1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Vehicle Accident Microthread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ridleyman, Dec 6, 2018.

1. ridleyman

ridleyman NES Member

First of all, I was going to say "car accident", but then I realized that might exclude people who drive pick-ups, motorcycles, and Subarus, and cause posturing, or tears, so I stuck with the gender neutral "vehicle".

I moved back east from CA as a single dad, with my then 1.5 year old daughter, in my Chevy Tahoe that I had for 11 years and 172K miles. Then I got remarried, and it was soon to be 5 of us. I got a 2013 Ford Explorer for a driving trip across country, which it did fine. After the first snow, however, the "4wd" software failed, and then other crap happened to sour me to Ford, yet again.

Anyways, in October, 2016, I was pulling into my driveway in Lexington when I was broadsided by a Dodge Ram (appropriately named!). Luckily, I had dropped my older daughter at ballet already, otherwise it could have been really bad, and as it was I got a bit banged up. The airbags deployed, and there was high drama with police, ambulances, etc, but I just walked out of the car on my own. The genius who drove into me insisted that I didn't signal a right turn, even though the right signal light was still flashing after the coup-de-grace on my ride. The car was totaled and I subsequently bought a used Toyota Sequoia.

Share your story, if you like.

Attached Files:

2. xtry51

xtry51 NES Member

I have been in a few accidents, and lost two cars, but never been driving during any of them. My car in high school was a 1992 Volvo 240.

Around 2am, my car is parked in front of my house across street. A drunk lady was driving past my house on our side of street, she swerved across the road (reason unknown) and hit my car in the drivers door. She got out, looked at what she did, then tried to drive away and hit it again in the rear quarter panel and drug her car along mine, leaving the scene.

I did not see any of this as I was asleep. I went outside after my neighbor came over pounding on door saying she heard someone hit my car. I concluded the driver was female and had gotten out of her car after initial impact, because I found her shoe on the ground next to my front driver side wheel.

I call the police and report what I know. I tell them if they can find Cinderella I have her shoe. The dispatcher takes my address and tells me immediately they might have the woman in custody and an officer will be right over. About 5 min later a cop shows up, takes my info/notes/etc along with neighbors. I hand him the shoe and he confirms they have her arrested already. I asked how they caught her, cop said she hit another officer 10 blocks away. T boned him as she blew thru a stop sign.

Fastest resolution to a car wreck I've ever had. The police report was iron clad. I kept the car for a few more months but it blew a rear bearing eventually because apparently she had bent the shaft on passenger side when she hit my car the second time into the curb.

3. Hetzer

Hetzer NES Member

Riding my 85 Vulcan 700, going straight through an intersection, the light turns yellow and the person waiting for me to go by so they could take a left turn decided not to wait any longer and cut right across my right of way. I had half a second to brake and swerve and didn't make it. I flew through the rest of the wide intersection and landed next to the third car waiting in line at the stop line (the cop said it was over 60 feet), got up, staggered between the cars and collapsed in the parking lot of the Islington (Dedham) fire station. My buddy was right behind me and he barely swerved around the front of her. I still remember the expression on the guys face as I got up and leaned on his car. His mouth was literally hanging open in shock.

I sprained everything and broke nothing, but I was only 24 at the time.

4. TJL

TJL

She wanted to do you a favor, and save you embarrassment from driving that brick: 25 Ugliest Cars Ever Made - Page 6 of 26 - Yeah! Motor

LOL

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  5. xtry51

xtry51 NES Member

I've owned 3 of them. So she did a shitty job. I love flying bricks

MetalgodZ likes this.
  6. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Only one. Almost totaled my GMC Jimmy Diesel in the driveway of a house we had just bought. The only thing preventing the total was I wanted the truck and I knew the body shop.

Life for that truck wasn’t pretty. Put that poor truck thru hell. Wish I kept it and installed a 454 in it. I was young, dumb and full of cum. Didn’t have a lot of money back then but the stories from that truck are best left a smile and memory.
    Cracked the frame several times. Sheared off the quad shocks on the front end several times. Should have had a zipper versus bolts on the 700R4 transmission. Water flowing in one door and out the other many times. Mud. Sand. Pissed off my father bad one night. Cops almost impounded one night until I proved it wasn’t me but I was in that place at that time.
    Did I mention mud, ice and water? LOL. Just keep the intake free and diesels do keep running!!!
    Broke and rebuilt the front seats more times than I care to think about. 1/4 angle iron and a welder fixed that for good but it wasn’t pretty.

I was just starting out driving a big truck and thought little trucks could do anything.

Tinkermatic likes this.
  7. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

If any of you live in Hudson MA, back in the mid 80s I was headed towards 117 on 62. There's this long straight stretch then a sweep to the left when Marlboro street comes in. Like 11:30pm, I fell asleep and woke up a moment before the turn.

I made it through the turn but couldn't straighten it out. Slammed into a granite block retaining wall that to this day are still crooked from the crash.

No real injuries. Some stitches where I apparently tried to bite my lip off. Not even a decent scar.

8. Tinkermatic

Tinkermatic NES Member

Riding home from work a sunny afternoon on my ‘01 Speed triple. I’m just over a mile from home on the VFW by the West Roxbury VA, I ride this road every day(read, complacent). Bumper to bumper, stop and go, every afternoon.

Car in front of me stops short for someone who decided to make a last second U-turn, I don’t see it in time, grab a fist full of front brake at 35mph and go full superman over the right side of the trunk in to a thankfully unoccupied piece of pavement some distance away.

Must have been a slow day for first responders!
    2 fire trucks
    2 ambulances
    2 BPD
    1 Statie

I couldn’t get up at first(that was scary) but after a long talk with EMS and thanking the firemen for standing my bike up, I rode it home. Twisted handlebars and leaking brake(as well as bodily) fluid, the statie decided to followed me just to be safe.

I pull in to my spot and honk to get my wife’s attention, I don’t know why I honked.
    I’ve just shown up bleeding through both legs of my torn jeans, scraped face shield, sitting on a visibly busted motorcycle. My wife broke down. I was relatively late so she was already worried and come to find out she heard all the sirens.

Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.
    Went to the doctor the following afternoon, I’ve never been so sore in my life.
    Turns out I had a pretty good funcussion and a broken elbow on top of some serious road rash and bruising(the pictures are pretty incredible).
    Leather jacket saved my torso, full face helmet saved my face, and life. Jeans might as well be shorts in that situation.

That was 3 years ago, I still can’t feel my right knee. I still ride.
    ATGATT

9. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

The WoWo 240s and their kin are the only "old volvos" I ever see still floating around. You see more of those than you see ones made a decade later, lol. My boss had one a long time ago and said it wasn't that tough to
    work on, either.

-Mike

10. new guy

new guy NES Member

I still hold out hope of someday being able to justify buying another yellow ‘78 240, just like I had in high school (in the 90s). They’re ugly and slow but there’s something beautiful about how little Volvo cared about all that.

Mine died after being rear ended by a pickup truck allegedly doing 40mph (per my coworker driving the truck), while I sat at a stop sign somewhere in Scituate. Crumpled the whole trunk, but I still managed to drive it home that day.

11. AHM

AHM NES Member

Leaving my Palm Beach condo complex
    for a ride on the local bike path,
    I realized that I was wearing my reading glasses.

I removed the glasses with my right hand,
    then braked with my left hand as I neared the the driveway curb cut.

I fell and broke my elbow.
    I flew back to Boston the next week for reconstructive surgery.

Oh wait, that wasn't me -
    it was Howie Carr.

drgrant likes this.
  12. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie

She must have really liked that bike.

mibro, rali, jkelly1229 and 4 others like this.
  13. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

Back in 1981, I was stopped at a STOP sign at 2nd Av. in Chelsea, when an NSE type came around the corner and hit me in the left front fender.
    In addition to being drunk at 12:30 in the afternoon, he was driving someone elses' rental car, without a license, without insurance, and he had two little kids in the car with him.
    Someone must have reported it as a much bigger accident than it was because a cruiser, two fire engines and an ambulance showed up within a few minutes.
    The cops arrested the guy and took him away, then another cruiser showed up and took the two kids. They called a tow truck to take his car away, but mine was driveable after I pulled the fender away from the tire. I had full coverage on my car so I was covered for the uninsured driver hitting me.
    Anyway, I got an estimate for $600 to repair my car and made a claim with my insurance company.
    Fast forward a week, I get a call from the insurance company and they said they did an investigation and determined that I was more than 50% at fault, therefore they weren't going to pay my claim.
    WTF ??? Seriously ??? I was STOPPED at a STOP sign when a DRUNK hit ME, and it's MY fault ???
    Anyway, I told my mother what the insurance company said and she called them up and totally ripped them a new a$$hole, and they finally agreed to pay my claim. When the check arrived a week later, it was for $800, which was $200 more than I had claimed.

NSE = No Speaka' English

mibro likes this.
  14. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain NES Member

1. A few minor fender benders that weren't my fault.
    2. Dumped my Interceptor 500 getting on gas leaning too hard taking off from a stop sign. Bounced the bike of my left knee and the pavement.
    3. Rear ended at a stop light in coming up hill towards Holden SP barracks. I stopped at light and looked left to take right on red. Light turned green just as I did. Clown behind me just saw green, and mowed me down doing 20-25. That totaled the Interceptor.
    4. Hit head on in Holden by a freshly minted Jamaican driver who thought it was a good day to learn how to drive in the snow. Totaled a Mercury Mountaineer that was just about paid off.
    5. Dumped my Yamaha R1 like a dork. I was coming over a hill a little hot with cold tires. Got on rear brake too hard and locked up tire... didn't recover. It was either skid across intersection or into curb. I put it into curb and high sided. Did a cool tactical roll, and broke my left wrist.

Tinkermatic likes this.
  15. Tinkermatic

Tinkermatic NES Member

She still does, mostly.

I didn’t claim anything on the bike itself, just used my $10k in medical payments benefits. Insurance paid for itself right there, 4 follow ups for my elbow, nothing out of pocket.

I spent the winter on Ebay and Bikebandit sourcing parts and putting it back together.

Edit- I get it now, way over my head Rob... shameful.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    mibro likes this.
  16. one-eyed Jack

one-eyed Jack Manufacturer Dealer NES Member

After driving for 67 years with no accidents I finally had a fender bender in heavy traffic. No one really at fault, no injuries, both vehicles drivable. Wonder if I'll get hit with a surcharge. Jack.

mibro likes this.
  17. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

my buddy in Lexington got rear ended by a motorcycle about 75 yds from the house while stopped at a light, 5:30am. who witnessed this episode while stopped on the opposite side of the light you ask. a lawyer from one of those well known ambulance chasing "call 800-SLICK-JIM for the money you deserve" firms in boston. he had court that morning and was heading to the office early. holy smokes, this turned out to be a set for life moment for my buddy after his neck injury had 2 years of pt.

18. GaryO

GaryO NES Member

I've been lucky but it seems that drivers are getting worse. I bought a cheap dashcam and keep it on whenever i'm in the car.

ridleyman likes this.
  19. Chris

Chris

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
    Head on by a drunk who crossed the line next to Keefe Tech in Framingham. Jeep totaled. Front axle springs ripped from the spring eyes, axle driven into firewall, front driveshaft driven through the transfer case.

Other driver was on a suspended license for first OUI.

Court let him out with just a fine, court costs, and a longer suspension.

Guy wrapped himself around a pole at 60mph about 3 months later. Sadly, after killing a child in another car he bounced off.

#MACourtFails - letting criminals run free since at least 1993.

20. MetalgodZ

MetalgodZ NES Member

There's nothing else around that had ~25 years of parts interchangeability, including parts and pretty much entire drivelines across almost all of the RWD stuff up through the death of the S90. Love the older 2-doors, and the ability to (relatively) easily make them do things they really weren't intended to do. There's something entertaining to me about being able to walk into a junkyard and source enough parts to go from a 1979 2.0L 4-cyl to a turbocharged 2.1L, 2.3L, or 2.5L 4cyl (your choice of 8v or 16v), 2.3L or 2.5L 5-cyl, or 3.0L inline 6 (with some minor radiator rework), turbo or not, with relatively minor mechanical work, and a decent number of plug-and-play electronics solutions.

[​IMG]

I've still got a '79 242 shell that's sitting rotting. I really miss driving that. No more project cars until garage... :(

mibro and new guy like this.
  21. tuna

tuna NES Member

An old lady stopped in front of me, and I just barely managed to not rear end her. Then I got smashed into from behind by a guy who was paying more attention to the chick on the sidewalk than to traffic.

My driving instructor was pissed! It was my first road lesson for drivers ed.

This is why I drive junk. This was the first of several accidents over the next few decades.

Tinkermatic likes this.
  22. Tinkermatic

Tinkermatic NES Member

Just read this to my wife, she responded “I do love thet bike” she got it right away.
    Now she’s making fun of me, dammit!

I blame the concussion.

23. fshalor

fshalor NES Member

Pretty sure this is gonna turn into a macro thread.

Volvo 240dl, 1983 (yeah boi! 150 music stands would fit in the back of that beast) did a quick stop and managed to not plow into the person in front. Minivan behind me didn't make it but I was watching the driver the whole time in the rearview and they were on the brakes between the time I could press and look back.

They slammed into me, but my 17 year old self had the pedal all the way to the floor. Guy followed me to a parking lot ( I was going there anyway to pickup a pizza and it was like 50 ft from where we struck.)
    Two cars behind us were locked together at the bumpers.

He checked his kids first, all we're okay. His airbag didn't deploy for some reason. He still had the van running for the AC and ploiece were on the way and fluid started leaking out. While I'm suggesting turning it off, it milkshakes and parts start flying off the front and part of the radiator falls to the ground. Then the engine.

AHM likes this.
  24. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

Do on purposes count?

Driving home in an epic blizzard in my old school beetle back in the 80's.

The town plows had done STELLAR duty piling a range of snow probably 4 - 5 feet high across the bottom of my driveway and it was past midnight (2nd shift job).

So I go up the street, turn around, come back at full throttle and swerve up OVER the embankment and maybe 50' into a pasture. There the car sat until the snow melted enough to extract it.

25. snax

snax NES Member

some dickweed texting bumped me on 93 the day before I was selling my car. left two license plate screw inpressions in the rear bumper.
    buyer never noticed.

26. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

27. Zappa

Zappa Road Warrior NES Member

Another traffic death caused by a Kennedy driving irresponsibly.

AHM likes this.
  28. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

I've had a few minor accidents over the years, only totaled one. I learned how to drive well in the snow, and adverse conditions by driving like an a**h*** in the snow in a RWD car. I'd go out and have fun while learning what the car would do based on my reactions when the ass end was hanging out sideways. One time I was out doing this in my winter car, 80something Buick Regal. The roads started getting pretty bad, so I decided to head home. Driving normally I came into a turn going maybe just a touch too quick in hindsight, and the front end grabbed a deep rut and instantly I was along for the ride. Hit a pole at about 10-15mph.

29. BrianWilson

BrianWilson NES Member

Decades ago during a snowstorm a cute young lass who was going way too fast in Dad's car crested the hill and slid onto my side of the road, demolishing the LF corner of my car. When the cop showed up she broke down in tears. In spite of the fresh tracks in the snow that clearly told the whole story, the cop saw it as my fault for driving with the LF headlight inoperable,
    ( you know, the one that was intact and worked perfectly fine before she bashed it into the back seat?) she couldn't see me coming and all, and wrote it up accordingly. I'll give him this...she was a hottie. Sorry, no pics.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  30. ridleyman

ridleyman NES Member

my parents used to have a 1971 Saab, front wheel drive, I believe, and to drive in the snow my friends had to sit on the hood while I was driving to get enough traction. I generally kept it under 20 mph. we were all brilliant high school boys.