Varget shortage?

Does anybody know where Varget is available?

seems like everyplace is listing it as "out-of-stock"

Not sure about currently but the thread title evokes deja vu.... i always tell people, if theres a powder you like, try to lay in a big supply of it, as it doesn't take much to get a shortage. I remember a time during obamascare era where varget, unique, and others felt like they were made of unobtainium

I picked some up a jug from Cabela's like two weeks ago. If you're in a pinch and in the Worcester area I can let it go as my reloading schedule is at a snail's pace

Edit: just checked a couple of my distributors and they're all out too. Hmm..

Not sure about currently but the thread title evokes deja vu.... i always tell people, if theres a powder you like, try to lay in a big supply of it, as it doesn't take much to get a shortage. I remember a time during obamascare era where varget, unique, and others felt like they were made of unobtainium

This x1000

I seem to love CFE pistol and stocked up heavily for it. Same with H110, just in case.

Not sure where you are but you could try calling Al's in Derry NH. He usually is pretty well stocked for such a small place.

I learned. Find a powder I like...... buy 8 pounds. I too have looked for varget because I wanted to try it for 308 load development. No luck yet. I settled on IMR 4895 instead, which is probably pretty darn close for 308 reloading.

Powder, bullets and brass is like a 401K plan. You invest as much as possible while you are working so you can live off of it when you retire :)

I thought I read something about big military contracts using Varget, so it's hard to find it.
Don't recall where I read this or how valid an explanation it is.

Fires in Australia have something to do with it maybe? Iirc its made in there.

eta...

"From FB via NM posting

Hodgdon Powder Supply Update:
We just returned from the Big Rock Shooting Sports show held last week in Nashville, where we had a chance to sit down with the folks from Hodgdon (Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester powders.)
During 2019 the industry experienced shortages of some of Hodgdon's most popular powders, including Retumbo and H1000, and by the end of the year, Varget. These powders, as well as H4350, are shipped in barrels from Australia.

We asked Hodgdon why these shortages occurred, and what we should expect in 2020 ??

Going back to 2017 and early 2018 Hodgdon, and the whole industry were experiencing unusually poor demand. They made substantial government sales in 2017-2018 to soak up what they believed was excess supply at that time.

By late 2018 and 2019 demand was picking up again, especially for big case magnum powders. Unfortunately during this same period Hodgdon began experiencing supply problems from Australia. These problems are logistical and not related to production. Australia and steamship lines have new regulations concerning how much powder can be shipped on one vessel, how much powder can be in a container terminal at one time, and the hazard classification of the powder itself. Shipments were delayed and a few were even returned to the producer during 2019 due to these issues.

Hodgdon believes they are now ahead of the problems and will have more success shipping the Australian powders in 2020. Some is on the way now, which should make it into distribution by April. Varget, H1000 and H4350 should be back in distribution by April, Retumbo should be available sometime April to June.
Thanks for your interest!
January 12, 2020
Three Forks Ammo & Reloading"

eta2...

"POWDER UPDATE FAQ, JANUARY 31, 2020

Why can’t I find Hodgdon powders like H4350, Varget, Retumbo and H1000?

As you have seen, Hodgdon powders, especially rifle powders for long-range and precision shooting, can be difficult to find. Dealer shelves that were formerly filled with cans of powder now have empty spots. Here are answers to your questions straight from Hodgdon.

Q: Is Hodgdon still making powder?
A: Yes, we continue shipping powder as quickly as possible. In fact, we will ship more powder in 2020 than last year. The real problem behind empty dealer shelves is complicated, but is related to shifting supply and demand challenges. As supply decreased in 2019, demand only increased. No one wants to ship more powder than Hodgdon.

Q: What is causing the supply challenges?
A: Quite simply, our manufacturing facilities have not kept up with our orders. Additionally, military contracts began specifying Hodgdon powders in the last few years for military ammunition, impacting our supply. With expanded government regulation, shipping explosive and energetic materials has become more challenging, which also impacts available supply. Lastly, rapidly changing consumer preferences for different powder types has impacted both demand and supply. We worked with all Hodgdon providers to resolve open issues and expect powder supply to improve in 2020 as a result.

Q: Is Hodgdon still in business?
A: Yes, Hodgdon has been in business (and family owned) for over 70 years. We are here for the long haul and are doing everything we can to supply our powders to handloaders. Dealer shelves are empty because powder is purchased as soon as it arrives at the dealer’s stores but we will continue to ship more in 2020.

Q: Is the shortage of reloading powder being caused by Hodgdon shipping their powder to the ammunition manufacturing companies?
A: While Hodgdon does sell powder to ammunition manufacturing companies, more than 80% of our powder is sold to our core market - handloaders just like you. Hodgdon has always been committed to the individual handloader.

Q: When will I start to see more powder on dealer shelves?
A: While Hodgdon will continue to ship powder as rapidly as possible, we have a significant backlog in demand. Some powders will be in stock more quickly, but we believe it will take much of 2020 to improve availability for all powders.

Q: I have seen/heard many rumors and conjecture on powder shortages with Hodgdon Powder.
A: If you do not hear it directly from Hodgdon Powder Company, please be skeptical. "

Last edited:
"Why can’t I find Hodgdon powders like H4350, Varget, Retumbo and H1000?"

And somehow I ended up with one of each in my quest to reload various 30 Cal rifles

Always good advice. I regularly shoot matches in .30-06, .308, 7.5 Swiss, and occasionally 7.62x54R- all loaded with Varget. Also load my 6.5 ManBun with Varget. Though I had enough 1 lb jars to make it through 2019, I bought a 8 lb jug when on sale. Glad I did.

What is the shelf life of unopened powder? What is the shelf life for opened powder for that matter?
I cant remember what magazine I read it in but alliant was testing a batch of red dot for some dumb amount of time , stored in basic dry home conditions for like 70 years .... IIRC they stopped testing as they seen it as a waste of money.
I have powder from the eighties if its degraded i cant tell.
Honeslty i have no problem with sealed containers.

Does anybody know where Varget is available?

seems like everyplace is listing it as "out-of-stock"
remember most powders are made out side the USA and AFAIK only ball powder is made state zide in FL.
that said the manufactures have production runs. Smokeless powder takes some time to produce.
toss any delay in the manufactures supply line and backs up things even more.
Powder is like PPU ammo. Seems we are flooded with the stuff or waiting for more to come in.
This is also reloading season and the nationals are right around the corner so im sure plenty of folks stocked up over the holiday season. Especially with all the free shipping and Hazmat fees being dropped.
Buy in bulk. Im down to 4 reloaders on a group buy group. We often get the hazmat fee waived just on quantity.
Powder we do about every 15months but we buy only 8lb jugs and get a lot between the 5 of us.

I just checked all of my online vendors and they’re out.
I would call shooters outpost in Hooksett or Al’s in Derry.
Then there’s Glenn’s ammo and reloading in N. Reading.

Shooters had two today (Sunday). Only one when I left....[laugh]
Edit: should have added that they had a bunch of 1 lb'ers but only the two 8's. And I saw Retumbo as well.

Plenty of Varget online. $219 for a jug. Last one I bought was $80. Yikes.
Would you mind PMing me the vendor? I have a fair amount of component vendors but all of them are sold out. Even vendors that don't ship to MA are sold out. I don't actually need/use Varget - just curious where you found some.

Anyone ever try Shooters World Precision? It is supposed to be a Varget clone according to Ken Johnson of Shooters World on a PRM podcast #130 I just listened to. After reading this test below, it sounds promising.

Post | reloadingallday.com

Anyone ever try Shooters World Precision? It is supposed to be a Varget clone according to Ken Johnson of Shooters World on a PRM podcast #130 I just listened to. After reading this test below, it sounds promising.

Post | reloadingallday.com
i was going to grab some when SW powders where "new" to the US market it was close to half price of comparable powder. Although its going to be a few years before i get close to needing more powder.
I was going to get a jug of their cowbow powder but found a jug of trail boss locally

[laugh] I don't reload rifle all that often, but for 30-06 and 7.5x55 I use IMR-4064. For .223 55 gr loads, H335.
There are other powders for sure.
my plinking 223 55 grainers are still being stuffed with W844 surplus . Going to take a long while to use that stash up. Its a bit like 335. Although it seems to leave less of a mess in my barrel.
RL15 is another comparable to varget.
i float between varget and H4895 depending on price and availability.

I cant remember what magazine I read it in but alliant was testing a batch of red dot for some dumb amount of time , stored in basic dry home conditions for like 70 years .... IIRC they stopped testing as they seen it as a waste of money.
I have powder from the eighties if its degraded i cant tell.
Honeslty i have no problem with sealed containers.

I have personally used 25+ year old Win231 without issue. Stored in original (opened) container in a dry basement.

Ended up with some old unopened powders in a recent trade. I have nine lbs. of Reloder 12, for which I had to find and buy an old Alliant Reloader's Guide, in order to have published load data to use...
Powder is fine, and I'll try and use it instead of that Varget I just got...for practice loads anyway.

Back
Top Bottom