• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vegetable Garden - Seeds Question

Junior314

NES Life Member
NES Member
Figure this would be the appropriate place to ask this question.

Where do you guys source your seeds from? Planning on building a few raised vegetable garden beds this year. My in-laws work at a food processing plant so I got some 50 gallon drums I am planning to rig up to collect rain water and run slow drip lines into the garden.

Any tips or good sources to research from?

Or my local Agway has a good selection of seeds. My local farm store does, too.
If this is your first time gardening, think simple, don't take on too much, and stick to easy growing vegetables like squash, beans, leafy greens.

Heirloom seeds allow you to let a couple plants go to seed, and those seeds will be viable for re-planting after drying. Hybrid seeds don't do this so well.

Also, look into square foot gardening - allows more dense plantings with a deep soil bed. Only trick is your garden location. As with any bed garden it should be evenly lit, so you can rotate plantings, as moving soil between raised beds is a bit of a chore.

Heirloom seeds allow you to let a couple plants go to seed, and those seeds will be viable for re-planting after drying. Hybrid seeds don't do this so well.

Also, look into square foot gardening - allows more dense plantings with a deep soil bed. Only trick is your garden location. As with any bed garden it should be evenly lit, so you can rotate plantings, as moving soil between raised beds is a bit of a chore.

I was doing the all organic seed thing for a few years. Some of them aren't as hardy obviously as hybrids. Now I mix a little especially if I really need the garden to produce food and not just be a hobby. I didn't have good success with Victory seeds. Baker Creek seeds have worked pretty well. Also our garden space is a challenge. It is in the shade by 4/4:30pm in the summer. No place else to put it here. Our house is between 2 hills.

Buying seeds on the internet is probably a lost cause right now. Ocean state has good deals on the same seeds everyone else has. Or support you local garden center. A couple of bucks for 20-30 or more seeds. Can’t really go wrong.

I was doing the all organic seed thing for a few years. Some of them aren't as hardy obviously as hybrids. Now I mix a little especially if I really need the garden to produce food and not just be a hobby. I didn't have good success with Victory seeds. Baker Creek seeds have worked pretty well. Also our garden space is a challenge. It is in the shade by 4/4:30pm in the summer. No place else to put it here. Our house is between 2 hills.

If it gets 6-8 hours of direct or even lower angle sun it should be fine.

Has anyone tried using supermarket dry beans like black beans or red and planting them?

I have not, but it is possible to do. You need to test the viability of some of the beans first to see germination rate.

Has anyone tried using supermarket dry beans like black beans or red and planting them?

Never tried supermarket beans, but found this:

"Only dry beans can germinate, so choose from those in the bulk dry bins or those that are bagged. Not all bean seeds from the grocery store are viable. Some may be too old to germinate well, while others are irradiated so they won't sprout." Dec 9, 2018

Try a sample of a dozen or so beans and see if they produce sprouts.

How To Sprout Black Beans
1584919693656.png

And you can eat your experiment!

Back
Top Bottom