• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Value "Precision" rifle, which one?

IMHO buy the optic and mounts first, f*** everything else. It's almost more important than the gun is. Or make sure you're getting the optic you want, I'll put it that way... then spend the rest of the money on the gun. I had a Savage FP10 that I bought used that was intrinsically pretty friggan accurate, but the garbage optic that the previous owner had put on it literally ruined the experience of running the rifle in the long term. Fighting for focus, fighting for light/contrast... made the whole thing annoying to use. Oh and the fact that the turrets were so cheap they weren't even marked, that should have been a warning sign. It made it a total hose job to switch between the cheap shit and FGMM .308 that I was buying at the time (for like $15 a box lol, those were the days.... ) I ended up dumping the whole setup because I could not afford what it cost to set the rifle up properly.

The other thing with good optics is even if you end up hating the rifle and get rid of it the optic will travel well to a new rifle that replaces it...

-Mike

For anyone still reading or looking along similar lines, I've got my hand on a few of the rifles and think i can narrow it down to,

Tikka T3x Tac a1 = $1550
Tikka T3x CTR + KRG Bravo Chassis = $1205

And the wild card of the bunch,

Patriot Valley Arms "John Hancock" = $2000

Own a Tikka CTR that I put in an XLR chassis. Gun is sub MOA. Really nice bolt as well. Spend an additional $10-20 on a YoDave spring will get your trigger down to less than a pound.

Interesting you mention Patriot Valley Arms. Although I don't have any personal experience, it's been getting a lot of love on snipershide, but it's a little more than you want to spend and I think you're looking at wait times of a couple of months.

Finally, the best shooting bolt action I own is a Sig SSG3000. No longer in production, but new they were only $1500 with some people finding them at Walmart (yes Walmart) for substantially less. Might be able to pick up a used one on gun broker. However, some people are not crazy about the stock.

Own a Tikka CTR that I put in an XLR chassis. Gun is sub MOA. Really nice bolt as well. Spend an additional $10-20 on a YoDave spring will get your trigger down to less than a pound.

Interesting you mention Patriot Valley Arms. Although I don't have any personal experience, it's been getting a lot of love on snipershide, but it's a little more than you want to spend and I think you're looking at wait times of a couple of months.

Finally, the best shooting bolt action I own is a Sig SSG3000. No longer in production, but new they were only $1500 with some people finding them at Walmart (yes Walmart) for substantially less. Might be able to pick up a used one on gun broker. However, some people are not crazy about the stock.

I've actually handled a SSG3000, was sold in an hour for $3k.

My original budget is long since shot, PVA it will be :)

Can’t wait for pics, what did you get? I am currently in a debate with myself on wether or not I sell my .308 700 LTR to buy something in 6.5 or not... I really really really need a 6.5. Really!

Can’t wait for pics, what did you get? I am currently in a debate with myself on wether or not I sell my .308 700 LTR to buy something in 6.5 or not... I really really really need a 6.5. Really!

Patriot Valley Arms "John Hancock" in 6.5 creedmoor. Will be a few months before it ships.

For anyone still reading or looking along similar lines, I've got my hand on a few of the rifles and think i can narrow it down to,

Tikka T3x Tac a1 = $1550
Tikka T3x CTR + KRG Bravo Chassis = $1205

And the wild card of the bunch,

Patriot Valley Arms "John Hancock" = $2000

How did you manage to find a price for the Tikka CTR with a $350 chassis so low? Maybe I paid too much for my gun, 1125(I realize it can be had online for 1 grand but buying local was important for me) and I am looking at a new stock for it

Your choice looks like it will be one fine rifle

How did you manage to find a price for the Tikka CTR with a $350 chassis so low? Maybe I paid too much for my gun, 1125(I realize it can be had online for 1 grand but buying local was important for me) and I am looking at a new stock for it

Your choice looks like it will be one fine rifle

There are a number of online retailer that offer a function that works around MAP pricing by sending a price to your email... after a quick check, currently the T3x CTR in 6.5 is $836 as of now.

I'm excited to try the Bravo, as it gets good reviews. I'm also hoping KRG had accommodations to put their T1x rim fire into the Bravo as well

thanks, I got the 24" stainless barrel and am happy with it so far.
I hope you get it soon, I bet the wait will be worth it. good luck

Thank you kindly. Enjoy the Tikka, they are in my mind the absolute best there is as far as big name gun makers. I would have been more than happy had I gone that route myself.

I'm currently obsessing about optics... what way did you go?

Nightforce precision benchrest 12-42x56 NP-R2 reticle, I managed to get it for 10% less than the 1428 it is sold everywhere. A thousand cheaper than the Competition model so I am good with that. I like it so far, I put it on Nightforce rings. Scope cost more that the gun which is fine with me. Just need some warmer weather to get out more often and use it.

Nightforce precision benchrest 12-42x56 NP-R2 reticle, I managed to get it for 10% less than the 1428 it is sold everywhere. A thousand cheaper than the Competition model so I am good with that. I like it so far, I put it on Nightforce rings. Scope cost more that the gun which is fine with me. Just need some warmer weather to get out more often and use it.

Very nice :) I'd love to hear a range report after the warmer weather hits

I had my heart in the Kahles 624i, but even at a substantial discount I think I would rather spend the money on ammo...

Right now I'm leaning Steiner T5xi 5-25 or the Athlon Cronus BTR... both of those put me at $1k less than the Kahles, which is 800 rounds of factory match grade ammo. Thats a lot of shooting, I just don't want to regret it after.

Repost—-
I have a Savage 110BA in 300WM with a Nightforce 5-25x56 ATACR SFP with the Nightforce 34mm rings.
Highly recommended! It is the brightest clearest scope I’ve ever looked through.
Rifle is also very nice but very heavy.
The combo with a bipod is 20lbs.

you're way way way way off! You need this!

Howa or go Homa!

Howa American Flag Chassis Rifle – Legacy Sports International

howa-american-flag-rifle-small-bolt-handle-26-hb-square-1024x350.png

I can put in a vote for the Ruger precision rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. I really love this rifle. There were no black ones anywhere so I ordered on online (and it shipped to an FFL comrade Maura) and it was the camo model. First 17 rounds shot 1/2 and less MOA with Hornady American gunner 140gr BTHP.

I added a Primary arms platinum 6-30 DEKA. I finally get why good optics make the difference . I can actually see and see well! The platinum line is pricey, this scope was $1500. But they supposedly rival night force as they are supposedly made in the same factories in Japan. I tend to believe this as in my situation, I like it more than my Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25 for clarity and the chevron reticle is really precise.

I will someday do a tracking test on both scopes and see how Vortex at $1100 and Primary arms platinum at $1500 does mechanically.

Back to the rifle, my only concern is the plastic bolt take down tool. It bent and wore down after taking the bolt apart twice because it slipped and flew out. I bought a metal one online with a new shroud kit.

Can't wait to develop my hand loads and see what it can do at distance. I attached some pics, yes I do have bedsheets, they were in the wash

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180331-150513_Range Buddy.jpg
    Screenshot_20180331-150513_Range Buddy.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20180401_112600_168.jpg
    IMG_20180401_112600_168.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 25445.jpeg
    25445.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 25444.jpeg
    25444.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 45
... Can't wait to develop my hand loads and see what it can do at distance. I attached some pics, yes I do have bedsheets, they were in the wash

And, a Labradar! Excellent. Curious, what kind of tracking results are you getting distance wise?

Let us know when you get it and how you like it. I was very tempted to get one of these from Josh at PVA.

I suspect another month or two best case. It seems demand given the price point is through the roof. I really love the "custom action" idea that I can still do work on at home... swap barrels, change calibers all with out needing a trip back to the gunsmith. Josh and Ted are well known for building product that is .5 MOA or better and it seems like this should be no different. My skills on the other hand will be quickly exposed as "flawed" as I wont be able to blame the gun or the optic anymore!

I suspect another month or two best case. It seems demand given the price point is through the roof. I really love the "custom action" idea that I can still do work on at home... swap barrels, change calibers all with out needing a trip back to the gunsmith. Josh and Ted are well known for building product that is .5 MOA or better and it seems like this should be no different. My skills on the other hand will be quickly exposed as "flawed" as I wont be able to blame the gun or the optic anymore!
I got a 26" Bartlein barrel from Josh for my RPR. He does great work but I was recently reading somewhere that he was backed up due to some moving issues and the amount of orders he's received.

I can put in a vote for the Ruger precision rifle in 6.5 creedmoor. I really love this rifle. There were no black ones anywhere so I ordered on online (and it shipped to an FFL comrade Maura) and it was the camo model. First 17 rounds shot 1/2 and less MOA with Hornady American gunner 140gr BTHP.

I added a Primary arms platinum 6-30 DEKA. I finally get why good optics make the difference . I can actually see and see well! The platinum line is pricey, this scope was $1500. But they supposedly rival night force as they are supposedly made in the same factories in Japan. I tend to believe this as in my situation, I like it more than my Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25 for clarity and the chevron reticle is really precise.

I will someday do a tracking test on both scopes and see how Vortex at $1100 and Primary arms platinum at $1500 does mechanically.

Back to the rifle, my only concern is the plastic bolt take down tool. It bent and wore down after taking the bolt apart twice because it slipped and flew out. I bought a metal one online with a new shroud kit.

Can't wait to develop my hand loads and see what it can do at distance. I attached some pics, yes I do have bedsheets, they were in the wash

Nice rifle, and great shooting! What was the ES fps for the Hornady ammo?

Please do report on tracking differences between the Primary and the Vortex optics. Also note that you might see a difference in extreme cold. I use a Leupold VX3 LRP on my self built 6.5 CM gas gun and it has awesome tracking when switching back and forth between targets at 400, 600, 800, and 1000 yards. It tracks the same from 90F down to below 0F. I've shot it in weather as cold as -3F. I also have a relatively cheap Millett that's on my 50 BMG now and it tracks great in normal weather. In extreme cold, the Millett turrets get tight and hang up, so you end up chasing the POI. For $400 it's fine within its limitations but NFG for all weather conditions.

I got a 26" Bartlein barrel from Josh for my RPR. He does great work but I was recently reading somewhere that he was backed up due to some moving issues and the amount of orders he's received.

New shop and new tooling... and yes, huge backlog due to the John Hancock and barreled actions

Nice rifle, and great shooting! What was the ES fps for the Hornady ammo?

Please do report on tracking differences between the Primary and the Vortex optics. Also note that you might see a difference in extreme cold. I use a Leupold VX3 LRP on my self built 6.5 CM gas gun and it has awesome tracking when switching back and forth between targets at 400, 600, 800, and 1000 yards. It tracks the same from 90F down to below 0F. I've shot it in weather as cold as -3F. I also have a relatively cheap Millett that's on my 50 BMG now and it tracks great in normal weather. In extreme cold, the Millett turrets get tight and hang up, so you end up chasing the POI. For $400 it's fine within its limitations but NFG for all weather conditions.
ES on the Hornady American gunner is 45fps. SD is 15. (labradar chronograph)

ES on the Hornady American gunner is 45fps. SD is 15. (labradar chronograph)

Thanks- that's not too bad for factory. You can probably do better once you are reloading but you'll have to be precise with the charge weights and select a powder that has a sweet spot where you want it. I've had pretty good luck with my Varget loads for 6.5CM:

Series 9 Shots: 5 6.5 CM
Min 2763 Max 2780 Hornady 123 gr ELD
Avg 2770 S-D 7.4 39.0 Varget
ES 17

Series Shot Speed
9 1 2765 ft/s
9 2 2780 ft/s
9 3 2777 ft/s
9 4 2763 ft/s
9 5 2769 ft/s

Was trying the 123 ELD's because I heard they ran well in a gas gun. Seems to be true.

Here's how Winchester Factory Match 140's ran for me:

Series 1 Shots: 5 AR-6.5CM
Min 2612 Max 2705 Win Match 140
Avg 2655 S-D 34.5
ES 93

Series Shot Speed
1 1 2650 ft/s
1 2 2642 ft/s
1 3 2670 ft/s
1 4 2705 ft/s
1 5 2612 ft/s

So about twice the SD and ES as your Hornady ammo.

Thanks- that's not too bad for factory. You can probably do better once you are reloading but you'll have to be precise with the charge weights and select a powder that has a sweet spot where you want it. I've had pretty good luck with my Varget loads for 6.5CM:

Series 9 Shots: 5 6.5 CM
Min 2763 Max 2780 Hornady 123 gr ELD
Avg 2770 S-D 7.4 39.0 Varget
ES 17

Series Shot Speed
9 1 2765 ft/s
9 2 2780 ft/s
9 3 2777 ft/s
9 4 2763 ft/s
9 5 2769 ft/s

Was trying the 123 ELD's because I heard they ran well in a gas gun. Seems to be true.

Here's how Winchester Factory Match 140's ran for me:

Series 1 Shots: 5 AR-6.5CM
Min 2612 Max 2705 Win Match 140
Avg 2655 S-D 34.5
ES 93

Series Shot Speed
1 1 2650 ft/s
1 2 2642 ft/s
1 3 2670 ft/s
1 4 2705 ft/s
1 5 2612 ft/s

So about twice the SD and ES as your Hornady ammo.
Bullets arrive tomorrow. 147gr ELD-M. Primers are Federal GM205M, powder is H4350, brass is Starline, small rifle primer. Brass will be neck turned, and annealed every firing on an AMP annealer. Really going for a long range low SD, low ES load. Also working on a hunting load with 143gr ELD X for deer.

Back
Top Bottom