• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

VA Appeal help!

I am a veteran of Afghanistan that was nearly killed in an firefight in country years back and I am currently getting jacked around by the VA, the army rated me at 90% then the VA came back with 10%, which I fought and got raised to 40% now. I broke my back and neck, and ended up getting cancer from exposure to DU in country, and the burn pits in the Camp Chapman area, I need some kind of help starting another appeal because I am just tired to be honest and I need help. Years of physical pain and now stage 4B cancer have just worn me out, and I can't deal with the VA by myself now. Anyone out there able to help me out at all???

Contact your local DAV office or if you are near a VA hospital, they usually have a DAV rep there to help out. Or you can contact a regional DAV office. I've worked with the one in Providence and the DAV rep in the Brockton V Hospital.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Call the VetCenter in Worcester. Make an appointment with them. They will help you fill out your paperwork and help track things. Also, Join the DAV. They will do the same and help push through. Good luck and don't stop fighting....that's what they want you to do- give up. Don't.

Last edited:
Call Peggy Mathews 978-877-3974. She was great to work with and knew how to handle the VA. Her website is veteransadvocacyservices.org. I started 2 claims this past August, and both are already done. She is a little scatter brained, but knows her stuff.

Veterans Outreach Center - Metrowest
255 Main Street, Suite 213
Marlborough, MA 01752
Phone (508)460-9993

They have a LOT of experience helping with claims. Much better than DAV. Also agree with recommendation to hookup with local vets center. They can't help with claims or appeals, but they can write supporting letters, and it's a place to get together with other vets going through the same process.
Don't give up. Appeal Everything.

Keep up the fight brother!! I feel your pain and frustration.

I am a veteran of Afghanistan that was nearly killed in an firefight in country years back and I am currently getting jacked around by the VA, the army rated me at 90% then the VA came back with 10%, which I fought and got raised to 40% now. I broke my back and neck, and ended up getting cancer from exposure to DU in country, and the burn pits in the Camp Chapman area, I need some kind of help starting another appeal because I am just tired to be honest and I need help. Years of physical pain and now stage 4B cancer have just worn me out, and I can't deal with the VA by myself now. Anyone out there able to help me out at all???

The local DAV will be an advocate for you. They will do all the leg work if you ask. I speak from experience. Good luck and PM me if yo need any guidance outside of that.

with a 90% disability from the army I take it you are getting disability/retirement pay from the Army? (if not I think you are getting screwed.) Dav is the way to go they know the insides and outsides of the VA system.
Good luck and keep fighting.

I thank you very very much for your service and sacrifice, lot's of good advice and willingness to help here, hang in there it will work out.

Tim [thumbsup]

How ever you get the claim help you're looking for, be aware that it will be a long wait once the VA gets the claim.

They are WAY overwhelmed. I put in 2 claims over the past 3 years. One took exactly 12 months to resolve on appeal after it was turned down. The other was 16 months. They will send you letters every 2-3 months to let you know they haven't forgotten you.

Don't let the delays dishearten you. If you apply for a money benefit and get it approved, the amount is paid retroactively to the date the claim was filed. You'll get a big first check.

good luck

How ever you get the claim help you're looking for, be aware that it will be a long wait once the VA gets the claim.

They are WAY overwhelmed. I put in 2 claims over the past 3 years. One took exactly 12 months to resolve on appeal after it was turned down. The other was 16 months. They will send you letters every 2-3 months to let you know they haven't forgotten you.

Don't let the delays dishearten you. If you apply for a money benefit and get it approved, the amount is paid retroactively to the date the claim was filed. You'll get a big first check.

good luck

This!

Dad put in for an upgrade in his disability %. It took almost a year, but the retro check from 40% to 100% allowed my parents to pay off all their bills and put a sizable down payment on a new car. The VA has always been overworked and understaffed, but they will get it done eventually.

Back
Top Bottom