Varget shortage?

I have a 1lb of varget incase i run out of my go to IMR 4046 for my 8mm mauser. I have 1 lbs of that, but maybe i should get more :)

I'll probably get an 8-lb Varget when I can, it's still my overall favorite powder and the most versatile.

I've been cranking through the few pounds of Shooters World I got for 1 cent hazmat and free shipping. It's been fine. I also have four pounds of various Vihta powders I haven't touched yet.

I always feel like I don't have enough powder.

I really like Hodgdon's BLC-(2) for rifle reloading. They advise that it's the commercial version of the military contract powder they make for the Gov't contracts. I figure that if it's good enough for military contracts (5.56 Nato), it's good enough for me. It's a ball powder, and flows much better than the extruded stick Varget does. Especially into those small necks of the 223 Rem. I try to also use it for as much rifle reloading as I can, 30-06, 308 Win, 7.62X54R, etc, etc, etc. Much easier to find than Varget.

My pistol powder of choice for many pistol cartridges is Hodgdon's TiteGroup. Also a dense ball powder, and works great with 9mm, .40 S&W, 45 ACP, etc.... Virtually same performance as Win 231. Burns a bit cleaner than 231 in my testing.

BIG chambering, when I want lower recoil........... TrailBoss Powder, also made by Hodgdon's IMR division. Used to come in 5 pound jugs, now, Federally restricted to 2 pounders. Choice of cowboy shooters. Hard to sometimes find, but not impossible in most instances.

I really like Hodgdon's BLC-(2) for rifle reloading. They advise that it's the commercial version of the military contract powder they make for the Gov't contracts. I figure that if it's good enough for military contracts (5.56 Nato), it's good enough for me. It's a ball powder, and flows much better than the extruded stick Varget does. Especially into those small necks of the 223 Rem. I try to also use it for as much rifle reloading as I can, 30-06, 308 Win, 7.62X54R, etc, etc, etc. Much easier to find than Varget.

My pistol powder of choice for many pistol cartridges is Hodgdon's TiteGroup. Also a dense ball powder, and works great with 9mm, .40 S&W, 45 ACP, etc.... Virtually same performance as Win 231. Burns a bit cleaner than 231 in my testing.

BIG chambering, when I want lower recoil........... TrailBoss Powder, also made by Hodgdon's IMR division. Used to come in 5 pound jugs, now, Federally restricted to 2 pounders. Choice of cowboy shooters. Hard to sometimes find, but not impossible in most instances.
I've been meaning to try BLC-2, just haven't run into it yet, and the few times there's been online sales at vendors it's been out of stock.

I swung by Shooters Outpost in Hooksett today on the way back from a ski date at Sunapee. No varget. No CFE 223. No 4064. No Vv140.

Did a Democrat get elected president and I not notice?

Luckily the NH wine and liquor outlet was well stocked. I’m medicinally treating my disappointment now.
wow thanks for the report. I need a few pounds of powder for 55 gr 223 loads. Wanted to try CFE after I finish off H335. I called SO last week and they didn’t have any H335 in stock.[/QUOTE]

I swung by Shooters Outpost in Hooksett today on the way back from a ski date at Sunapee. No varget. No CFE 223. No 4064. No Vv140.
Glenn's Ammo and Reloading in North Reading, MA had CFE 223 and I’m pretty sure the Vit powder I saw was 140?
He had H4350 which I hear is popular. No Varget. Lots of pistol powders.

I bought 2 pounds of H335 and 2 pounds of CFE 223

Scored some 4064 at Cabela’s today. So I’m all set for my favorites in .308 and 6.5 CM. I have things I can use for .223 just wanted to try Varget or fall back to CFE 223. But I have other things I can use. I have a road trip coming up to look.

I've been meaning to try BLC-2, just haven't run into it yet, and the few times there's been online sales at vendors it's been out of stock.

Me too. That and 2000MR. I want to try those with some SMK 77gr 5.56 tests.

Did a Democrat get elected president and I not notice?

No what happened is after Obamascare 1 the population of reloaders probably doubled or tripled, but the overall production of powder probably didn't go up that much. So when stress is put on the supply chain, it runs dry faster than it did in 2008.

-Mike

O Varget Where Art Thou?

MV5BNDMyMzkyMzgxN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzM3ODczNQ@@._V1_.jpg

Seriously, where is that crap? This has been going on for 3 years now? In the past I bought a jug each off of @76Too and @andrew1220 when they had extra or saw some pop up online, but this stuff is still unobtanium at any online vendor. Haven't seen any pop up locally either. Once I crank up the reloading this winter I'll probably drain a mostly full 8 lb jug, leaving one full jug in reserve. I use it for a variety of calibers and would prefer to avoid new zero's on all my damn match rifles. I even started using 2520 for .308 to reduce my Varget demand. Thankfully I'm getting great groups with the 2520.

At least Benchmark is back with availability at a couple of the usual outlets. It's my preferred powder for .223.

O Varget Where Art Thou?

Seriously, where is that crap? This has been going on for 3 years now? In the past I bought a jug each off of @76Too and @andrew1220 when they had extra or saw some pop up online, but this stuff is still unobtanium at any online vendor. Haven't seen any pop up locally either. Once I crank up the reloading this winter I'll probably drain a mostly full 8 lb jug, leaving one full jug in reserve. I use it for a variety of calibers and would prefer to avoid new zero's on all my damn match rifles. I even started using 2520 for .308 to reduce my Varget demand. Thankfully I'm getting great groups with the 2520.

At least Benchmark is back with availability at a couple of the usual outlets. It's my preferred powder for .223
Varget was available on-line earlier today (1 and 8 lb containers). I've seen it offered almost weekly over the last month or so. 1 pounders were available on the 14th from another on-line vendor, and 8 pounders were available from that same vendor a week earlier. Do you have the Discord server?

O Varget Where Art Thou?

At least Benchmark is back with availability at a couple of the usual outlets. It's my preferred powder for .223.

Its available but at ridiculous prices still. Hodgdon has it, but doesn’t ship to MA. I think someone posted that Cabelas had it recently

Larry has it at $56 for a 1 lb bottle. Add shipping and Hazmat......
That is absurd! Eff that guy. I’d quit shooting before I’d pay that.

This officially sucks ass. I’m doing alright, myself…but only because life tossed me two serious curveballs in the last year and I haven’t reloaded or shot anything except my Bren2ms since I moved to Kentucky 5 months ago.

Why didn’t we all prepare better? FFS. I should have bought 50,000 rounds of 7.62x39…10 pounds of Varget…200,000 primers.

I’m ‘over’ this shit, and I know you all are as well…but I’m at a point where I’ve literally lost all hope that anything that even resembles the ‘good old days’ of 2019 are ever coming back.

$60 for a pound of powder…f*** off with that shit.

That is absurd! Eff that guy. I’d quit shooting before I’d pay that.

This officially sucks ass. I’m doing alright, myself…but only because life tossed me two serious curveballs in the last year and I haven’t reloaded or shot anything except my Bren2ms since I moved to Kentucky 5 months ago.

Why didn’t we all prepare better? FFS. I should have bought 50,000 rounds of 7.62x39…10 pounds of Varget…200,000 primers.

I’m ‘over’ this shit, and I know you all are as well…but I’m at a point where I’ve literally lost all hope that anything that even resembles the ‘good old days’ of 2019 are ever coming back.

$60 for a pound of powder…f*** off with that shit.
Varget comes all the way from Australia by boat. Im surprised its been as cheap as it was.
Oh and yes tou should have bought a shit ton of wolf primers way back when you could have got them for $12/1000 shipped.
Or in 2017 when Nosler was darn near giving bullets away on SPS!
Yes after 3 relatively close “shortages” “ you “ should have stocked up.

Because at some level most of us (myself included) are/were f***ing skinflints when it comes to this shit, and we dont learn lessons the last time our asses got kicked, its only happened like 4 times in the last 20 years but we still dont learn. (this is the worst ive ever seen it, with primers and powder though). Hindsight being 20/20 most of us here would have been buying sleeves of primers every month and 4-8lb jugs of powder on the reg, amongst other things.

Its available but at ridiculous prices still. Hodgdon has it, but doesn’t ship to MA. I think someone posted that Cabelas had it recently
1lb price sucks, i get it from valley, have 3 8lb jugs now as i go through what is left of my 1lb cans. was fortunate enough to get 2 earlier when they were at $280 something, now it goes for $316. but it was in stock several times in last 2 weeks, just need the notification email setup at the shootingBOT.

O Varget Where Art Thou?

Lmao. As others have said it’s been in stock relatively often. I know the valley had 8 pounders today and even last week or the week before.
Shootingbot.com will give you a chance lol.

Back
Top Bottom