• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Vacation next week in NH, what can i bring?

It's NH. You are more free there than you are here with an LTC. Consider getting a NH non res LTC. Fairly quick, painless, and cheap.

Nh doesn't have an LTC.

As long as everything is unloaded in the car, and nothing is carried "concealed" it isn't necessary. Open carry (outside of a car) is legal for anyone not prohibited. If you would like to carry concealed apply for a P&R permit.

Nh doesn't have an LTC.

As long as everything is unloaded in the car, and nothing is carried "concealed" it isn't necessary. Open carry (outside of a car) is legal for anyone not prohibited. If you would like to carry concealed apply for a P&R permit.

Yes, it is actually a Non resident Pistol / Revolver License. Used LTC for the MA folk for expediency. Obviously that backfired on me.

Yes, it is actually a Non resident Pistol / Revolver License. Used LTC for the MA folk for expediency. Obviously that backfired on me.
Your explanation was simple, which is good.

It's different than an LTC in MA.

Again... Carry anything you want unloaded anywhere you want.
If you want to carry loaded, either concealed or in a vehicle you need a P&R license.
You can't have a loaded long gun in a vehicle regardless of license.
If you want to open carry do that (assumes you aren't in a car).

Not trying to call you out. It's just different so I try to differentiate.

Not 100% correct - as you can carry a loaded handgun concealed and in a car with a LTC in Mass...to have the same level of freedom in NH you would need a NH Pistol permit.

How about all those great "Mass Compliant Rifles" that are now felonies? You can buy a gun with a DL in NH. Any gun.

Hey guys, headed to NH for some much needed relaxation next week. Can I bring a rifle for plinking etc..... Thanks guys.
Have you gone crazy?? Do you want to lose your Mass LTC while your on vacation? Before you do anything completely against the law and put countless citizens of NH in danger let me check.......oh never mind it looks like your good to go with most anything you'd want to bring. WAIT!!...hold it another minute, I almost forgot to check the office of the New Hampshire Attorney General because surely they have some "real" common sense gun laws to prevent gun violence and protect the citizens of New Hampshire from themselves....oh never mind it looks like they don't. Enjoy your vacation.

Not 100% correct - as you can carry a loaded handgun concealed and in a car with a LTC in Mass...to have the same level of freedom in NH you would need a NH Pistol permit.

But in NH you can have the magazine right with the pistol (no round in the chamber) sitting right out in the open and have zero issues.

Get a non-res P&R and you'll be able to carry concealed just like a resident. Plus, if you open carry while walking around, 99.9995% of people in NH (or at least of those that live here) won't be alarmed or say boo... If anything they might ask what you're carrying.

With the OP talking about going next week, just open carry and follow the rules on the books (crazy easy).

OP mentioned he wanted to bring a rifle, for plinking, to NH.

Just to clarify = rifle must be unloaded while being transferred/kept/stored, in a moving vehicle.

FWIW - I believe that law goes back to NH attempting to reduce hunting-rifle related gunshot injuries.

Last edited:
Bring your cigarette lighter and about $50 for fireworks. I was up in Maine on a lake last week doing canister mortars that go up hundreds of feet. The family loved it.

When I lived in Mass I got a non resident NH CC permit and it was painless, Concord State Police gave it to me in less than 2 weeks after I applied.

This is a felony. Please don't suggest this.

No way a NH resident would get hung out to dry on this, since even the Mass AG doesn't seem to know what's legal. The Mass buyer will be in possession of an unregistered AW if they bring it home.

- - - Updated - - -

But in NH you can have the magazine right with the pistol (no round in the chamber) sitting right out in the open and have zero issues.

Get a non-res P&R and you'll be able to carry concealed just like a resident. Plus, if you open carry while walking around, 99.9995% of people in NH (or at least of those that live here) won't be alarmed or say boo... If anything they might ask what you're carrying.

With the OP talking about going next week, just open carry and follow the rules on the books (crazy easy).

So just pull the mag and chambered round and put it in your pocket, right? Then you can carry concealed.

Hey guys, headed to NH for some much needed relaxation next week. Can I bring a rifle for plinking etc..... Thanks guys.

Do your shooting at a range, on your own land or with permission from a local landowner.

New Hampshire is not "Planet Gun".

There are "no target shooting" signs popping up allover many rural towns in Southern NH. Next step will be the locals posting their land. Trees are not a backstop !

No way a NH resident would get hung out to dry on this, since even the Mass AG doesn't seem to know what's legal. The Mass buyer will be in possession of an unregistered AW if they bring it home.

- - - Updated - - -

So just pull the mag and chambered round and put it in your pocket, right? Then you can carry concealed.
Yes, they could and they would. Face to face sales across state lines are federal felonies. It doesn't matter if it's a single shot .22 being sold.

Depending on where you go Wally World tries to enforces mass law, Ma. Permit required to purchase ammo and they will not accept a NH carry permit.

Any dammed thing you like. Especially bring and spend plenty of your money. We have cheaper booze, lots of ammo and fireworks to make your trip extra killy. Have fun and by all means bring some friends.[party][banana]

Back
Top Bottom