Vacation in Texas with MA LTC? How?

Hello folks!

Long story short, i'm going on my first vacation of my life to Dallas and possibly also Houston this November. I have traveled before but never to this extent usually keeping it local with Boston or New York trips. But to push myself to do some life goals, I decided to visit Texas like I always wanted and see a few celebrities I admire in the process.

My main thing is, how does one still exercise his second amendment rights in a state so far away? I know with say rhode island you have to get a visitors license or whatever it's called so that you can carry in Rhode Island. But I know Texas's gun laws are extremely lax. and their will also be no layover on my flight.

It's honestly not the end of the world if I can't, If it's not realistic than it is what it is as I only have 4 months. But is their any way for me to transport a licensed firearm from MA to Dallas for a weekend?

I have no idea how it works. So forgive me. I have looked it up and it's a mumble jumble of different conclusions. I know a few people here who have always helped me with concerns and such.

Hope everyone had a great independence day. God bless.

I am assuming you are from MA.

Texas recognizes your MA LTC.
End of story -- enjoy your vacation.

As an aside -- In what way are Texas gun laws, "extremely lax"?

:emoji_tiger:

If I had a nickel for every time attorney Andrew "@Law of Self Defense" Branca wrote
"you can't shoot someone to protect property"
and then had to add "...(except in Texas)"...
=====
P. S. OP shouldn't go shooting people to protect property
while he's in Texas on vacation without reading up on the fine art...

There are more places you cannot legally carry in TX than MA.

Texas is not the gun utopia some people make it out to be. Make sure you are aware of all local laws including laws on signage.

Last year I worked in San Antonio a lot and saw a ton of signs prohibiting carry down there. You will need to read up and recognize....30.06 and 30.07 signage
There are more places you cannot legally carry in TX than MA.

Texas is not the gun utopia some people make it out to be. Make sure you are aware of all local laws including laws on signage.

Actually the penalty for disobeying this was just seemingly changed in Texas. Now it seems more like MA where the business has to verbally tell you leave if they find out you're carrying.

See: Texas Governor Signs 10 Pro-Gun Bills Into Law

House Bill 121 by Rep. Valoree Swanson (R-Spring) & Sen. Brandon Creighton (R-Conroe) provides a legal defense for License To Carry holders who unknowingly enter establishments with 30.06 or 30.07 signs, as long they promptly leave when verbally informed of the policy.

Things to know carrying in TX...

30.06 signs are binding and prohibit concealed carry (though this has been watered down)
30.07 signs are binding and prohibit open carry (though this has been watered down)
When they passed the law allowing open carry (like 3 or 4 years ago), suddenly LOTS of places that had no signage posted 30.06 and 30.07. They all decided they did not want open carry and why not ban concealed at the same time. Unintended consequences..

If a bar has 51% of its revenue from liquor you will see a sign with 51% in red notifying you it is illegal to carry in the establishment. This is binding

You can use deadly force to protect property.

If you are in your car and someone tries to open your door, stick their hand through the window, stick their hand through an open door, etc, you can use deadly force.

I could go pull out all the class material that is mandatory and used to get your TX concealed permit (resident and non-resident), but these are some of the highlights.

The definition of "reasonable person" when used in a law better aligns with what we all think is reasonable.

Someone entering your house at night, deadly force permitted. No need to figure out anything else.

I am sure I will remember more...

Last year I worked in San Antonio a lot and saw a ton of signs prohibiting carry down there. You will need to read up and recognize....30.06 and 30.07 signage
As well as the required font size, exact wording and bi-lingual presentation. Too small (like the one on the entrance to the TX SChooldoob Depository museum) and the sign does not count.

I am assuming you are from MA.

Texas recognizes your MA LTC.
End of story -- enjoy your vacation.

:emoji_tiger:

They are seemingly lax in some areas, and oddly restrictive in others. No AWB, no NFA bans, no mag restrictions, no license to purchase, no registration. However, license for concealed carry and open carry required (although, shall issue) and many layers of restricted carry areas, but that's probably because gun culture is so common there. If gun culture was as common in MA, I'm sure all of MA would look like Times Square, but with gun restriction signage.

Hello folks!

Long story short, i'm going on my first vacation of my life to Dallas and possibly also Houston this November. I have traveled before but never to this extent usually keeping it local with Boston or New York trips. But to push myself to do some life goals, I decided to visit Texas like I always wanted and see a few celebrities I admire in the process.

My main thing is, how does one still exercise his second amendment rights in a state so far away? I know with say rhode island you have to get a visitors license or whatever it's called so that you can carry in Rhode Island. But I know Texas's gun laws are extremely lax. and their will also be no layover on my flight.

It's honestly not the end of the world if I can't, If it's not realistic than it is what it is as I only have 4 months. But is their any way for me to transport a licensed firearm from MA to Dallas for a weekend?

I have no idea how it works. So forgive me. I have looked it up and it's a mumble jumble of different conclusions. I know a few people here who have always helped me with concerns and such.

Hope everyone had a great independence day. God bless.

Enjoy big D. Have you looked into the process of checking/flying with firearms ? Many here with experience...sounds pretty straight forward but seems to vary slightly by airline.

Back
Top Bottom