UZI build progress

Parker Duofold

NES Member
Started this build in early December. I have now acquired all of the necessary parts having picked up a Green Mountain 16" barrel in the recent GB. Just for the record this is going to be an UZI semiautomatic rifle with a 16" barrel. The stock will be a fixed wooden UZI stock and not the one posed for this picture. The magazine shown is a preban surplus UZI mag.

I have the full auto cover plate that came with my surplus parts kit converted for semi auto use and I am in the process of ATF neutering (locking out the FA selector switch) of the pistol grip. The receiver is a new McKay along with the McKay semi auto bolt assembly.

I have a little bit of "Dremeling" to to to improve the fit of the top cover and need to take this slowly. So, after I get all of the parts to fit right I will clean everything up and bead blast all of the parts before painting. Lots more to do and will try to post more pics as I progress.

uzi_rifle_01.jpg

How is it coming. Biggest issue I had was with the spring and button holding on the top cover. The receiver needed some slight bending in order the spring and catch to stay where it is supposed to stay and not fling across the room when you removed the top cover.

I have some fitting to do relative to the top cover fitting also. Want to be careful that I "adjust" things in the right places and take it slowly. I'll be working on this next week and will post more pictures then.

very nice. how is it? is heat treating required? can i use a standard harbor freight mig welder?

You can buy the flat cutout, plus weld kit, and do the bending and welding yourself. But unless you are really good and know how to position everything, why invest the time and money? Just get the fully welded receiver from McKay. You'll probably spend more in parts and jigs and fixturing if you DIY. Only advantage is to get one that's not a true receiver, and thus not 4473'd.

Well, eleven (11) months later and I finally found some time over the Christmas holiday to complete the build enough to take the new rifle to the range for a test firing. The gun went "bang" with the first chambered round but I had a few problems getting the thing to cycle subsequent rounds. Eventually, after a liberal application of gun oil, I got the thing to blast through about 10 rounds at a time before it baulked at re-chambering a round.

The top cover was still a little tight and was rubbing against the top of the bolt a bit. When I got home I did a little more "customizing" of the top plate and now there appears to be just enough clearance and it's a better fit. I'm going to put a feeler gauge in there and check it.

Should have taken some pictures yesterday but quite frankly, it doesn't look any different now than when I made the first post in the thread. I have the plastic hand guards on it now but otherwise the same. Will post pics after I get it painted up. Thinking of going with new repro grips and such maybe in OD or brown.

Once I got the top cover and latch correct, my gun fired perfectly every time. It's one of my favorite guns. Now you need to get some additional accessories for it.
img_8035.jpgI got the case a year ago but only recently got the heat shroud fromhttp://www.titleiiarms.com/UZI_Heat_Shrouds.php

Mark

Looks great nhfiat! Those Titleiiarms fake suppressors are great. I have the solid one, I like the heat shield version you have, looks great!

Parker, how are you going to finish your Uzi - paint?

Last edited:
Parker, how are you going to finish your Uzi - paint?

Yes. I bought some of that "gun coat" from D&D Sales which appears to be nitrocellulose lacquer. I painted the top cover and after shooting it again today, there are a couple of scratches in the paint. I don't know how this is going to hold up over the long run. Maybe I should try something else.

Still a little trouble with feeding rounds. Gets a bit balky at times...maybe it's the magazines. I have five mags for it and have tried two so far.

I bought the gun coat paint too.... haven't used it. By the sounds of your experience, I think I won't. I had a 1911SC cerekoted at Paper City Firearms and it came out great.. think I'll do the same with the Uzi..... maybe I'll do it in FDE... I actually adapted a rail on the top cover and attached a Vortex red dot.. I think I also got that idea from Beaker..

Attachments

• Uzi-1.jpg
    Uzi-1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 132
  • Uzi-4.jpg
    Uzi-4.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 112
I just ordered some 25 round magazines. From what I have read on UZI TALK they work better. Turbo, your build looks great! Similar to mine really. The Cerekote sounds like a good idea and maybe I'll look into that.

Yep... I think we both purchased around the same time from Mckay for the receiver.. if I remember correctly and somewhere else for the parts kit that BeaKER POSTED ABOUT..

If you are able to parkerize it, I would highly recommend going that route. I did mine in Duracoat and it is holding up great, but my buddy parkerized his and it looks so much nicer. And it looks like a real factory Uzi. And you know that the parkerize will get everyone, in all the nooks and crannies to protect it.

Yes. I bought some of that "gun coat" from D&D Sales which appears to be nitrocellulose lacquer. I painted the top cover and after shooting it again today, there are a couple of scratches in the paint. I don't know how this is going to hold up over the long run. Maybe I should try something else.

Still a little trouble with feeding rounds. Gets a bit balky at times...maybe it's the magazines. I have five mags for it and have tried two so far.
I had to mod my 30 Rd German SMG mags for reliable feeding. I had to use a dremel to relieve the front of the mag under the feed ramp as they would catch the top end of the case. It is a slight half moon shape.

I had to mod my 30 Rd German SMG mags for reliable feeding. I had to use a dremel to relieve the front of the mag under the feed ramp as they would catch the top end of the case. It is a slight half moon shape.
I parkerized then used HK black gunkote. Has held up extremely well. Looks like the original imports which were painted.

factory finish on the commercial (model a for sure as I owned one for years.) uzi's was park then paint. with that said I just black parked mine and it looks awesome. I think the Military uzi's where just parked.

The military uzis came in a few different finishes. If you buy enough of the kits or parts you'll see what I mean.

The old FN made ones (1960s era) had parkerize with a gray/green paint over it. You will get this with some of the Hebrew marked MG parts. Most of the military issues ones were just parkerize, you'll see this if you order the "DES" marked lowers.

I haven't seen parts from one yet, but I heard that there were Israeli issue ones that had a black semi-gloss paint over park.

Duracoat makes a "uzi green" that is supposed to match those old 1960s painted ones if you want that look.

And like you said, the commercial semi-autos were all paint over park I believe.

So...yeah. You can finish it just about any way and it'll be accurate to something that was military issue! Green paint, black paint, parkerize...

factory finish on the commercial (model a for sure as I owned one for years.) uzi's was park then paint. with that said I just black parked mine and it looks awesome. I think the Military uzi's where just parked.

My parts kit did not come with the sling swivel or the rivet. I have a number of questions relative to this.

1. Which rivet do I buy? The "Commercial" rivet or the "IMI" rivet?
2. The 90 degree rivet or the 360 degree rivet?

http://www.uziparts.com/Uzi-Sling-Swivel-UZI-SS.htm

3. How do I upset the rivet on my already finished receiver? When installing a rivet I usually just bash the think down or, if necessary, heat it a bit. I don't know if I can get a hammer in there to do the bashing.

-----------
Just read a little more about this and I guess you should weld the pin to the swivel. welding skills = 0 [laugh]

Last edited:
for the sling swivel rtg had them (they come as a cut out piece of the receiver still riveted to it. ) for $12 bucks. I drilled out the end (the outside of the swivel and drove the old one out and then just made a new stud/rivet (on the lathe) and then hammered the end. (stuck the inside of the receiver on a hunk of steel placed in my vise and used a center punch to peen the rivet. )

as for the rivet use whatever style you want.

I'm working on the same project! I just did my sling swivel -- I ordered the parts from http://www.uziparts.com/UZI-RECEIVER-PARTS_c3.htm

Pretty simple install, just used a ball peen hammer to flatten the rivet. As it mushroomed it cracked slightly at the edges, so I sanded it down afterward to smooth everything out. Its all good now and when I blast and park everything it should look perfect.

My parts kit did not come with the sling swivel or the rivet. I have a number of questions relative to this.

1. Which rivet do I buy? The "Commercial" rivet or the "IMI" rivet?
2. The 90 degree rivet or the 360 degree rivet?

http://www.uziparts.com/Uzi-Sling-Swivel-UZI-SS.htm

3. How do I upset the rivet on my already finished receiver? When installing a rivet I usually just bash the think down or, if necessary, heat it a bit. I don't know if I can get a hammer in there to do the bashing.

-----------
Just read a little more about this and I guess you should weld the pin to the swivel. welding skills = 0 [laugh]

If you have the NODAK spud receiver you need to modify the rivet so it rotates 90 degrees. You basically take the round rivet and cut it down so it will fit into the recess and rotate 90 degrees (Up and horizontal). I have a rivet tool I will modify so it will fit into the small space on the swivel to upset the rivet, I honestly haven't gotten around to it yet, but need to as I have a surplus Israeli sling to put on the gun. I was going to make up some kind if anvil tool to support the rivet.

excellent, the link that maswell posted has a link to a picture of the mod to the rivet.
1394238765341-157429890.jpeg

Ok, just got my Title II Uzi fake can.... Looks great, but all those little holes have an edge... not good to wrap your hand around at all... don't like it, should have been chamfered.. anyone else have that issue or notice it... I'm thinking they skipped a step on mine..

Ok, just got my Title II Uzi fake can.... Looks great, but all those little holes have an edge... not good to wrap your hand around at all... don't like it, should have been chamfered.. anyone else have that issue or notice it... I'm thinking they skipped a step on mine..

I have the solid one, and no burrs or sharp edges at all. I would contact them and ask them to fix it.

Good suggestion... calling right now.. I just hate to be a PITA... but, I think I paid enough to expect it to be finished properly.. everything about it seems 1st class.. except that..

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom