• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vault or secure room

MLanava

NES Member
Has anyone created a small walk in safe area in their house in addition to or instead of a safe(s). Did a general contractor help you? If so any recommendations in central mass?

Figure out who bids for contracts to build police stations. Those are contractors who know how to make arms rooms and jail cells, presumably.

They might not be interested in residential work, but they might give you a lead.

A safe is hard to get into and can offer a SMALL bit of fire protection, but how do you harden a room to the point that an battery operated saw isn't going to go through the wall? Humidity is also a concern.

A safe is hard to get into and can offer a SMALL bit of fire protection, but how do you harden a room to the point that an battery operated saw isn't going to go through the wall? Humidity is also a concern.
Surrounded by concrete….. dehumidifiers

Most, if not all, home burglaries are quick, smash and grab events. Unless some tweakers know you have a collection of guns and are out of town on vacation, they are not going to spend the time to to break into a halfway-decently built safe, strong room, locked closet, whatever.
Any decent amount of deterent will save your stuff.

Unless you are a guy who brags to his buddies, and anybody else within earshot, that you have a collection of awesome guns.

It’s more the stuff banging around and space and being able to move stuff around in the safe versus how much better it would be in an open area

Figure out who bids for contracts to build police stations. Those are contractors who know how to make arms rooms and jail cells, presumably.

They might not be interested in residential work, but they might give you a lead.
Building a vault is not rocket science. I will guess the hardest part is finding a good location for the room.

Building a vault is not rocket science. I will guess the hardest part is finding a good location for the room.
The area isn’t that big… just not sure it’s worth it but it’s still way bigger than a safe. I have like a 3’ opening (maybe 34-35”) x 6.5’ deep… the logistics of what to do is not clear. Most doors are 30 or 36… also 2 of the sides are concrete and one just sheet rock. Also the concrete doesn’t go all the way to the ceiling

The area isn’t that big… just not sure it’s worth it but it’s still way bigger than a safe. I have like a 3’ opening (maybe 34-35”) x 6.5’ deep… the logistics of what to do is not clear. Most doors are 30 or 36… also 2 of the sides are concrete and one just sheet rock. Also the concrete doesn’t go all the way to the ceiling
It sounds like it is in a basement, how is humidity?
Risk of flooding?
How often are you man handling your guns?
why not get more than one gun safe, maybe go smaller but you can segregate - guns used often/safe queens/collectible ...

In MA, you can have your rifles with a lock and be compliant. It is easy enough to put a lock on a door or replace the door with a vault door and have your rifles with trigger locks on a wall or in a closet. Finish the concrete all the way to the ceiling.

Most people will not know what is in that room.
Someone can kick a hole through a wall, but if they are doing that chances are they know you have something. Anyway, if you are somewhat serious, it wouldn't take much to reinforce the wall against a foot going through.

It won't be fire proof, but if you don't have rare collectibles or sentimental guns, insure them. Insurance is cheap, like $150/year for something like $50K. I need to check my policy, but it also covers reloading components and ammo.

I forget who it was maybe @fencer or @richc Sells a trigger lock that mounts to a wall, I didn't see one in person but I remember the thread and it seemed cool and convenient.

Last edited:
Risk of flooding?
why not get more than one gun safe, maybe go smaller but you can segregate - guns used often/safe queens/collectible ...

In MA, you can have your rifles with a lock and be compliant. It is easy enough to put a lock on a door or replace the door with a vault door and have your rifles with trigger locks on a wall or in a closet. Finish the concrete all the way to the ceiling.

Someone can kick a hole through a wall, but if they are doing that chances are they know you have something. Anyway, if you are somewhat serious, it wouldn't take much to reinforce the wall against a foot going through.

It won't be fire proof, but if you don't have rare collectibles or sentimental guns, insure them. Insurance is cheap, like $150/year for something like $50K. I need to check my policy, but it also covers reloading components and ammo.

I forget who it was maybe @fencer or @richc Sells a trigger lock that mounts to a wall, I didn't see one in person but I remember the thread and it seemed cool and convenient.
Yes an unfinished sec of a finished basement. Haven’t had water in this house fortunately - I also have dehumidifier that barely runs…. A few years ago I sold a “48 gun” safe and bought a couple slightly smaller. I put that in quotes because I’ve found yiu can really only fit 30% of what they say and I’m sick of scopes banging against each other and all the annoying stuff that comes along with it

Risk of flooding?

Who do you use for insurance? Do they require a complete list of everything you want covered, or do you just set a value?

Do it right:

exhibits_colby-trophy-room.jpg

By the way, this is located on the Boston/Cambridge line, of all places....

To the point of your post, however, OP: Are you looking for storage, security, or compliance? This should be the guide. Unless I misread your dims, you have an area that's ~3 x 6'. if you were to turn the room into a "vault", and use one wall for a rack, you'll have a tight aisle. Unless you have a collection like the above picture, a safe sounds good.

A pencil sketch showing the area would help.

Safes are a single unit - drop in in place, and you're done; a vault door will require professional (or at least skilled) installation, and then you have to deal with the non-secure/robust walls, too.

Who do you use for insurance? Do they require a complete list of everything you want covered, or do you just set a value?
Eastern. The amount is set unless you want additional coverage. They don't require a list of items unless something is worth over a certain dollar value.

Cover ammo, reloading equipment, cleaning the mess...

If the quote comes over $150, tell them to look at it again. At first they had me in a high wind hazard zone ... made no sense. They looked into it and lowered it. Might be their algorithm messing up.

I have had them for 2 years, their price did not increase on renewal.

I asked them a hypothetical, let's say an AK is destroyed in a fire, the AK costs $800 I'm a free Stste but $1400 to replace in MA. Do they give me the MA replacement cost? ... the woman wasn't sure. She just said "we pay replacement cost".

It might be worth to dig into that.

Last edited:
Eastern. The amount is set unless you want additional coverage. They don't require a list of items unless something is worth over a certain dollar value.
[thumbsup]
Specifically for firearms:

It depends on who you are trying to keep out /away from your guns. A closet that locks meets the test. Or even a room that locks that no unauthorized persons have access.

When I built my house I had them poor a 10" thick concrete wall in my basement to creating a decent size gun room with an 80"X40"opening for a vault door, something similar could be done with concrete block and rebar, to an existing construction, Any thing can be defeated with enough time, but this is a pretty secure option for safe storage, plus a safe can fit inside the room for additional security. It's nice to be able to leave a gun on the workbench and just close the door and walk away

Do it right:

exhibits_colby-trophy-room.jpg

By the way, this is located on the Boston/Cambridge line, of all places....

To the point of your post, however, OP: Are you looking for storage, security, or compliance? This should be the guide. Unless I misread your dims, you have an area that's ~3 x 6'. if you were to turn the room into a "vault", and use one wall for a rack, you'll have a tight aisle. Unless you have a collection like the above picture, a safe sounds good.

A pencil sketch showing the area would help.

Safes are a single unit - drop in in place, and you're done; a vault door will require professional (or at least skilled) installation, and then you have to deal with the non-secure/robust walls, too.
I also did this, but in a very, very, small scale 344287942_143768695227264_1690214567514932661_n (2).jpg 344284766_6513483881998198_4968100187034522281_n (2).jpg

It depends on who you are trying to keep out /away from your guns. A closet that locks meets the test. Or even a room that locks that no unauthorized persons have access.

There was an actual case of improper storage where the defendant lost because the lock was insufficient. The problem was that the lock wasn't a proper lock, it was a privacy lock like you see on bathrooms, and not a lock with a key. I expect (but have no evidence to support) that the door itself was hollow core.

When I built my house I had them poor a 10" thick concrete wall in my basement to creating a decent size gun room with an 80"X40"opening for a vault door, something similar could be done with concrete block and rebar, to an existing construction, Any thing can be defeated with enough time, but this is a pretty secure option for safe storage, plus a safe can fit inside the room for additional security. It's nice to be able to leave a gun on the workbench and just close the door and walk away

What did you do about the ceiling? Ventilation? I realize you weren't trying to make a safe-room, I'm more curious about cleaning fluids and farts and other stuff. Plus, HVAC helps with moisture.

Back
Top Bottom