• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vancouver IPSC incident.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/vancouver/2017/06/12/vancouver-man-dies-after-shooting-competition-accident.html

Members of a Kamloops shooting range are in shock after a seasoned visitor from Vancouver accidentally shot himself in the torso this weekend during a competition Sunday.

A Facebook post from the Vancouver-based Canadian Tactical Cowboy Supplies identified him as Dr. Richard Cho, an experienced competition shooter and an International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC)-certified "Black Badge" instructor.

"Today the B.C. shooting community mourns the loss of a shining star," the business said on its Facebook page alongside a photograph of Cho. "(He) was a husband, healer, athlete, teacher, student and all-around great guy.

"… We are truly in Rich's debt. Our thoughts are with his wife and his family."[/quote]

Sad.

I met someone years ago in WA who told me he did that with a Glock and blew away his lower jaw.

So, don't rely on firing pin blocks. Just don't try to grab a falling gun!

There is no in between here, either you let it fall and rely on the FP block or you grab it on the way down.

Sad.

I met someone years ago in WA who told me he did that with a Glock and blew away his lower jaw.

Glocks are safe to drop so his must've malfunctioned in an unfortunately spectacular manner. Was it modified?

Sad.

i think he meant, do rely on the firing pin block "by" letting it fall. Old guns without one are more likely to discharge when they hit the ground.

It is very common for IPSC competitors to use handguns based on the series 70 1911 design without a firing pin block. That being said, letting the gun fall is still safest since (a) except at indoor events, the floor is usually dirt, not cement, and will probably not provide an quick enough stop for the intertial firing pin to discharge the gun, and (b) It generally takes an on-muzzle drop for the gun to go off. Still safest to just let the old 1911's fall.

Glocks are safe to drop so his must've malfunctioned in an unfortunately spectacular manner. Was it modified?
I think the poster meant that the in-duh-vidual tried to grab the falling gun.

Not meaning to out anyone, but I saw something during Sunday's match which could have resulted in a situation like this. The guy's slide was stuck and after trying to pull it back using normal methods, while holding the slide with one hand he smacked the heal of the pistol with his other hand. He lost his grip on the slide and the gun flipped in the air with everyone in disbelief at what just happened. Needless to say but he was free to run the timer for the rest of the day.

Not meaning to out anyone, but I saw something during Sunday's match which could have resulted in a situation like this. The guy's slide was stuck and after trying to pull it back using normal methods, while holding the slide with one hand he smacked the heal of the pistol with his other hand. He lost his grip on the slide and the gun flipped in the air with everyone in disbelief at what just happened. Needless to say but he was free to run the timer for the rest of the day.
Where was this?

Harvard USPSA?

If the gun was still stuck (open?) it was probably out of battery and well incapable of firing. Unsafe? Probably... but hardly the worst thing I've ever seen at the
range... far far from it. Or did it get stuck at thee "show clear" part?

-Mike

That sucks. From the description of the guy it sounds like he knew what he was doing too. Not a newb. It's been a very long time since I dropped a gun but I'm pretty sure it was my (only at the time) 1911 and it was unloaded. The rear sight still has the scar.

R.I.P. Mr Cho.

ETA: Not that this has anything to do with this incident (though it might), but twice so far at pistol competitions this year have I seen Glocks discharge when the user's finger was outside of the trigger guard.
Both times the gun burped out a couple rounds FA, and both times the gun had a Zev trigger in it.

Last edited:
In the Harvard example, in the middle of the course of fire and stuck closed, the only way he would know it was stuck closed or there was anything wrong was if he had pulled the trigger and it went click but not bang. If the trigger had already been pulled, wouldn't the striker or hammer need to be re-cocked for there to be any actual risk? Is there a scenario/type of gun where there would be actual risk in what he did? I am assuming when he smacked the gun, it only dislodged from his grip and did not cock it.

Harvard

- - - Updated - - -

It was in the middle of the course of fire, and it was stuck closed.

Last edited:
ETA: Not that this has anything to do with this incident (though it might), but twice so far at pistol competitions this year have I seen Glocks discharge when the user's finger was outside of the trigger guard.
Both times the gun burped out a couple rounds FA, and both times the gun had a Zev trigger in it.
I love it when people spend a ton of money modding their Glocks, fully convinced that it will make up for their lack of skill. Sigh.

In the Harvard example, in the middle of the course of fire and stuck closed, the only way he would know it was stuck closed or there was anything wrong was if he had pulled the trigger and it went click but not bang. If the trigger had already been pulled, wouldn't the striker or hammer need to be re-cocked for there to be any actual risk? Is there a scenario/type of gun where there would be actual risk in what he did? I am assuming when he smacked the gun, it only dislodged from his grip and did not cock it.

If a 1911 is out of battery the trigger will not drop the hammer.

It's still not safe handling of the firearm if it goes cavorting off into the air. So even if it couldn't fire, it's easy enough to understand how it's a disqualification in a competition.

Correct but if the drop is from a height high enough to overcome the FP spring and the gun lands muzzle first, it could possibly discharge if it's a traditional (series 70) design.
One of the "biggies" in 1911s (not a high end niche player) was able to get their 1911s to discharge with a 3ft drop. The circumstances under which I was told implied confidentiality as to the specifics.

It is very common for IPSC competitors to use handguns based on the series 70 1911 design without a firing pin block. That being said, letting the gun fall is still safest since (a) except at indoor events, the floor is usually dirt, not cement, and will probably not provide an quick enough stop for the intertial firing pin to discharge the gun, and (b) It generally takes an on-muzzle drop for the gun to go off. Still safest to just let the old 1911's fall.

A titanium firing pin and extra strength firing pin retaining spring will reduce the chance of such a discharge.

So did he try catching the falling firearm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I read. He was shooting open so most likely an S_I, was shooting through a port w a door, and the door hit his gun as he was exiting position and starting a reload, knocking it out of his hand.

That's what I read. He was shooting open so most likely an S_I, was shooting through a port w a door, and the door hit his gun as he was exiting position and starting a reload, knocking it out of his hand.
Every stage I've seen that had a door, was set up to make sure that the door was held back once opened and didn't close on the shooter. Sad that something so silly lead to a lethal outcome.

Every stage I've seen that had a door, was set up to make sure that the door was held back once opened and didn't close on the shooter. Sad that something so silly lead to a lethal outcome.

I've seen doors open both out and in. If you aren't careful and open the door across your body, I could see knocking the weapon out of your hand.

One of the "biggies" in 1911s (not a high end niche player) was able to get their 1911s to discharge with a 3ft drop. The circumstances under which I was told implied confidentiality as to the specifics.

"Able to?" Was this an experimental sort of thing, or an error?

Here's an example of a drop test on a 1911 that results in a discharge. Drop occurs at 0:29.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom