VA Tech Freshman Arrested for Illegal Possession 'Assault Weapon'

Horrible

NES Member
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...h-student-charged-with-illegal-gun-possession

Virginia Tech Student Charged With Illegal Gun Possession
BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) — A Virginia Tech freshman has been charged with illegally possessing an assault weapon as a foreigner.

Virginia Tech spokesman Mark Owczarski told local media that Yunsong Zhao of China was arrested Monday. He faces up to five years in prison if convicted of possessing an AR-15 assault weapon, which foreigners cannot have under Virginia law, and of trying to order 5,000 rounds of ammunition.

I had a POS supposedly top MGH Boston surgeon have one of his fellow countryman visitors observe a wrist exam. I should have objected. No way in hell I would go back to him after the way he talked to me and told me to live with the pain. They both looked like the guy they hauled in.

Last edited:
Boy, they sure do like to pick and choose which protections foreigners have under the law.

Drive: check
Vote: but of course
Collect welfare: here's your EBT card
Free medical care: right this way
Reduced/no cost education: here are your books, too
Own a gun: ZOMGGGG! Book 'em Dano.

Geez, will the DA at least let the accused make his phone call to the punk in Falmouth with AK47 (larger cal), multiple firearms and rounds, and drugs, to find out how to get a suspended sentence?

I read another report he bought a "rifle" and was attempting to convert it to an "assault weapon" with no other explanation. ????

And Bleep Yeah to guns for foreigners. Think about it. If we believe they have 1A rights, why do we think they don't have 2A rights? Shall Not Be Infringed still means Shall Not Be Infringed. I bet if some Frog was over in the Colonies in 1799 with a pistol in his belt, no one batted an eye.

Wasn't there a related Supreme Court case about this in which a Canadian couple wanted to purchase a hand gun while in the US? My google fu is weak this afternoon.

This guy is going to have it shoved up his ass sideways. My guess is he'll serve a couple years then get deported. He's not in a protected class, unlike that illegal who shot the woman in SF and walked..

Guessing he was here on a stufent (non-immigrant) visa? If so, federal law means ammo and gun possession is a no-go.

Guessing he was here on a stufent (non-immigrant) visa? If so, federal law means ammo and gun possession is a no-go.

If that's the case then it's shitty reporting in that article. They make it sound like he violated state law, not federal law. Shitty reporting regardless.

State laws that discriminate based on nationality have been overturned by federal courts. Kentucky passed a law to limit carry licenses to U.S. citizens, but that was overturned. There was a poster on opencarry.org by the name of TrueBrit who was a longtime permanent resident with a Kentucky license, who found himself suddenly unable to carry legally.

He passed away suddenly. I don't remember if he lived to see that law overturned, or not.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Yes, he was on a student visa, which means that under federal law, he was not allowed to receive or possess a firearm or ammunition. (Student visas aren't resident visas.)

The charge stems from only one thing: that a detective swore he saw the subject shooting a rifle with a 30 round magazine. Meanwhile, he only owned 20 round magazines, and no 30 rounder was recovered in any of the three search warrants.

Because he's been expelled, he lost his student visa and has a detainer for deportation. That's why the judge refused bond, because if he's released, he would be deported before VA could try him. Wait... WTF? Why would VA want to spend the money on a trial, if they could just let him be sent back instead?

All that aside, both the federal and state laws involved here are ridiculous.

Montgomery County judge denies Zhao bond citing immigration detainer

I had a POS supposedly top MGH Boston surgeon have one of his fellow countryman visitors observe a wrist exam. I should have objected. No way in hell I would go back to him after the way he talked to me and told me to live with the pain. They both looked like the guy they hauled in.

Declare him a terrorist combatant and give him a one way to Gitmo

Show us on the doll where the chinaman touched you.

Last edited:
Former student expelled after gun arrest sues Virginia Tech
Yunsong Zhao filed a complaint Thursday saying police violated his rights in falsely arresting him, and school officials violated his due process rights in dismissing him.

Police claim they saw Zhao at a local range shooting a semi-automatic rifle with a 30-round magazine. Virginia prohibits non-citizens from having guns with magazines holding more than 20 rounds.

But police never found a 30-round magazine in searching Zhao's room and vehicles. A judge has expressed doubt about a conviction.

Back
Top Bottom