wash off the fluid film.

Depends on how thick you apply it. When I did my Tacoma in 2020, I used two quarts of Woolwax-stayed on through the winter and then some regardless of washes. Doing my Ram in 2021, I only used one quart-It was gone from the undercarriage in the spring.

I'll spray it on thicker this year.

Totally not completely on topic but near the topic......

Toyota just did the frame and under coat of my 2015 tacoma for free. Seems it's part of their "retribution" for previous frame rot and rust issues lol. They sent me a letter when the truck turned 6 years old and said it needed to be brought to a Toyota dealer for frame inspection and treatment. I took it to Rockingham toyota.....they gave me a loaner car for free and had the truck for 4 days. They de scale the frame Inside and out.....then apply what the paperwork says is wax and oil rust inhibitor.....the oil stuff is applied inside the frame with some specialized equipment. Anyway.....it was completely free.....and with this completed if the frame rots before the truck is 15 years old they will replace the frame. All was done no charge and they gave me a loaner.

I know tacomas had some frame rust issues pre 2005 but I was under the impression they solved that by using drain channels in the full box frame sections. Anyway......I'm actually glad they did all of it for free. I was expecting the service manager to hand me the list of "urgent" repairs they found during the inspection like most dealerships do when you come back for a recall.....but nope......he just gave me the paperwork for the rust inhibitor work and off I went.
Just saw this thread and your post. If you still have your tacoma keep an eye on that frame. Toyota did the undercoating “fix” on mine and within 1.5 years the frame had the same rot issues. I was still within the time frame of them replacing frames but Toyota said they were not going to because they already coated the frame. Turned into a huge fight and finally got fixed under the class action settlement. I believe they changed their rules and will replace the frame now if the undercoating fails though. My friends a Toyota tech and said the coatings all bullshit to push the can down the road hoping you dont have the truck by the time it fails.

Depends on how thick you apply it. When I did my Tacoma in 2020, I used two quarts of Woolwax-stayed on through the winter and then some regardless of washes. Doing my Ram in 2021, I only used one quart-It was gone from the undercarriage in the spring.

I'll spray it on thicker this year.
😂 If you only used a quart or two what you sprayed isn’t doing crapola.

Disagree.
Your truck. Your happiness.

I think my wife’s Acura got 15 qts. I want to say my truck ate 27. Wheel well liners pulled. Spare dropped. Wheels removed. Tail lights pulled.
It was fully pressure washed first and dried before they pulled them apart. (They did not pull the front liners on the Acura for good reason)

I needed to touch up the frame rails in the wheel Wells of my truck from the constant truck washing and used a quart. The shop that did the work was straight out. The owner asked if I wanted to do it myself. Filled up the container and I brought it home. Squirted it and returned his Gun.

I ended up just buying my own set up for Fluid Film in 2019. You will need a larger sized air-compressor to run the set up + air hose:

Amazon product ASIN B07YF5BCDHView: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YF5BCDH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon product ASIN B08R1GHVNNView: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R1GHVNN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can also find some on Fle-Bay

Last edited:
I used cans of fluid film on my wife’s truck last year, but a 5 gal bucket is only $200. Do you guys just cover the exhaust and go for broke spraying everything else?

I spray it on and in everything. It will smoke/smell for a couple days.

Woolwax's kit which includes gun, wands, and four quart bottles is a good starter kit if you don't have the gun and wands. Then just refill the bottles from a larger/cheaper source.

I used fluid film on my Tacoma, and it was OK. If I still had the truck I would have switched to wool wax. Now I have a brand new Tundra on the way and am going to use Cosmoline RP-342 since it will be a “fresh” surface. Not cheap, but after extensive research seems to be the best option. I bought a gallon jug, and will apply with the woolwax gun.

I’m told this product is better than Woolwax in that it creeps better.

I do not have direct experience seeing it.
The entire success of applying this shit is getting all the crud out of the cracks the accumulation of rust/salt/dirt from the frame crevasses. Applying sheep jiz over this crap does nothing.
Next pos that comes in with this crap smothered all over I will try to remember to take some pictures and point out the fails.

The entire success of applying this shit is getting all the crud out of the cracks the accumulation of rust/salt/dirt from the frame crevasses. Applying sheep jiz over this crap does nothing.
Next pos that comes in with this crap smothered all over I will try to remember to take some pictures and point out the fails.
I’m well aware of what’s proper. Taking it apart is better than spraying and praying.

My truck application was nearly 800 in cash.

I just signed off on a new Colorado today. It had 3 miles, after a test drive now it's got 7. Hasn't been driven in the rain yet even.

I'm gonna have to read through these posts - I think I'd prefer what I can do myself (even if its a few times a year) but regardless, if there's a time it's now.

With that said my old canyon was parked on dirt and mud basically it's whole life and the frame thats about shot now was still looking pretty good when the rest of the truck was beat to hell - became a 2k/year winter driver and after 5 years of that now some rot comes into question. But I don't drive like I used to, so potentially this one could rot away before I destroy everything mechanical and electrical.

Locally done in Greenville. Lack of help has stopped him from doing it but there are many shops around elsewhere.
Finding help to actually do this shit work must be awful. Im gearing up to do my 10 year old Tundra . My truck will be tied up for more days than I care for. Plus Im just not looking forward to it.
Also I know I most likely wont be happy with the out come if someone else does it

Man......the more I read about this, the more I change my mind. Am a hard pass on anything rubberized or tar based, despite how popular that shit has become. Couldn't even convince my cousin not to f*** his rubicon frame with that shit.

But with my new truck arriving in a few months, still not sure what is the best, longest lasting, wax or oil based treatment I can pay to have applied. Have done fluid film + CRC on my current 4runner and don't feel like dealing with that multi day mess again (entire neighborhood smelled like a chemical factory for a week).

Any consesus on best product/shop locally to take care of a brand new truck? Anything better than having to splatter fluid film or oil everywhere every single year?

Back
Top Bottom