• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

VA use of DBQs (Disability Benefits Questionnaires) and Primary Care Providers

All,

So I am finally getting around to doing something I should have done three years ago, file paperwork with the VA for a disability rating. I have neck (compressed C-5) and back (compressed L-4) issues that are definitely service related from driving boats in weather I shouldn't have, consistently, for more of my career than not, as well as Tinnitus from the constant engine noise.

While these pale in comparison to disabilities that or fellow service members are coming home with, they still suck.

Has anyone used the VA DBQs and seen a primary care provider to get them completed rather than going to the VA? If you have, how was the process? Did the ratings actually take less time?

Disability Benefits Questionnaires - Compensation

My recommendation would be to make a visit to your local Veterans Agent in your town. They can help a great deal and know all of the ins and outs. Call and get an appointment.

The DAV won't call me back, and honestly, I don't expect them to. There are people coming back in worse shape than me, and they are pretty busy....

National vet orgs such as DAV have offices in JFK Federal Bldg. Their sole purpose is to help vets file claims. You can request your military records using forms found online. Disability ratings can be simple when your entry physical says your hearing was perfect, now your hearing is only 70%. Having audiology reports that show your present hearing level is critical.

You can file your claim now, forms are online, and submit supporting documentation later. Benefit payments if any, will start from date of filing, so get claim filed asap.

All I can tell you is that I went and talked to my local veteran agent. He did all the paper work and mailed it in. I got some confusing letters back from the VA and I brought those to him. He took care of those too. Then I got a phone call from Philadelphia, from the VA office there, that I didn't understand what they needed. Had Philly call my local agent and he handled it.

Use the veterans agent. They are a great resource. It took about 9 months but I got some nice hearing aids. Got ear damage from the shipboard guns.

All I can tell you is that I went and talked to my local veteran agent. He did all the paper work and mailed it in. I got some confusing letters back from the VA and I brought those to him. He took care of those too. Then I got a phone call from Philadelphia, from the VA office there, that I didn't understand what they needed. Had Philly call my local agent and he handled it.

Use the veterans agent. They are a great resource. It took about 9 months but I got some nice hearing aids. Got ear damage from the shipboard guns.

I was in a small town at the time with a shared vet agent who never sent out the exemption forms to the town vets. Really useless political appointment. I started the claim on my own, DAV helped me organize things. VA gave me the best hearings on the market. Nice to be able to hear again.

I was in a small town at the time with a shared vet agent who never sent out the exemption forms to the town vets. Really useless political appointment. I started the claim on my own, DAV helped me organize things. VA gave me the best hearings on the market. Nice to be able to hear again.

I guess the quality of agents can vary. I'm sorry to hear that yours doesn't do his/her job. If you don't complain to your selectmen or town manager it won't get any better. Good luck and thankfully we have a good one here in town.

Most VA hospitals have a DAV rep there just to help out people like you. Call your closest VA hospital and ask when they are there. Have him help you with the forms.

Eventually you will get an appointment for a 'Comp & Pen'(Compensation and Pension) exam and consult. If you have any supporting info from a private DR, bring it with you. The more support info you have, the better. (Bolded for importance)

Be aware that claims are taking at least a year to process. During that time you will get letters about every 3 months saying that they're still working on you claim. They won't forget you.

If you are awarded a monetary claim, it will be retroactive to the date of your application. You'll get a big check and then monthly's from that point on.

Youll have to be nearly deaf to get anything for hearing loss, so don't count on that unless your are severely impaired, but severe tinnitus will get you 10%. You might get 0% for hearing loss. That amounts to no money but means that they recognize it as service related and will care for it in the future.

good luck

Thanks everyone. I'm going to shoot on over to the DAV in Nashua sometime next week (this week is full) and meet with someone.

The neck and back issues are what I want documented as service related as well as the tinnitus.

I'm glad somebody brought this up. I have no idea how to submit my records from my time in service to register for any disability claim. I physically have copies of my service, medical and dental records, but I don't know what to do with them.

Sadly, the VA sucks. There are more than 1 million Vets with papers tied up in the system.
Any political figure that said he was for vets would want the VA's assclown director of the VA canned right away.

Good luck with your claim.

smitty

Va does suck. I had a heck of a time with them. Instead of a long posting pm me. Been through the whole process. Can give some hints.

The neck and back issues are what I want documented as service related as well as the tinnitus.

I'll be right there with you. It's going to be a close race whether my back, neck, knees, and hearing hold out until 20. 18 straight years at surf and HX Motor Lifeboat Stations by the time this tour's up...

Wind noise, bro. I think it does more damage than engine noise. Even running at 2100 (or 2800 for those of us that ran the real Motor Lifeboats) that wind noise seems more damaging than the engine noise. I'm basing this on a completely unscientific and unreasoned hunch - but I've found if I'm adamant enough about it nobody bothers questioning it. And when I got to the west coast I found out they've been using ear pro working under HH-65's the whole time. Can't think of one time back on the east coast we ever used hearing protection under HH or MH-60's. It was always taboo to block out what little radio comms you could hear.

OK being a Disabled Vet myself. Just a quick word not all VA Regional Offices are bad. I would get in contact with the local DAV National Service Officer. They usually have an Office adjacent to the VA Regional Office. Your Paperwork needs to go through the Regional Office not the the VA Med Center. What is taking a long time is the compensation and Pension appointments. If you have the DAV fight your case it will go much better. Just remember they will go for the lowest percentage they can, so it is a good Idea to appeal the first award of Disability the worst they can say is no. @ Beam do not give them your the medical records you should get a notarized copy. If that is the only one there is and it gets lost you are screwed. I hope this helps if someone needs help let me know I will try to help. Please do not sign up with these Lawyers you see on TV the will just screw you. The DAV, American Legion, and The VFW all have National Service Officers to help for free.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom