• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vacuum Sealer

I've been looking at vacuum sealers but can't decide what to get. I'll be using it mostly for food and maybe some BOB ammo. I don't know what to look for. Only looking to spend about 200 or so but I've seen them up to 1,000.
They all do the same job right? Any help or reviews is appreciated.

I've got a FoodSaver that I picked up at Walmart for about $80. It's this one:

FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer - Walmart.com

I have been using it for two years, and it has worked perfectly. I mostly use it to split up large meat purchases for freezing, but I have sealed up a lot of 'supplies' as well.

Bags can be purchased pretty cheaply online in large rolls.

I'm not sure what the expensive ones do better. Maybe higher volumes with longer run-times? This one pulls a vacuum and seals the bags airtight, which is all I need it to do.

I'm not sure what the expensive ones do better. Maybe higher volumes with longer run-times? This one pulls a vacuum and seals the bags airtight, which is all I need it to do.

The more expensive ones may have an variable vacuum which is useful if you don't want to crush things. Another nice feature is an attachment point for a can (mason jar) sealer. This is very useful for storing rice and macaroni because they will crumble and the sharp edges will eventually puncture the bag.

The bags on a roll are excellent for keeping trunk guns clean and dry.

the Mrs. and I got this one for our wedding: FoodSaver® V3835 Vacuum Sealer Kit at FoodSaver.com.

we always say it's by far the best wedding gift we got (even trumps some gun stuff we got). like mclina we use it to separate large meat purchases from BJ's. I have used it for get-home-bag stuff (fire starting materials, ammo, etc.) only issue is if you are packing away a lot of items the heat element can over heat and you have to give it a break, sometimes you might not get a good seal because of that. our model has a normal setting and a gentle setting which varies the power of the suction. Ours has been going good for 3 years now, if it breaks magically I have no issues going out that day to get another one.

Another use is marinating meats. I like to put some steak tips in the bag and then pour in my marinade. then seal it up in the bag and the marinade gets sucked right into the meat. Let it sit for a day then unseal the bag and only about 10 of the marinade you put in will be in the bag the rest stays in the meat. I definitely adds to the flavors...

Another use is marinating meats. I like to put some steak tips in the bag and then pour in my marinade. then seal it up in the bag and the marinade gets sucked right into the meat. Let it sit for a day then unseal the bag and only about 10 of the marinade you put in will be in the bag the rest stays in the meat. I definitely adds to the flavors...

Ohhh, good idea!

Thanks for the input! I forgot to mention meat, as I hunt and don't want my animal to go to waste. Good idea with the marinade, ill have to try that. I'll prolly pick one up before the weekend and get to it

I bought one a few years back... I would get large cuts of beef (rib eye primals, tenderloins, etc.) cut them up, vacuum pack, then freeze what I wasn't going to eat within a few days. As long as you get a good seal on the bags (don't get the cheap bags) you can have stuff in the freezer for many months (or over a year) without any damage (freezer burn).

With FoodSaver you can also get their containers (provided you have the port on the main unit) to store things. I actually have several of those containers, that I'm not using.

BTW, mine has the dry/wet suction setting and you can hit 'seal' pretty much whenever you want. So if it looks like you're starting to crush the item, you can stop the vacuum and get it to seal it up.

Last edited:
i've also got the Wallyworld Food Saver (with front port) works great for those bulk purchases.....
once in a while a bag will unseal for some reason...... not often... i have 100 primed .308 cases (in the plastic holders the rounds originally came in) vacuum sealed in a bag that came unsealed after a week or so.....
but usually they hold really well....

i haven't tried the containers yet........

The more expensive ones may have an variable vacuum which is useful if you don't want to crush things. Another nice feature is an attachment point for a can (mason jar) sealer. This is very useful for storing rice and macaroni because they will crumble and the sharp edges will eventually puncture the bag.

The bags on a roll are excellent for keeping trunk guns clean and dry.

+1

I have a food saver that is going strong after 10 years of owning it. Would buy another without reservation. I always buy the rolls so I can make bags any size I want. This is also great for camping, no tainted "cooler water" food.

also... my fridge has an ice maker in the freezer...... periodically i empty that into a vacuum bag and bring the bagged ice down to my stand up freezer in the basement...... ready supply of ice for impromptu parties, also good for when the freezer isn't full of food, i still have frozen mass taking up the volume in case of power failure..... (i'm on the same grid as the hospital so, we rarely if ever lose power and when we do it's never, knock wood, been more than 2 hours.... but still......)

I have been using it for two years, and it has worked perfectly. I mostly use it to split up large meat purchases for freezing, but I have sealed up a lot of 'supplies' as well.

Bags can be purchased pretty cheaply online in large rolls.

Can you do mason jars with this model?

Can you do mason jars with this model?

The sealer has a port for a vacuume hose but you'll also need to purchase the mason jar sealer seperatly.
You'll need two if you are planning on sealing both regular and wide mouth jars.

You can get mason jar sealers in regular and wide mouth versions. IF the FoodSaver has the hose and port on it you can use it with these. Just like the FoodSaver containers.

I have used the cheaper vacusealer and if you are buying food in quantity it would not keep up, we bought a professional one from Cabela's. We got it on sale for 300, but originally 500. It was well worth the money spent.

"They all do the same job right?" Generally speaking yes. Like a few have mentioned Food Saver is a good brand.

The bag material can get pricey.....

We grabbed one at Cabelas for around $200. It does not have the feature of selecting the vacuum level so, whenever I vacuum packed homemade jerky, the sharp edges cut the bag. To eliminate this problem I wrapped the jerky in paper towels which kept the jerky from poking through the plastic bag. I also throw in an oxygen eater just in case.

The one problem I do encounter is that the heat sealer overheats and the unit shuts down until it cools off. This usually isn't a problem until we start process venison. Then it can easily overheat.

We grabbed one at Cabelas for around $200. It does not have the feature of selecting the vacuum level so, whenever I vacuum packed homemade jerky, the sharp edges cut the bag. To eliminate this problem I wrapped the jerky in paper towels which kept the jerky from poking through the plastic bag. I also throw in an oxygen eater just in case.

The one problem I do encounter is that the heat sealer overheats and the unit shuts down until it cools off. This usually isn't a problem until we start process venison. Then it can easily overheat.

That is why we went with the commercial one from Cabelas.

Back
Top Bottom