UV-5R

You can copy and paste the repeaters you want into one tab, but once you paste it into your radio window, the location data goes away. I would suggest setting up one tab the way you want it, export it to .csv, then print it from excel so you know what channels are what. I never figured out how to program alpha numeric labels in these things, if you even can.

Ok great.. Thanks

Ok great.. Thanks

It is possible to add alpha-numeric in CHIRP and the Baofengs. However, you have to change an option on the phone to display the name vs the channel number or freq. As soon as you enable that option on the radio, the "names" used in CHIRP will display.

There's a good thread or 2 in here on that, but the really short story is:

* Get the ARRL Technician study guide and spend some time with it.
* Go to qrz.com and grind through the Technician practice tests over and over. They have the same exact questions/answers as the pool of 350ish questions the FCC draws from to make a test. Once you pass it 4 out of 5 times you are ready for the real test.
* Find a local Ham club. They can administer the FCC test and many clubs hold test sessions once a month. Even better, join the club and hang out with them a bit. Learning from people is better than books.
Note: In the studying, don't wory about the theory much. If you stick with ham radio as a hobby the theory will come in time. Do learn the rules and operating procedures enough to stay out of trouble.

Also, several clubs, including the one in Gloucester (www.caara.net) give "get your Tech. in a day" classes once or twice a year. My son and I got ours that way. We arrived Saturday a.m. no preparation, studied under their guidance all day and passed the test that evening. That was almost 3 years ago, but if I recall about 8 NES people got their licenses that day.

I bought a book to help me study.

I passed the test in Gloucester.

I would not have passed had I not studied the book first.

To study - only memorize the answers. It's that easy.

For OPSEC I got a PO Box before the test so my home address won't show up in the national database.

Cost $70 per year at USPS but it is worth it.

Also get a FCC Registration Number (FRN) - so you won't have to give your Social Security number when you get your HAM License.

To get a FRN - you still need a SS# but you only need to give it once. You can apply in minutes on the FCC site and you'll need that number when you take the test along with your mailing address.

I have not gotten into HAM much yet, but a whole world of fun is out there.

This forum is a great place to start.

I bought a book to help me study.

I passed the test in Gloucester.

I would not have passed had I not studied the book first.

To study - only memorize the answers. It's that easy.

For OPSEC I got a PO Box before the test so my home address won't show up in the national database.

Cost $70 per year at USPS but it is worth it.

Also get a FCC Registration Number (FRN) - so you won't have to give your Social Security number when you get your HAM License.

To get a FRN - you still need a SS# but you only need to give it once. You can apply in minutes on the FCC site and you'll need that number when you take the test along with your mailing address.

I have not gotten into HAM much yet, but a whole world of fun is out there.

This forum is a great place to start.
Congratulations and welcome to the hobby!!![party]

While you're in the studying mood, get your General. In some ways it's easier than the Tech. Having the General opens up the whole world of ham radio to you. You can work the world with a simple wire antenna hung from the trees that you made for $20.

Are you going to find a Field Day site to hang out at? You'll learn more in a few hours of hanging around a club on Field Day than in a month by yourself in a basement shack.

Congratulations and welcome to the hobby!!![party]

While you're in the studying mood, get your General. In some ways it's easier than the Tech. Having the General opens up the whole world of ham radio to you. You can work the world with a simple wire antenna hung from the trees that you made for $20.

Are you going to find a Field Day site to hang out at? You'll learn more in a few hours of hanging around a club on Field Day than in a month by yourself in a basement shack.

Hampden County Radio Association Field Day School Street Park Agawam MA on Field Day!

Just wondering, how do you know you are getting the latest and greatest of these? Is there a version number? Is there such a thing as a UV6R?

What are the good deals, and what should one get with them? ie: extra battery, microphone, charging station, programming cable, other antenna, etc?

Thanks.

Well, I found an answer to my own question. Here is what I posted in the other thread:

Not sure, but from there, I saw a UV9R. Is that an upgrade/update to the UV5R?

These two are upgrades to the UV-5R.​

BaoFeng UV-S9 Plus(Upgrade of UV-5R) 8-Watt 2200mAh Larger Battery with USB Charger Cable Rechargeable Long rang VHF UHF Dual Band Amateur Ham Two Way Radio(Black)​

Amazon product ASIN B08J495X6TView: https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-S9-Plus-Upgrade-Rechargeable/dp/B08J495X6T/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=BaoFeng+UV-S9+Plus%28Upgrade+of+UV-5R%29+8-Watt+2200mAh+Larger+Battery+with+USB+Charger+Cable+Rechargeable+Long+rang+VHF+UHF+Dual+Band+Amateur+Ham+Two+Way+Radio%28Black%29&qid=1610854521&sr=8-1

Airiton&BAOFENG UV-S9 Plus 8W/4W/1W Tri-Power Two Way Radio 2200mAh Battery Dual Band Ham Radio with USB Charger Cable (Black)​

Amazon product ASIN B08M5KBCZZView: https://www.amazon.com/Airiton-BAOFENG-Tri-Power-2200mAh-Battery/dp/B08M5KBCZZ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=BaoFeng+UV-S9+Plus%28Upgrade+of+UV-5R%29+8-Watt+2200mAh+Larger+Battery+with+USB+Charger+Cable+Rechargeable+Long+rang+VHF+UHF+Dual+Band+Amateur+Ham+Two+Way+Radio%28Black%29&qid=1610854521&sr=8-2

So, the question is, which model, and which accessories/addons? I think they are up to $32 for the basic model.

Just curious about options about extra or bigger batteries vs. chargers, antennas, microphones, programming cords, etc.

Then there is whether to go to the newer UV-S9. What extra does that get you? Power? Longevity? More capabilities?

Here is the description on the Baofeng UV-S9:

About this item​

• 【Function Upgrade】BaoFeng UV-S9 Plus is upgrade of UV-5R. High/ Mid/Low Power (8W/4W/1W),Dual band / dual display / dual standby,AUTO Keypad Lock.FCC ID: 2AU74UV-S9
  • 【Worry-free Charging】With optional methods to charge the battery.Multiple charging mode.We will send a USB Battery Charger Cable to you.
  • 【Product Features】Frequency Range: VHF: 136-174MHz (RX/TX), UHF: 400-520MHz (RX/TX), 65-108MHz (Only commercial FM radio reception). Channels:128 groups of storage channels,Broadband (Wide) 25khz / Narrowband (Narrow) 12.5khz Selectable
  • 【With 771 Antenna】771 Antenna,can increase the communication distance and make your conversation smoother
  • 【Special Service】Baofeng programming cable use PL2303 chip,compatible with Mac, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1,Windows 10 system, also work fine with chirp software.A link to the special Baofeng UV-S9 Plus programming software and firmware can be provided free of charge according to your requirements.

What is the one to get? How do you tell if real or fake? Programming cord? Bigger battery? Charging station? 2 for 1?

So many options, all just a slight difference from the previous or next.

I bought this version and selected the buying options to make sure it was "shipped from and sold by Amazon" in case there was a warranty issue.
Amazon product ASIN B007H4VT7AView: https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R-Dual-Radio-Black/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=zg_bs_912322_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=8AWFNB1FQZ733MPTDFBX
Costs a few more dollars that way, but better than buying a useless factory defective brick with no recourse.
At the bottom is this:
View attachment 453257

BaoFeng BF-F8HP (UV-5R 3rd Gen) 8-Watt Dual Band Two-Way Radio (136-174MHz VHF & 400-520MHz UHF) Includes Full Kit with Large Battery​

My 5vr arrived today and I realized it doesn't come with the programing cable. I was surprised that the authentic cables from BaeofengTech cost almost as much as the radio does. These are neat little radios.

Edit: Well my authentic cable arrived today. Other than having to press it harder into the jack than I thought at first, seems to work perfectly with Chirp. Manually added Boston Police, Fire, and EMS, in addition to NOAA, and it seems to pick all the channels up perfectly.

Last edited:
At the bottom is this:
View attachment 453257

BaoFeng BF-F8HP (UV-5R 3rd Gen) 8-Watt Dual Band Two-Way Radio (136-174MHz VHF & 400-520MHz UHF) Includes Full Kit with Large Battery​

After playing with the UV-5R a bit, I think the newer UV-5X3 is likely better than the BF-F8HP, even though the F8-HP has a higher wattage due to the ability to program the UV-5X3 on the fly without the interface cable, scan channels/bands more easily, and have channel names on the display. UV-5X3's redesigned interface is much more user friendly from everything I've read.

New Firmware, Features, Options, and Menus: Only available on the UV‑5X3.​

s-1.jpg

Display Synchronization​

An exciting, new feature on the UV‑5X3 takes full advantage of the LCD’s dual line display. In the past the dual display allowed you to monitor two different frequencies at once. Unfortunately, for user’s that only wanted to monitor a single channel, the secondary line was of no use… until the UV‑5X3!
The UV‑5X3 allows users, who want to display the most information at once, to synchronize the display. This allows the LCD to show both the channel’s frequency and channel name simultaneously. Display synchronization allows the user to maximize the available information seen at a glance!
s-2.jpg

Modify the Scanning List​

A brand new menu allows for one of the biggest conveniences while scanning: Modifying the Scanning List!
Before the UV‑5X3, you couldn’t manage the channel scan list without a computer. The brand new menu in the UV‑5X3 allows you to easily add and remove channels from the scanning list. Have a nuicanse channel that you want removed from the scan list? You no longer need to go home to a computer to remove it: A simple menu allows you modify your channel scan list without a computer
s-3.jpg

Channel Mode Modifications​

The UV‑5X3 comes out of the rut that all other UV‑5 series radios are stuck in. The UV‑5X3, built with the amateur radio operator in mind, allows channel modifications on-the-fly.
Previously and on other current UV‑5 models, you were forced to delete a channel and then recreate it from scratch if you wanted to alter any settings.
The UV‑5X3 allows common edits to the channels: Such as adding, changing, or removing the privacy tones (CTCSS & DCS); or changing the power level. You no longer have to delete and recreate the channel over simple channel modifications.
s-4.jpg

Scan a Frequency Range​

Scanning in frequency mode, just became practical! Exclusively on the BTECH UV‑5X3: You are able to scan through a specific frequency range.
Scanning frequencies before the UV‑5X3 required the user to scan the full frequency band they were using. This was not practical if you only wanted to watch for activity on a particular section of the band (such as only 222-225MHz in the above pictured example). The UV‑5X3 will scan at the frequency step you select in menu, which allows you to scan by increments from 2.5 to 50KHz. You can now scan through a fine tuned portion of the receiving band without having to wait and scan the whole band!

Does anyone have any experience setting one of these radios on marine band Frequencies?

I’d like to use one as a backup to a backup or a loaner for someone I drop on the beach with no cell service.

Last edited:
UV-5X3?
BF-F8HP?

Haven't looked at these in quite a while.

What is the latest version of Baofeng now, and the best place to get them? What should one get with them, such as larger/second battery, larger/second antenna, charging base, programming cord, etc.

How does one know if it is real or counterfeit?

Is it still 5r, 8r, 9r, ?10r??

After playing with the UV-5R a bit, I think the newer UV-5X3 is likely better than the BF-F8HP, even though the F8-HP has a higher wattage due to the ability to program the UV-5X3 on the fly without the interface cable, scan channels/bands more easily, and have channel names on the display. UV-5X3's redesigned interface is much more user friendly from everything I've read.
Maybe a new one will pick up the slack and get the best of both.

Check out the potential of the Quansheng UV-K5 (or K6) on the plethora of videos on YouTube.

Same price range as a Baofeng, no RX / TX restrictions with multiple firmware mods available, faster scan, on-board USB charging, 18-3000 Mhz range, spectrum analyzer, screen customization, CHIRP compatible, et cetera.

Here's one to start :

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kqr8t0_4EXU

Back
Top Bottom