• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vehicle carry in CT.

I'm late to the party here, but I've had questions about this in CT as well. Like so much of the information the state posts online, it's not that organized or spelled out. You have to be careful you are not 'Transporting' a firearm. If you are 'Transporting' a handgun then it must be in a different location from the ammo, and must be in a locked location not in the cabin of the car. Is a loaded gun in The center console and glove-compartment "Transporting"? I wouldn't want to find out the hard way. It's my google search based knowledge of the law; that you should carry it in a holster on your person if you are in a car, otherwise you might have a tough time talking your way out of a 1000.00 fine or jail time.

Botom line is to not take my word, don't take your word. Anyone interested should look up the statute themself and/or look to an authority like the NRAILA for guidance.

I agree 100%. I've also seen incorrect law information at both the NRA-ILA and in similar places (that "Guide to gunlaws in the 50 states" book, packing.org when it still existed, etc.), which is why I think people should do a lot of reading for themselves if they want to know what the law says.

I'm late to the party here, but I've had questions about this in CT as well. Like so much of the information the state posts online, it's not that organized or spelled out. You have to be careful you are not 'Transporting' a firearm. If you are 'Transporting' a handgun then it must be in a different location from the ammo, and must be in a locked location not in the cabin of the car. Is a loaded gun in The center console and glove-compartment "Transporting"? I wouldn't want to find out the hard way. It's my google search based knowledge of the law; that you should carry it in a holster on your person if you are in a car, otherwise you might have a tough time talking your way out of a 1000.00 fine or jail time.

buketduder is correct, a CT pistol permit doesn't restrict you how may carry a handgun in a vehicle.

However, you mentioned "transporting," which sounds to me like you're discussing having a gun in the vehicle without a CT permit. This is legal in a few circumstances, but the law doesn't seem very vague to me at all. [wink]

The law on the subject is Connecticut General Statutes Chapter 529 Section 29-35, which says:

Sec. 29-35. Carrying of pistol or revolver without permit prohibited. Exceptions. (a) No person shall carry any pistol or revolver upon his or her person, except when such person is within the dwelling house or place of business of such person, without a permit to carry the same issued as provided in section 29-28. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to the carrying of any pistol or revolver by any parole officer or peace officer of this state, or parole officer or peace officer of any other state while engaged in the pursuit of official duties, or federal marshal or federal law enforcement agent, or to any member of the armed forces of the United States, as defined in section 27-103, or of this state, as defined in section 27-2, when on duty or going to or from duty, or to any member of any military organization when on parade or when going to or from any place of assembly, or to the transportation of pistols or revolvers as merchandise, or to any person transporting any pistol or revolver while contained in the package in which it was originally wrapped at the time of sale and while transporting the same from the place of sale to the purchaser's residence or place of business, or to any person removing such person's household goods or effects from one place to another, or to any person while transporting any such pistol or revolver from such person's place of residence or business to a place or individual where or by whom such pistol or revolver is to be repaired or while returning to such person's place of residence or business after the same has been repaired, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides, or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver to and from a testing range at the request of the issuing authority, or to any person transporting an antique pistol or revolver, as defined in section 29-33. For the purposes of this subsection, "formal pistol or revolver training" means pistol or revolver training at a locally approved or permitted firing range or training facility, and "transporting a pistol or revolver" means transporting a pistol or revolver that is unloaded and, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle, is not readily accessible or directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle or, if such pistol or revolver is being transported in a motor vehicle that does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, such pistol or revolver shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit the carrying of a pistol or revolver during formal pistol or revolver training or repair.

(b) The holder of a permit issued pursuant to section 29-28 shall carry such permit upon one's person while carrying such pistol or revolver.

I bolded the part that defines "transporting," which very clearly indicates that a gun on your person in a holster or loaded in the glove compartment/center console isn't legal. I've never seen any case law on the subject though, so if anyone knows of any that clarifies this further, I'm all ears. [grin]

The other point associated with this statute that can be confusing is that if you live in CT and want to go to a pistol competition you need a pistol permit. My understanding based on case law is that the provisions associated with training and formal competitions has been ajudicated to be for OUT OF STATE people who can't reasonably be expected to have a pistol permit.

i.e. if you are from MA and coming to CT for a match, you don't need a CT pistol permit. But if you are from CT and want to participate in a CT match, you do need a permit.

Again, I can't find the case law. If someone can confirm or rebut what I said above, while citing specific statutes or case law, that would be great. I'm interested in the truth.

Don

Back
Top Bottom